How to send money to Bangladesh
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Bangladesh.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Remittances contribute significantly to Bangladesh's economy, according to the World Bank, fueled by the more than 10 million migrant workers who send their hard-earned money back home to friends and family. To get as many takas as possible into the hands of your loved ones, look beyond traditional banks to digital money specialists offering the strongest rates and lowest fees on your next transfer.
How we chose these servicesTop picks are our selection of some of the best money transfer products and services on Finder, but we haven't compared every brand in the market. We've included them on some pages to help you make decisions faster, but keep in mind that our top pick may not always be the best fit for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
Online options to send money to Bangladesh
How to send money to Bangladesh online
Sign up and send with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for an account. Use our site to narrow down a money specialist offering the best rate and lowest fees, and create an online account with your name, contact information and proof of valid ID.
- Provide your transfer details. Submit your recipient's name, address and contact information, and choose your preferred method of delivery. Depending on the transfer method, you may also need their Bangladeshi bank account information.
- Pick an amount. Indicate how much you want to transfer, and confirm the exchange rate and any fees before completing your transaction.
- Save your receipt. Hold on to your confirmation details to monitor the progress of your transfer.
Crunching the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Bangladesh
Let's say you want to send $1,000 home to your family in Bangladesh. You find your local bank does not offer Bangladesh money transfers, so you compare two money transfer specialists offering cash pickups and bank deposits to weigh which is cheapest, fastest and most convenient.
|Cash pickup||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 52.6602 BDT||1 AUD = 54.544 BDT|
|Transfer speed||Minutes||1–2 days|
|Amount received||BDT 52,344||BDT 54,326|
The cash transfer specialist ends up being fastest, but the online money transfer service provided better value, delivering some 2,000 more takas to your loved ones.
How to compare transfer companies
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to find the best money transfer specialist for your needs:
- Exchange rates. Look for a provider that offers a strong rate with low markup on the mid-market rate. And note that your strongest rate may require a minimal transfer fee.
- Transfer fees. Most companies charge fees for the convenience of a money transfer. But many reduce fees or waive them altogether for larger amounts.
- Transfer method. Depending on the company, you may be able to initiate a transfer online, over the phone and by visiting a branch.
- Turnaround time. Some companies take up to five business days to process transfers, while others make funds available to your recipient within minutes for an additional fee.
- Pickup methods. Is the transaction managed completely online with funds delivered straight to your recipient’s bank account, or can they visit an agent location and pick up cash in person?
- Minimum transfer amounts. Make sure the amount you're sending is supported by the companies you compare.
- Customer service options. Are phone and email customer support available? Can you reach out for help through online live chat? Also check when these services are available to make sure you can access help whenever you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another country's currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Bangladesh's exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Options for sending money to Bangladesh from Australia
Depending on the transfer specialist you choose, you may be able to send money for delivery by:
- Bank transfer. Send money direct from your Australian bank account to an account in Bangladesh.
- Digital transfer specialist. Online providers like Wise, WorldRemit and OFX can send money quickly and easily.
- Cash pickups. Providers like MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to send funds online, over the phone or from an agent location. Those funds can then be picked up as cash from an agent in Bangladesh.
- Checks. It's a slower method of sending money to Bangladesh, but it may be available with select providers.
Tips for picking up cash
Advise your recipients to practice caution when picking up cash:
- Keep your money hidden until safely deposited in a bank account.
- Avoid questionable parts of town when carrying cash.
- Bring a friend along to provide an extra set of eyes, especially if you're picking up a large number of takas.
Emergency cash transfers
Some situations in life require sending money quickly. For emergency transfers, expect to pay a fee extra to expedite delivery. Confirm the exchange rate and fees you'll pay to avoid unpleasant surprises.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in Bangladesh
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 35% off Dungeons & Dragons, 50% off New Balance shoes, Cheap Echo Show 5 smart home hubs.
How to build a DIY Raspberry Pi arcade machine for retro gaming
We explain everything you need to make your own retro arcade machine, built around the super-flexible Raspberry Pi.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Best energy provider in Australia
Learn how to compare energy providers in your state with our free online tool.
Best Chromebooks in Australia
Work, learn and play with one of the best Chromebooks you can get your hands on in Australia right now.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G Review: Android flagship brilliance
If you can stand the price point, there’s an awful lot to like about Samsung’s highest tier Galaxy S21 handset.
Best home security cameras in Australia
These are the best security camera systems you can get your hands on in Australia.
Best PS4 headsets in Australia
These are the best PS4 headsets you can get your hands on right now in Australia.
How to keep your NBN plan when moving house
Happy with your current NBN plan? Find out what NBN relocation services are available for keeping your NBN provider when you’re moving.
Best drones in Australia
These are the six best drones you can buy right now in Australia.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert