Learn about and compare unsecured business loans.
When considering finance for your business, there are a few things that are often at the forefront of a business owner's mind: reducing costs, maximising benefits and minimising risk to the business. With an unsecured business loan, you can access a convenient credit option with minimal risk to your business as you do not have to attach an asset as a guarantee.
- Borrow up to $500,000
- Flexible lending criteria
- No hidden fees
100% confidential application
Moula Business Loan Offer
An unsecured business loan with online application and no upfront or early repayment fees.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Application fee: $0
- Minimum loan amount: $5,000
- Maximum loan amount: $500,000
Unsecured business loans comparison
Compare unsecured business loans available on Finder
Maximum Loan Amount: $250,000. An unsecured business loan that can be funded in one business day.
Maximum Loan Amount: $250,000. An unsecured business loan that can be funded in 48 hours.
Maximum Loan Amount: $100,000. A business loan with transparent costs and a redraw facility.
Maximum Loan Amount: $300,000. A unsecured business loan with no upfront fees.
How does an unsecured business loan work?
While it used to be the case that businesses needed security to be eligible for a business loan, this is no longer a hard-and-fast rule. Smaller, unsecured business loans can be accessed through non-traditional lenders as well as some banks. These loans require no guarantee and are based on your business's capacity to repay the loan, which is determined by examining monthly sales and cash flow.
How much can I borrow?
Lenders offer varying amounts for unsecured business loans, but they can range from $1,000 to $1,000,000. You may find that the amount you're eligible for depends on your monthly turnover. For example, if you make $50,000 revenue per month you may be eligible to borrow that amount.
Is my business eligible for a loan?
Eligibility criteria differ between lenders but you will usually need to meet the following:
- Business turnover. Lenders may have a minimum turnover requirement.
- Time in operation. You may be required to show that you've been operating for a certain amount of time.
- Director's credit history. Your business credit files and the personal credit files of directors may be checked.
- Business premises. You may be required to have been leasing the same location for a certain period of time.
- Business structure. The requirement is usually that your business is registered in Australia, but lenders may only lend to sole traders, partnerships or other such business structures.
Why don't I need security?
The small business loans market has changed with the rise of fintech lenders. These lenders are filling a gap in the market left by banks as fewer business owners were able to offer security, and were, therefore, unable to access business funding. In response to this, banks have now started to offer their own unsecured business loan products, with some targeted at small or innovative businesses.
Can I get an unsecured business loan to start a business?
Many lenders have strict requirements regarding the amount of time a business needs to have been operating. However, people looking to start a new business can also access funding without the need to offer security. Find out more about startup loans in our guide.
How to compare unsecured business loans
Unsecured business loans come with a range of features that you can look at to compare your options. Make sure you check the following:
- Loan amount. Lenders have set minimum and maximum amounts that they will lend, so make sure the amount you need is on offer from the lender.
- Turnaround time. Many lenders can now get your approved funds to you within 24 hours, but other lenders may take longer. If you need your funds by a certain time, make sure the lender is able to accommodate this.
- Interest rate. Comparing interest rates is a good way to determine how competitive a loan is. However, remember that fees may also apply, so check this when you're comparing.
- Repayment period. How long is the loan term? The length of the term will affect how high your repayments are. You can use a business loan calculator to see what your repayments are likely to be and when you will be able to repay the loan.
- Fees. Up-front and ongoing fees such as application fees and monthly fees may apply to your business loan. You may also need to pay a loan documentation fee or direct debit fee. Comparing the level of fees you need to pay can help you determine its competitiveness.
Is there anything to keep in mind before I apply?
The two main things to consider are the cost of the loan and whether your business can afford it. Consider your current profits and cash flow and find out how long the loan term will be. By incorporating the repayments into your budget you can see whether you are able to afford it.
How to apply for an unsecured business loan
Start by comparing your unsecured business loan options on this page using the comparison table. Once you've compared the rates and fees, click "Go to Site" on your chosen loan. The application process differs between lenders, but you'll generally need the following to apply:
- Personal identification such as a driver's licence or passport
- Details of your business accounting software OR
- Your business's financial documents
- The business's ABN
- Information about the business's partners or directors
Compare unsecured business loans
Written by: Elizabeth Barry