Visiting Australia and need health insurance to qualify for a visa? Compare OVHC options with Allianz.
If you’re visiting or working in Australia, chances are you won’t be able to access any free or subsidised health care under Medicare. In fact, it may even be a requirement of your visa that you maintain an adequate level of private health insurance cover for the duration of your stay in Australia. This is where overseas visitor health cover (OVHC) comes in. Allianz Global Assistance offers two levels of OVHC for international visitors to Australia: Budget Visitors, and Visitors Plus. Both policies are compliant with visa condition 8501, which applies to both the 457 and 485 visas, and are underwritten by private health insurer Peoplecare Health Limited.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to www.allianz.com.au or compare a bunch of other OVHC companies with finder.
What’s covered by Allianz Global Assistance?
The cover provided by Allianz varies depending on the policy you choose:
- Budget Visitors. This is Allianz Global Assistance’s hospital-only policy. It provides cover for:
- Medical services provided in hospital
- Overnight and same-day hospital accommodation
- In-hospital medications
- Accident and emergency fees that lead to inpatient admission
- Emergency ambulance transport
- Emergency medical repatriation cover
- Surgically implanted prostheses
- Visitors Plus. Visitors Plus is a more expensive policy option that provides a higher level of cover. It covers all the same hospital expenses as the Budget Visitors policy, but with the added benefit that accident and emergency fees that don’t lead to hospital admission are covered. It also includes cover for:
- 100% of the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) fee for out-of-hospital services provided by a GP
- 85% of the MBS fee for blood tests, X-rays and other out-of-hospital medical services
- Medicines prescribed to you by a doctor
Holders of select working visas also have the option to add Allianz’s Basic Extras or Top Extras to their policy to enjoy cover for a wide range of other general treatments, including dental, optical, physio, chiro and complementary therapies.
Are there any additional benefits?
Allianz Global Assistance OVHC policyholders can also benefit from:
- 24-hour support. If you experience a medical or personal situation and you need medical advice and assistance, referral to a doctor, access to legal advice or access to an interpreting service, you can phone Allianz Global Assistance’s 24-hour OVHC helpline.
- Cover for the whole family. There are single, dual and family policies available, allowing you to cover your spouse and/or any dependent children travelling with you.
- Flexible payments. You have the option to pay for your OVHC policy fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, six-monthly or annually. Premiums can be paid by automatic payments from your credit card or bank account.
Policy limitations, exclusions, waiting periods and excesses to be aware of
Allianz Global Assistance OVHC is designed for foreign residents planning on visiting or working in Australia on a temporary visa. However, Allianz also offers overseas student health cover (OSHC) for people coming to Australia to study. There are some specific situations and services for which OVHC from Allianz Global Assistance will not provide any cover, such as:
- Assisted reproductive programs (such as IVF)
- Bone marrow and organ transplants
- Treatment provided outside of Australia
- Treatment for pregnancy-related or pre-existing conditions in the first 12 months of cover
- Services and treatment which are covered by compensation or damages provisions
- Elective cosmetic surgery
- Dental, optical, physio and other general treatments (unless you add Basic Extras or Top Extras to your OVHC policy)
- 12 months for pregnancy-related treatment
- 12 months for pre-existing conditions
- Two months for psychiatric, rehabilitative or palliative care
Waiting periods also apply to some extras services, so check these in the policy document if you decide to include extras with your OVHC policy.
How much does Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Visitor Health Cover cost?
There are a couple of important factors that impact the cost of OVHC from Allianz Global Assistance:
- The level of cover you choose. Visitors Plus cover is more expensive than Budget Visitors cover.
- Whether you add extras. Select visa holders also have the option of adding Basic Extras or Top Extras cover for an additional premium.
- How many people you cover. OVHC for a single person won’t cost as much as cover for you, your spouse and a couple of kids.
How do I make a claim?
If you need to make a claim on your Allianz Global Assistance OVHC policy, you will need to:
- Download a form. The OVHC claim form is available for download from the Allianz Global Assistance website.
- Fill it out. Download and complete the form with details of the service you are claiming.
- Submit your form. You can scan the completed form and any receipts and then email them to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can post your claim and receipts to Allianz Global Assistance OVHC, Locked Bag 3004, Toowong QLD 4066.
Claims are processed within ten working days of being received.
Your questions answered
Compare Allianz Global Assistance health insurance options
If you need OVHC for your stay in Australia, Allianz Global Assistance’s policies are worth a closer look. Compare them with the cover offered by other OVHC providers before deciding whether they’re the right match for your healthcare needs.