Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
HCF Overseas Visitor Health Cover
Visiting Australia and looking for comprehensive health insurance? Discover the benefits of HCF OVHC.
Moving to Australia and need to find health insurance? HCF Overseas Visitor Health Cover offers a product with you in mind. This comprehensive cover from one of Australia's most recognised health funds is designed specifically for visitors to Australia with the right to work also meeting the requirements of 457 visa applicants. Whether you are here on an approved working visa, visiting for business purposes or a consultant member visiting for diplomatic purposes, you can enjoy comprehensive cover that can be tailored further to your specific requirements.
HCF is Australia’s largest not-for-profit health fund and in 2013 it paid out more than $1.89 billion in benefits. Its Overseas Visitor Health Cover is designed to offer comprehensive protection for a wide variety of visitors to Australia. Ready to receive a quote? Simply enter your details in the form below or continue reading if you would like to find out more.
find out more about hcf overseas visitor health cover
HCF now offers 4 packages for working visitors.
- Basic. HCF Overseas Visitor Basic policy covers you for emergency ambulance rehabilitation and palliative care, emergency department facility fees, medical repatriation and funeral expenses, and all services where a benefit would be payable under Medicare, the Australian public healthcare system.
- Mid. This provides similar services to a Basic policy but higher limits on some services. For example, you'll get up to $100,000 for medical repatriation, compared to $50,000 with a Basic policy.
- Top. Comprehensive cover for overseas visitors. As well as hospital care, you'll get cover for extras services including dental, optical, therapies such as physio and natural therapies like acupuncture.
- Top Plus. The most comprehensive cover HCF offers for visitors, you'll get all the benefits included in previous policies, plus up to $110,000 for medical repatriation and $20,000 for return of mortal remains or funeral expenses.
- Short stay. Short Stay is HCF's most affordable policy. It's designed for healthy singles and couples and covers you for everything that Medicare covers (except pre-existing conditions). This includes doctors' fees, some prescriptions and emergency ambulance services.
- Essentials. Essentials includes all Medicare-covered treatments, heart surgery, hip and knee replacement and more. Cover also included doctors' fees, PBS medicines, and emergency ambulance transport.
- Essentials Plus. Essentials Plus covers doctors' fees both in and out of hospital. You'll also get cover for accommodation, medicines during and after your hospital stay, emergency ambulance transport and a range of other hospital services, including cataracts.
- Travel Insurance. Get 20% discount off HCF Travel Insurance, which is underwritten by Allianz when you’re an HCF member.
- Pet Insurance. HCF Pet Insurance, issued by The Hollard Insurance Company, is available at a 15% discount for HCF members.
- 100% back on extras. HCF gives you up to 100% back on a range of extras treatments for eyes, teeth, muscles, backs, feet and hearing aids.
- My Health Guardian. This online program provides the tools and resources you need to achieve a range of health and lifestyle goals.
- Dental and eyecare centres. HCF operates a network of dental and eyecare centres across metropolitan Sydney.
- Healthy Weight for Life program. This 18-week program helps you reach your weight goals and maintain that healthy weight.
- Ambulance transport by a provider not recognised by HCF
- Ambulance transported where you are covered under another scheme, for example a state ambulance subscription service
- Your claim is for a treatment specifically excluded from your policy
- Your claim is for treatment received while you are serving a waiting period
- You can recover the costs from a third party other than HCF, for example from workers’ compensation insurance
- It is for experimental treatments or treatment not deemed suitable by HCF
- It is for goods or services that are delivered outside Australia, or for treatment that is not delivered face-to-face
- Student visa
- Tourist visa
- Retiree visa not listed above
- The level of cover. The higher the level of extras cover you choose, the more you can expect to pay.
- The excess. The higher the excess amount you choose, the lower your premiums will be. You can choose an excess of: $0 or $250.
- Choose a higher excess. This will result in lower premiums.
- Don’t add extras cover. Your policy will be cheaper if you only opt for the hospital cover provided by HCF Overseas Visitors Health Cover.
- Choose a lower level of extras cover. Choosing a basic level of extras protection will be more affordable that choosing a high level of cover.
- Loyalty benefit. The longer you are an HCF member, the higher the benefit limit you receive for a range of extras treatments.
- You can swipe your membership card at a provider that offers on-the-spot electronic claiming
- You can submit your claim details online through the HCF website
- You can lodge your claim through the HCF claims app
- You can submit a claim form via post
- You can lodge a claim by visiting a HCF branch
Holiday and Working holiday cover
There are certain situations when your HCF Overseas Visitors Health Cover policy will not provide protection. These include:
It’s also worth pointing out that this policy is not available for visitors who hold a:
Finally, keep in mind that waiting periods will apply for certain treatments and procedures. For example, a 12-month waiting period before you can receive cover for the treatment of pre-existing conditions or pregnancy and birth-related services.Back to top
There are a few factors that can affect the cost of your HCF Overseas Visitors Health Cover premiums, such as if you decide to pair extras cover with your policy.
If you receive treatment in hospital, your hospital should bill HCF directly for the cost of your stay. If you need to make an extras claim there are multiple options to choose from with HCF:
If you’re working in Australia but you’re not eligible to receive Medicare benefits, consider HCF Overseas Visitors Health Cover when you need to take care of your private health insurance needs. Compare the features of this cover with those offered by similar policies from other health funds to ensure that you find a policy that’s right for you.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert