Trade some of the world’s most popular cryptocurrencies on one of Australia’s best-known cryptocurrency exchanges.
- AUD, NZD and USD trading
- Features such as a tax estimator
- Strong security
Not so great for:
- Less-common coins
- Deposit, withdrawal and trading fees
- Liquidity in altcoin markets
Check out our full list of pros and cons or read on.
|Product Name||Independent Reserve Exchange|
|Fiat Currencies||AUD, NZD, USD|
|Cryptocurrencies||BTC, BCH, ETH, LTC, XRP, OMG, ZRX, EOS, PLA, XLM|
Electronic Funds Transfer
None for deposits over AU$100
AU$0.99 for deposits below this amount
SWIFT: None for deposits over $5,000
US/NZD$15 for deposits below this amount
Bank transfer: None for AUD, $20 for non-AUD
XRP: 0.15 XRP
- Lets you trade in AUD, NZD and USD
- Supports bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin and XRP
- Offers strong security features
- Based in Australia
- High trade volumes are required to avoid the 0.5% commission charges
- Manual approval may slow transaction speeds
- A range of transaction and withdrawal fees may apply
Learn more about:
Which fiat and cryptocurrencies are supported?
- Supported fiat currencies: AUD, NZD, USD
- Supported cryptocurrencies: 9 cryptocurrencies
Which payment methods are accepted?
- Electronic Funds Transfer
What's it like to use Independent Reserve?
Platform trading fees
Independent Reserve uses a tiered trading fee system based on 30-day trading volume. Fees start at 0.50% and drop by 0.02% every $50,000 up to $600,000. After that, they keep decreasing, but more slowly.
|30-day trade volume (AUD equivalent)||Trading fee|
Deposit and withdrawal fees
Note that the following are the Independent Reserve's deposit processing fees. They do not include the fees for transferring money to the exchange, such as network fees or SWIFT payment fees.
|EFT||$0.99 or free if $100 or more|
|PayID/Osko||$2.50 or free if $500 or more|
|SWIFT||$15 or free if $5,000 or more|
|Australian dollar withdrawals||Free|
How fast will my funds be available?
Up to 3 days or more
EFT deposits are generally processed in one to two business days. Osko and POLi deposits will typically be processed in one day. SWIFT transfers will take three or more days.
Up to 2-3 days
Withdrawals to Australian bank accounts are usually completed within one day.
International non-USD withdrawals will typically take two to three days.
Is Independent Reserve safe to use?
- Regulation. Independent Reserve is registered with AUSTRAC, has an ABN and has been certified by the Australian Digital Currency Association.
- Verification process. Independent Reserve verifies users in line with its anti-money laundering compliance obligations.
- Security features. Independent Reserve says it keeps the majority of user funds in cold storage, where it is held in vaults in several different locations, with multiple layers of physical security. Accessing the vault requires biometric identification. It also holds insurance for funds.
How do I create an account at Independent Reserve
Ready to sign up?
What else do I need to know about Independent Reserve?
Independent Reserve was founded in 2013 and is a well-known exchange in Australia. It's based in Sydney.
In a nutshell
- AUD and NZD deposits.Most crypto exchanges don't facilitate AUD and NZD deposits. Using Independent Reserve can help you avoid currency exchange fees.
- Full-featured.Independent Reserve offers a range of different trade types, as well as additional features such as a tax estimator tool.
- Insured.Independent Reserve was Australia's first insured cryptocurrency exchange.
- Fees. Independent Reserve charges deposit fees, and with 0.5% base level trading fees, it's more expensive than other exchanges.
- Limited selection. Independent Reserve only offers a limited range of coins.
- Varying liquidity. At the time of writing, Independent Reserve is showing little liquidity in its altcoin markets.