BTC Markets cryptocurrency exchange review
Buy and sell 10+ popular cryptocurrencies on this Australian exchange.
- Good for active trading with AUD-to-crypto pairs
- Not so great for trading fees at lower volumes
Check out our full list of pros and cons or read on.
|Product Name||BTC Markets Exchange|
|Cryptocurrencies||BTC, LTC, ETH, ETC, XRP, OMG, POWR, BCH, BAT, GNT & 5+ more|
Electronic Funds Transfer
Maker Fee: -0.05%
Taker Fee: 0.20%
Australian bank accounts: None
Cryptocurrencies: Fees vary
- A simple and effective exchange
- Offers a range of popular currency pairs for trading
- Might be a simple way for beginners to start buying cryptocurrency without paying extra for brokerage services
- Offers a public API programming tool to help automate trades
- Trading fees may not be competitive at low trading volumes
What's in this review?
- What fiat and cryptocurrencies are supported?
- Which payment methods are accepted?
- What's it like to use BTC Markets?
- Fees and limits
- How fast will my funds be available?
- Is BTC Markets safe to use?
- How do I create an account at BTC Markets?
- What else do I need to know about BTC Markets?
- In a nutshell
- Compare BTC Markets against other exchanges
- Frequently asked questions
What fiat and cryptocurrencies are supported?
- Supported fiat currencies: AUD
- Supported cryptocurrencies: Approximately 18 cryptocurrencies
Which payment methods are accepted?
- Electronic Funds Transfer
What's it like to use BTC Markets?
Fees and limits
The fees below are accurate as of 16 December 2020.
Platform trading fees
There is a flat-rate trading fee for all crypto-to-crypto pairs, maker -0.05% & taker 0.2%. The fees in the table below apply to AUD-to-crypto trading pairs and are based on a 30-day rolling average of trade volume.
|Trading Fee %||30 Day AUD Volume|
|0.85%||$0.01 - $500|
|0.83%||$500.01 - $1,000|
|0.80%||$1,000.01 - $3,000|
|0.75%||$3,000.01 - $9,000|
|0.70%||$9,000.01 - $18,000|
|0.65%||$18,000.01 - $40,000|
|0.60%||$40,000.01 - $60,000|
|0.55%||$60,000.01 - $70,000|
|0.50%||$70,000.01 - $80,000|
|0.45%||$80,000.01 - $90,000|
|0.40%||$90,000.01 - $115,000|
|0.35%||$115,000.01 - $125,000|
|0.30%||$125,000.01 - $200,000|
|0.25%||$200,000.01 - $400,000|
|0.23%||$400,000.01 - $650,000|
|0.20%||$650,000.01 - $850,000|
|0.18%||$850,000.01 - $1,000,000|
|0.15%||$1,000,000.01 - $3,000,000|
|0.13%||$3,000,000.01 - $5,000,000|
Deposit and withdrawal fees
You can make AUD deposits for free via bank transfer including Osko and BPAY. Cryptocurrency deposits are also free, but you will be charged standard network fees.
Withdrawal fees vary based on the cryptocurrency selected.
|Ethereum Classic||0.001 ETC|
|Bitcoin Cash||0.0001 BCH|
|Bitcoin SV||0.0001 BSV|
|Power Ledger||54 POWR|
|Basic Attention Token||20 BAT|
|Enjin Coin||28 ENJ|
|Meld Gold||0.0003 MCAU|
|Australian bank transfer||Free|
How fast will my funds be available?
BPAY deposits are generally processed on the same day.
Osko deposits are typically processed within a minute.
NPP withdrawals are typically processed within a minute.
Direct entry withdrawals are generally processed within 1-3 business days.
Is BTC Markets safe to use?
- Regulation. BTC Markets was the first exchange to be Gold Certified by Blockchain Australia. BTC Markets is registered as a Digital Currency Exchange with AUSTRAC.
- Verification process. BTC Markets requires users to get verified for depositing, withdrawing or trading with AUD.
- Security features. BTC Markets recommends that you withdraw and personally hold any funds you're not using for trading. It was established in 2013 and has not been known to have ever experienced a major hack.
How do I create an account at BTC Markets?
What else do I need to know about BTC Markets?
BTC Markets has been in operation without incident since 2013. This makes it one of the oldest cryptocurrency exchanges in Australia. It's based in Melbourne.
In a nutshell
- Popular coin selection. You'll find a range of popular cryptocurrencies on BTC Markets.
- Useful features. BTC Markets offers a full-featured trading experience with useful functions such as stop losses.
- API trading available. BTC Markets is one of the few places you can use automated API trading for AUD-to-crypto pairs.
- Liquidity. Strong Liquidity in BTC and XRP markets.
- Uncompetitive fees. BTC Markets' fees are high compared to some equivalent exchanges, even with the maximum possible fee discount.
- Limited liquidity on some pairs. Not all available trading pairs are active.
- Withdrawal fees vary. The fee structure for cryptocurrency withdrawals can vary wildly between coins depending on the market price at the time.