Business suit on one side beach outfit on the other

417 Working Holiday Visa Travel Insurance

417 working holiday visa guide and information about getting 417 travel insurance

If you’re interested in embarking on a working holiday in Australia, you’ll need to apply for a Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa. The 417 working holiday visa is designed to suit the needs of young people who want to work and travel in Australia for up to a year. It’s a temporary visa that aims to strengthen Australia’s cultural ties with other countries, but you’ll need to make sure that you satisfy all the necessary eligibility criteria before you apply.

Who offers cover to 417 working holiday visa holders complete

Brands Product Product Details Apply
1Cover Visitors to Australia

Unlimited medical expenses

Travellers who are not an Australian resident

Travellers who are visiting Australia on a temporary basis

Purchase of the policy within 14 days of your arrival in Australia

Travellers who are 16 to 74 years old

Get quoteMore info
Easy Travel Insurance Inbound Travel Insurance

Cancellation or holiday deferment costs

Emergency travel arrangements and accommodation expenses

Medical evacuation and repatriation

Get quoteMore info
CoverMore Inbound

$10 million overseas medical and dental

$10 million additional expenses

$3,000 luggage and travel documents

$1 million personal liability

Get quoteMore info
ProviderTravel insurance conditionsApply
You can get cover if:

  • You are not an Australian resident
  • You are visiting Australia on a temporary basis
  • You have bought cover 14 days before your arrival in Australia
Get quote
Budget Direct Travel InsuranceVisa holders if you have:

  • Valid Medicare card
  • A private health fund
  • Overseas student travel insurance
Get quote
DownunderCover is only available if:

  • You are a not a resident of Australia
  • You purchase your policy before you commence your journey
  • Your Journey consists of one-way travel only to your country of residence from Australia
Get quote
Easy Travel InsuranceTravel Insurance domestic policy is available if you're under 70 years of age and the cancellation and additional expenses policy is available regardless of your age Get quote
Go InsuranceGo insurance policies are available if you:

  • For at least three months been a resident in Australia and are able to prove it
Get quote
InsureandGoInsureandGo offer travel insurance if you're on sponsorship visa or a student visa providing that you have:

  • Valid Medicare card
  • A private health fund
  • Overseas student travel insurance
Get quote
Southern CrossIf you're applying for travel insurance, you must be:

  • Your visa is valid past the end date of your intended travel
  • On a visa or permit that allows you access to all publicly funded health and disability services
Tick Travel InsuranceTick Travel Insurance provides cover for non-residents providing that you have:

  • Valid Medicare card
  • A private health fund
  • Overseas student travel insurance
 Get quote
 travel insurance saver logoTravel Insurance Saver domestic policy is available if you're under 70 years of age and the cancellation and additional expenses policy is available regardless of your age Get quote
Travel InsuranzYou can get cover as long as you been living in Australia for three monthsGet quote
Worldcare Travel InsuranceWorldCare comprehensive policy is available to non-residents providing:

  • You buy your policy in Australia
  • You purchase the policy before you start your journey
  • Your trip begins and ends in Australia
Get quote

Can I get travel insurance on a 417 working holiday visa?

If you're in Australia on a 417 working holiday visa, you can get travel insurance. However, there are some condition including:

  • Age limits. Many policies may only be purchased by those under 70 years of age.
  • Getting cover prior to travel. Generally you can buy cover up to 12 months before you arrive in Australia.
  • Length of your trip. You can normally get cover for trips of up to 12 months.
  • No cover for going home. Most policies will not cover your return trip to your country of residence.

What does an inbound travel insurance policy normally cover?

While conditions vary between travel insurance brands, generally you can expect to be covered for:

  • Accidental death. If you suffer an injury that results in your death, your estate will receive a benefit if your death occurs within one year of the incident.
  • Additional expenses. Covers you for additional expenses you incur as the result of an unforeseen incident.
  • Cancellation. Covers you for cancellation costs you incur if you have to rearrange your journey due to an unforeseen event.
  • Delayed luggage allowance. Covers you for essential items if your bags are delayed for a predetermined amount of time.
  • Hospital incidentals. This benefit covers you for incidentals such as phone calls and magazines.
  • Luggage and travel documents. Covers you if your luggage is damaged, lost or stolen.
  • Medical and dental expenses. Covers you for medical expenses such as ambulances, emergency dental and medical treatment.
  • Personal liability. Covers you if you're legally liable for the injury or death of someone or cause damage to someone's property.

Who’s eligible for a 417 working holiday visa?

If you wish to be granted a 417 working holiday visa, you’ll need to meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • You must be aged between 18 and 30 years when you apply for the visa
  • You must hold a passport from one of the countries listed below, preferably valid for at least six months
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • The United Kingdom
  • You must not be accompanied by any dependent children
  • You must be outside Australia when you lodge your application and when your visa is granted (except if applying for a second Working Holiday visa)
  • You must not have previously entered the country on a Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa or on a Working Holiday visa (except applicants of a second Working Holiday visa)
  • You’ll need to have sufficient funds, generally minimum of $5,000
  • You’ll need to have a return ticket or funds for a departure ticket from Australia
  • You’ll need to meet certain health requirements, and a medical examination may be required, depending on your country of residence
  • You must be of good character

People who have worked for a minimum of three months in a specified field or industry in regional Australia may also be eligible to apply for a second Working Holiday visa. Specified work includes:

  • Plant and animal cultivation
  • Fishing and pearling
  • Tree farming and felling
  • Mining
  • Construction

How to apply

Follow these steps if you want to apply for a 417 working holiday visa:

  1. Fill out form 1150 (application for a working holiday visa). You’ll need to provide the residential address where you intend to live while your application is being processed.
  2. Refer to the same form to calculate the charge for applying. Pay this fee.
  3. Lodge your application along with the payment and your supporting documents. If you’re applying for your first Working Holiday visa, you can mail, fax or hand-deliver your form to any Australian Immigration Office overseas. Applications for a second Working Holiday visa cannot be hand-delivered.

FAQ for 417 working holiday visa holders

Q. Do I need to be in Australia to apply for a second Working Holiday visa?

  •  No. You can apply from outside Australia as long as you’ll also be outside Australia when approval is granted.

Q. How long am I able to work in Australia on a 417 visa?

  •  While this visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 12 months, you can generally only work for up to six months with each employer.

Q. Can I study on a 417 visa?

  •  Yes. You can study in Australia for up to four months on a 417 visa.

Q. Can I leave Australia and return?

  •  Yes. You can leave Australia and return an unlimited number of times while this visa is still valid.

Q. How much will my visa application cost?

  • There is a cost estimator feature on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website that you can use to calculate the approximate charge you will have to pay.

Q. How can I find a reputable migration agent to help me with my application?

  • You can find a registered migration agent at the website for the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.


If your country has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) in place with the Australian Government, you’ll be able to access subsidised health care and medicines during your time in Australia.Australia has agreements in place with the following countries:

  • New Zealand
  • The United Kingdom
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Sweden
  • The Netherlands
  • Finland
  • Italy
  • Belgium
  • Malta
  • Slovenia
  • Norway

However, make sure to check whether any special conditions apply to the cover you receive under your RHCA. For example, visitors from Italy and Malta are only covered for up to six months.

Medicare for visa holders

Visitors from countries with an RHCA with Australia are eligible for subsidised health care under Medicare, Australia’s public health system. Visa holders from all other approved countries will need to pay for treatment and medicine out of their own pocket.

With this in mind, it’s recommended that you invest in private health insurance for the duration of your time in Australia. You can take out a policy at home or through an insurance provider in Australia. Not only will it give you the peace of mind that you’ll be able to cover any unexpected medical costs, it will also increase the chances of your visa application being approved.

The 417 working holiday visa is the perfect tool for young people who want to spend up to a year travelling and working their way around Australia. Just make sure you’re aware of all the ins and outs of the visa before you apply or start making travel plans.
Image: Shutterstock

Richard Laycock

Richard is the senior insurance writer at and is on a mission to make insurance easier to understand.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question