Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Long and short term accommodation in Australia

There’s nothing more reassuring when moving countries than knowing that you have a home already waiting for you when you arrive. Nothing.


One of the first things that’ll be on your checklist after you’ve made the commitment to move to Australia is to physically pack up your life and move everything you need to… where? Suffice to say, if you’re going on holiday it’s possible to ‘wing it’ but if you’re moving for an indefinite period of time, winging it might not cut it. Especially when it comes to accommodation. This is when planning ahead can make things so much easier when you finally plant your excited feet on Australian soil.

The good news is that you have plenty of options to choose from when looking for a place to stay in Australia. At the top of most new residents’ lists (and a good way to introduce you to the city and give you time to decide where you’d like to permanently call home) is arrival or temporary accommodation. This includes hotels, hostels and other traveller options.

Other new arrivals prefer to look for short-term accommodation, such as a rental property or a share house. If you’re a student, you can look for somewhere to stay either on- or off-campus, while those in a more secure financial situation might prefer to look at signing a long-term lease or even buying a home.

Each accommodation option has its own benefits and will cater to a different type of new Australian – so if you’re wondering, “Which type of accommodation should I look for and how can I find it?” then read to find the right place for you.

Arrival accommodation

Arrival accommodation, as the name suggests, offers somewhere to stay when you first arrive in Australia. The aim is to find somewhere comfortable and convenient to call a ‘base’ until you find your feet. While staying in arrival accommodation you can look for work and somewhere more permanent to stay, or you could simply take the time to acclimatise to your new surrounds.

The exact type of arrival accommodation you select will largely be influenced by your taste and budget. For students, or for those with limited finances, a hostel might be the best option to begin with. Australia has an excellent range of hostels to choose from, especially in capital cities, with travellers able to choose from budget options or more premium digs.

Another option to consider is a hotel. Once again, there’s no shortage of options to choose from, though many hotels may be out of the reach for those with limited finances. If you’re looking for an alternative, motels and caravan parks usually offer cheaper rooms, while self-catered apartments and units are also available.

While it’s important to find somewhere you’ll be comfortable and that will meet your needs, remember that this is only temporary accommodation. You’ll soon be looking for somewhere more permanent to live.

How can I book arrival accommodation?

Booking arrival accommodation can be handled quickly and easily online. There are a large number of accommodation websites that let you to book hotels, hostels or apartments in Australia, including sites like Expedia,, Hotels Combined, Airbnb and many more.

These accommodation sites are designed to be as simple as possible. All you have to do is search for available accommodation options on the dates you’re planning to stay in a certain destination. You’ll then be presented with a range of options, which you can browse and compare in order to find one that best matches your needs. You can book and pay for everything online with your credit card, thus ensuring you have somewhere to go as soon as you land in Australia.

Alternatively, you can look at homestay accommodation options. Browse the sites to see what arrival accommodation is available for you.

Short term accommodation

For many people moving to Australia, short-term accommodation offers the best solution when they first arrive. This can be a good way to settle into the Australian lifestyle and get to know the country and its people, while giving you time to adapt before you make any long-term or permanent decisions about where to live.

The first option you might want to look at is renting a property. From units and apartments to small or large houses, you can find rental properties to suit all sizes and budgets. Rental costs are obviously influenced by a number of factors, including the size of the residence, its location, its proximity to public transport, how old it is, and much more.

It’s also worth pointing out that the rental market in Australia is quite competitive, particularly in capital cities. In popular inner-city suburbs in major centres, you can expect to battle it out with plenty of other property hunters and also to pay more than you would otherwise expect.

If renting on your own is not a viable option, share-house living might be the best approach. Once again, there are typically a stack of share-house accommodation options to choose from, particularly in inner-city areas or places with high student populations. Of course, you obviously need to be willing to put up with all the highs and lows of sharing a house with strangers, which is sometimes be easier said than done.

Renting is an attractive option for many because the process is much simpler than when buying a house. It also gives you a chance to settle in to the Australian way of life and learn more about which areas of the country you like before making a permanent decision on your living arrangements.

If you’re renting a property on your own, your best bet is to lease a property through a qualified real estate agent. You can find rental listings on sites like and Rents vary depending on where you’re looking and the size of the home. Prices in Sydney are much higher than in a less-major city like Adelaide, and the closer you are to the city centre the more you can expect to pay.

While prices vary greatly, as a general guide you can expect to pay somewhere between AUD$200 and AUD$500 per week for a two-bedroom apartment, and anywhere from AUD$250 to AUD$750 per week for a three-bedroom house. Check online listings for a more accurate guide to prices in specific areas.

If you’re planning on renting, it’s a good idea to bring previous rental references and copies of your passport to rental inspections. Once you find a property you like you can sign a lease agreement, the terms of which usually last for six or 12 months. This legal document sets out all the terms of your rental agreement and ensures you’ll be treated fairly. Keep in mind though that it also means you may be liable to serve out the term of your lease. Breaking a lease can result in expensive fees. If you need help paying your rent, the Department of Human Services can offer rent assistance to people in certain circumstances.

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority in Australia stipulates that you must pay a security deposit (rental bond) when renting a property. This usually amounts to one month worth of rent, and will be returned at the end of the tenancy, unless it has been used to repair damage you’ve caused while renting the property.

If you’re looking to share a flat or house, this can be a more affordable option. You can find flats or share homes in popular student areas or busy inner-city suburbs on notice boards or websites. Many rental arrangements require you to stay for a minimum period (perhaps three months) and to pay a small security deposit. However, in many cases you won’t be required to put your name on a lease.

Prices for share-house living vary depending on where you want to live and whether utilities are included in the cost. Generally, you can expect to pay upwards of $100 per week. Shop around for an arrangement that best suits your living and financial needs.

Meeting your rent payment deadlines can be difficult for many people. This problem can be compounded when you first move to a foreign country and are getting settled into your new home. Luckily, there are some options available to help out financially struggling persons. Australia has an agency called the Department of Human Services that provides rent assistance. Also, all states and territories have government agencies that assist people with low incomes in the process of paying their rent. There are many options at the local and national level to receive help.

Public and emergency housing

Public housing is a good option for people who want to find a place to rent, but cannot afford its private market cost. The various housing authorities of Australia include the:

Did you know?

While some houses do come furnished, it’s more common in Australia that rental properties only come with general amenities. Once you’ve leased a property, you will have to start thinking about pots, pans, couches, and beds. For anyone on a tight budget, who’s unafraid to purchase secondhand goods, a good place to start is Those who’d prefer to purchase new items can always find a bargain through's deals page

Student accommodation

Those holding a student visa or are here for educational purposes have a number of options available to them. We think it pretty much goes without saying that student accommodation needs to be both affordable and accessible to your nominated educational institution.

With this in mind, your first option is pretty obviously on-campus accommodation. The vast majority of Australian universities offer on-campus accommodation options designed for students from overseas or rural-based areas. These options suit a variety of budgets and tastes (shared houses, catered accommodation in dorm rooms), with the added benefit of being located extremely close to, or even on, your place of study.

Another positive about on-campus accommodation is the opportunity it provides to develop relationships with other students and build a sense of community. With an emphasis on social activities as well as on education, living on-campus can be a great way to broaden your horizons.

If on-campus accommodation isn’t your cup of tea, off-campus living is also a valid option. You can reside in a homestay, which involves being placed with families in nearby homes, or choose to live in a privately owned student residence. Many unis run accommodation databases to help you find off-campus accommodation.

Finally, students can choose to rent a property independently rather than taking up student accommodation. For details on how to secure a rental property, read the above section on renting.

The simplest way to begin organising student accommodation is to go through your university. Most unis have housing officers that specialise in looking after both the on- and off-campus accommodation needs of its students. You’ll be able to research and compare accommodation options, as well as find out more about the benefits of on-campus living. Applications can typically be completed online.

For those interested in off-campus accommodation, there are also independent agencies that specialise in organising homestay arrangements. If you want to rent independently, begin your property search on a website like or

Long-term accommodation

Once you’ve been in Australia for a while and have decided where you would like to live, it’s time to start looking for a long-term accommodation solution. If you’re ready to settle down in a particular area, this is typically the most cost-effective option you can take.

For some, signing a long-term lease is optimal. This has the advantages of ensuring that you won’t be kicked out of your home while your lease is in force, and that you won’t have to struggle with the larger financial commitment of buying a home.

But if you’re ready to realise your dream of owning a home, you can start looking to buy a property. The Australian real estate market is quite competitive in some areas, particularly in the major capital cities, so you should be prepared for a lengthy house-hunting expedition. It’ll be worth it, however, once you’ve found that perfect apartment or house and can enjoy the freedom that comes with owning a home.

How to buy a house in Australia as a temporary resident

If you’re a temporary resident, you’ll need to jump through a number of hoops to buy property in Australia. To begin with, you must be granted permission from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) to purchase a property. To do this, you’ll need to apply to the board for approval, which can take up to 40 days.

If you’re a permanent resident however, you’ll find it much easier to buy property in Australia, and won’t require permission from the FIRB to purchase a home.

While you can exchange contracts before you’ve received FIRB approval, the contract is, of course, conditional on that approval being granted. Unfortunately, as auction bids can only be made without conditional clauses, this will prevent you from purchasing a property at auction.

Once contracts have been exchanged and a cooling-off period served, you’ll need to pay a deposit on your home. You’ll probably need to sort out a home loan as well, so it’s important that you’ve got records of your credit history and financial situation with you. Finding a mortgage with an Australian lender will generally be much easier than seeking financing from a lender back home. To increase your chances of being approved for a home loan, you’ll need to be earning a sufficient regular income to prove that you can manage your ongoing loan repayments. If you don’t have a steady stream of income, your chances of being approved for a loan are slim. Once again, permanent residents will find it much easier to obtain a loan than temporary residents.

In addition to your deposit and mortgage, you’ll need to remember that certain fees and taxes apply when buying a property in Australia. As a general rule of thumb, you can expect these costs to add up to roughly five per cent of the property’s value. You’ll need to contend with a Land Transfer Registration fee, legal fees, mortgage fees, local taxes and perhaps even insurance. Other costs can also be incurred via things like strata inspections or termite and pest inspections.

One final point to remember is that you’ll need to have any necessary visas and work permits before you can buy a home in Australia. Residence, temporary residence, migrations and visitors visas are all available, so make sure you have the necessary paperwork before you proceed.

Moving house and relocation checklist

It goes without saying that you should bring everything you need and leave everything you don’t (or can buy in Australia) at home. We’ll leave it up to your own discretion what you will bring and what you’ll leave behind, but here are some things to keep in mind before you relocate to Australia:


  • Accommodation in your home country. If you’re currently renting or own property in your home country, you’ll need to sort out what to do with that accommodation. You might have to end your lease, sell your home, or rent your home out to someone while you’re away. Once you know what date you’ll be leaving on, you can start organising what will happen to your current accommodation.
  • Long-term storage. If there are certain items you’re not bringing with you, consider putting them in long-term storage back home. Storage lockers and cages can be quite affordable to lease for long periods, so shop around for an option that’s affordable and secure.
  • Shipping your personal effects. A large number of companies specialise in shipping your personal belongings overseas, including everything from a few bags to a whole shipping container of effects. Compare the services and prices of different companies before choosing one. Two companies that specialise in international relocation are World Baggage and Seven Seas Worldwide. If you’ve enlisted the help of a migration agent to help you relocate, they will also be able to provide advice on the best way to ship your personal effects. The best part? If you’ve organised your accommodation in Australia early, you can have your effects shipped direct to that address in time for your arrival.
  • Customs taxes. If you want to ship used personal effects and household goods to Australia, you won’t have to pay custom duties or tax provided the items have been owned and used for at least 12-months. Items that have been owned and used for less than 12-months will be subject to taxes.
  • Restricted or prohibited items. Any restricted or contraband items need to be declared to customs when you enter the country, at which point they may be confiscated. These items include drugs, weapons, and items that could harbour diseases that could harm our natural environment like wood and food. Australia has a strict customs policy, so before you pack and leave familiarise yourself with any restricted or prohibited items and leave them at home to avoid any hassle at the airport.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

6 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    kFebruary 9, 2018

    Kindly suggest the best place to rent a house for 2 adults and 2 daughters in Brisbane. Preferably the area where most indians are put up. Is education free for expats working on 457 visa?

    Thank You

      MayMarch 1, 2018Finder

      Hi K,

      Thanks for your inquiry.

      We have a guide which can give you an idea of where to look for places to live in Australia.

      As for your second question, education at a state/government school is free for expats living in Australia but you would need to provide documentation. You can ask for details about the requirements from the school you wanted to attend.


    Default Gravatar
    PinkyMarch 23, 2017

    Hi, I have permanent residency visa and will be moving in December with my family . I was looking for one of the regional nsw places but getting very confused about the crime rate, basic availability for the daily use etc. Is it possible to know which one is more suitable for a new expat.

      HaroldMarch 24, 2017Finder

      Hi Pinky,

      Thank you for your question. I understand your concern.

      Regarding your question, I may not be able to tell you specifically where you should stay, but we have a guide, which could help. In this guide, you will learn the best places to live in Australia. You should see a list of cities on that page, what each city offers, and other features that are nice to know.

      I hope this information has helped.


    Default Gravatar
    umahJune 17, 2016

    Good Day Sir/Madam,

    I’m currently in malaysia and holding Bachelor of Education majoring in commerce and minoring in economics. Working experience 9years in Banking sector. I plan to pursue my studies in MBA and work part time in Brisbane. Kindly advise me accordingly.

    Thank You


      StephanieJune 20, 2016Finder

      Hi Umah,

      Thanks for your question. You can find details on studying and working in Australia in our Moving to Australia hub.

      If there are any specific questions you have about your educational options, please contact your educational institute of choice for more details.

      Hope that helps!


Go to site