Visiting Australia and looking for comprehensive health insurance? Discover the benefits of HCF OVHC.
Moving to Australia and need to find health insurance? HCF Overseas Visitor Health Cover offers a product with you in mind. This comprehensive cover from one of Australia's most recognised health funds is designed specifically for visitors to Australia with the right to work also meeting the requirements of 457 visa applicants. Whether you are here on an approved working visa, visiting for business purposes or a consultant member visiting for diplomatic purposes, you can enjoy comprehensive cover that can be tailored further to your specific requirements.
HCF is Australia’s largest not-for-profit health fund and in 2013 it paid out more than $1.89 billion in benefits. Its Overseas Visitor Health Cover is designed to offer comprehensive protection for a wide variety of visitors to Australia. Ready to receive a quote? Simply enter your details in the form below or continue reading if you would like to find out more.
find out more about hcf overseas visitor health cover
HCF Overseas Visitor Health Cover is designed for international visitors who have the right to work in Australia but are not entitled to receive any Medicare benefits. These include:
- People on a 457 (long stay business), 456 (short stay business), 417 (working holiday), 419 (visiting academic), 405 (investor retirement) or 422 (medical practitioner) visa
- Overseas visitors who are in Australia for business purposes
- Consulate members who are in Australia for diplomatic purposes
The policy covers treatment in a private or public hospital, providing you with your choice of doctor or specialist. You will be covered for:
- Hospital accommodation, operating theatre and intensive care costs in a private or public hospital
- Government-approved prostheses
- Physiotherapy and pharmaceutical costs related to your hospital admission
- Removal of tonsils, adenoids and appendix
- Hernia treatment
- Removal of kidney stones and gallstones
- Digestive disorder procedures
- Heart surgery
- Spinal surgery
- Rehabilitation services
- Pregnancy and birth related services
- Hip and knee replacements
- Cataract and other lens surgeries
- Emergency and non-emergency ambulance
If you wish, you can also pair your policy with one of the following HCF extras cover options to help with the cost of dental, optical, physiotherapy treatment costs and more:
- Basic Extras
- Lifestyle Essentials
- Active Lifestyle
- Lifestyle Plus
- Ultimate Extras
- Travel Insurance. Get 10% discount off HCF Travel Insurance, which is underwritten by QBE when you’re an HCF member.
- Pet Insurance. HCF Pet Insurance, issued by The Hollard Insurance Company, is available at a 10% discount for HCF members.
- 100% back on extras. HCF gives you up to 100% back on a range of extras treatments for eyes, teeth, muscles, backs, feet and hearing aids.
- My Health Guardian. This online program provides the tools and resources you need to achieve a range of health and lifestyle goals.
- Dental and eyecare centres. HCF operates a network of dental and eyecare centres across metropolitan Sydney.
- Healthy Weight for Life program. This 18-week program helps you reach your weight goals and maintain that healthy weight.
There are certain situations when your HCF Overseas Visitors Health Cover policy will not provide protection. These include:
- Ambulance transport by a provider not recognised by HCF
- Ambulance transported where you are covered under another scheme, for example a state ambulance subscription service
- Your claim is for a treatment specifically excluded from your policy
- Your claim is for treatment received while you are serving a waiting period
- You can recover the costs from a third party other than HCF, for example from workers’ compensation insurance
- It is for experimental treatments or treatment not deemed suitable by HCF
- It is for goods or services that are delivered outside Australia, or for treatment that is not delivered face-to-face
It’s also worth pointing out that this policy is not available for visitors who hold a:
- Student visa
- Tourist visa
- Retiree visa not listed above
Finally, keep in mind that waiting periods will apply for certain treatments and procedures. For example, a 12-month waiting period before you can receive cover for the treatment of pre-existing conditions or pregnancy and birth-related services.Back to top
There are a few factors that can affect the cost of your HCF Overseas Visitors Health Cover premiums, such as if you decide to pair extras cover with your policy.
- The level of cover. The higher the level of extras cover you choose, the more you can expect to pay.
- The excess. The higher the excess amount you choose, the lower your premiums will be. You can choose an excess of: $0, $500 or $1,000.
- Choose a higher excess. This will result in lower premiums.
- Don’t add extras cover. Your policy will be cheaper if you only opt for the hospital cover provided by HCF Overseas Visitors Health Cover.
- Choose a lower level of extras cover. Choosing a basic level of extras protection will be more affordable that choosing a high level of cover.
- Loyalty benefit. The longer you are an HCF member, the higher the benefit limit you receive for a range of extras treatments.
If you receive treatment in hospital, your hospital should bill HCF directly for the cost of your stay. If you need to make an extras claim there are multiple options to choose from with HCF:
- You can swipe your membership card at a provider that offers on-the-spot electronic claiming
- You can submit your claim details online through the HCF website
- You can lodge your claim through the HCF claims app
- You can submit a claim form via post
- You can lodge a claim by visiting a HCF branch
If you’re working in Australia but you’re not eligible to receive Medicare benefits, consider HCF Overseas Visitors Health Cover when you need to take care of your private health insurance needs. Compare the features of this cover with those offered by similar policies from other health funds to ensure that you find a policy that’s right for you.