|Product Name||Gemini Cryptocurrency Exchange|
|Fiat Currencies||USD, AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, SGD, HKD|
|Cryptocurrencies||BTC, ETH, BCH, LTC, ZEC, ZRX, MKR, BAT, AAVE, FIL & 30 more|
Bank transfer (ACH)
|Trading Fee||From 0-0.1%+|
Wire transfer: None*
ACH: None * banks may charge transfer fee
Cryptocurrency: Up to 0.002 BTC & 0.001 ETH
Learn more about Gemini
Which fiat and cryptocurrencies are supported?
- Supported fiat currencies: USD, AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, SGD, HKD
- Supported cryptocurrencies: Approximately 41 cryptocurrencies
Which payment methods are accepted?
- Bank transfer (ACH)
What's it like to use Gemini?
Gemini fees and limits
Platform trading fees
The fees below are accurate as of May 31, 2021. All dollar fees are listed in AUD.
Direct buy and sell fees
These transaction fees apply when placing a cryptocurrency buy or sell order through the Gemini website or mobile app. A 0.5% "convenience fee" applies to all transactions.
|$15 to ≤ $35||$2.20|
|$35 to ≤ $75||$3|
|$75 to ≤ $250||$4.5|
Marketplace ActiveTrader fees
These transaction fees apply when buying or selling from the Gemini continuous order books, or the Gemini auction, via the ActiveTrader interface.
You can switch the ActiveTrader interface on or off in your account settings. The direct buy and sell fees listed above will apply when ActiveTrader is switched off.
|30-day trading volume||Maker fee||Taker fee||Auction fee|
|0 to $499,999 USD||0.25%||0.35%||0.25%|
|≥ $500,000 USD||0.15%||0.25%||0.20%|
|≥ $2,500,000 USD||0.15%||0.25%||0.1%|
|≥ $5,000,000 USD||0.1%||0.15%||0.1%|
|≥ $10,000,0000 USD||0.1%||0.15%||0%|
|≥ $15,000,000 USD||0%||0.1%||0%|
Deposit and withdrawal fees
Gemini does not charge any deposit fees, but there may still be fees associated with bank deposits (USA only) and wire transfers (available both inside and outside the USA). Forex fees may also apply when transferring currencies other than US dollars.
Gemini charges nominal fees, broadly equivalent to cryptocurrency network fees, for crypto withdrawals. It does not charge any fees for bank or wire withdrawals, but there may still be fees charged by banks involved in the procedure.
Other fees and when they apply
How fast will my funds be available?
Up to 5 days
Wire transfers may take up to three business days or longer depending on the situation.
Bank transfers can take up to five business days to clear.
Cryptocurrency transfers can be completed within minutes, depending on the cryptocurrency.
Up to 5 days
Wire transfers withdrawals can take several business days to clear, depending on the banks involved.
Bank transfer withdrawals can also take several days to go through, depending on the situation.
Is Gemini safe to use?
- Regulation. Gemini dubs itself "the regulated cryptocurrency exchange". It's one of very few cryptocurrency exchanges with a New York BitLicense, which is regulated by the New York Department of Financial Services. This is one of the world's strictest bodies of cryptocurrency exchange regulations, encompassing a robust set of AML/KYC, market surveillance, capitalisation and security requirements.
- Verification process. Only verified users can trade on Gemini. Verification requires providing some personal details and documentation to support it.
- Security features. Gemini was the first exchange to pass SOC 1 Type 1 and SOC 2 Type 2 examinations, demonstrating a high level of security compliance in protecting user data and funds. It also uses a proprietary cold storage system, and has insurance for assets in custody.
Gemini may be one of the world's highest security cryptocurrency exchanges. Rather than simply following security best practices, Gemini leads them by working with Nasdaq, regulators and other institutions to create these practices.
Gemini itself has never been hacked, although some Gemini users have been hacked through SIM swapping.
How do I create an account at Gemini?
To get started with Gemini:
- Visit the Gemini homepage and click Get Started. Select your account type — personal or business — and enter your country on the next screen.
- Once you've selected your country, enter your name, email and chosen password.
- After signing up, you'll receive an email. Follow the prompts in it to verify your email address.
- Once you verify your email, you'll need to verify your identity before you can start trading. This involves uploading some documents — such as a valid state-issued ID or driver's license — to the Gemini site.
- Once your identity has been verified you can link your debit card or bank account and buy or deposit cryptocurrency.
What else do I need to know about Gemini?
Gemini was founded by the Winklevoss twins, who have been closely involved with Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies since at least 2013.
Gemini was founded in 2014 and is their most prominent cryptocurrency project to date. It's regularly included in the ranks of the world's top cryptocurrency exchanges and works closely with regulators and traditional financial institutions.
It's a New York trust company and is regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYSDFS).
In a nutshell
- Highly regulated. Gemini is one of the most tightly-regulated cryptocurrency exchanges in the world.
- High security. Gemini is actively developing industry-leading security practices.
- Multiple trade types. Between direct buys, the ActiveTrader interface, the auction and fully electronic block trades, Gemini offers many options.
- Deep liquidity. Gemini has highly liquid order books.
- Higher fees than other exchanges. Fees can be as low as 0% in some cases, but can also run considerably higher than other exchanges for equivalent trade types.