How to send money to Saudi Arabia
Shop around for the best money transfer service for sending money to Saudi Arabia.
Digital money transfer specialists will almost always be cheaper than your bank for converting Australian dollars into Saudi Arabian riyals. Skip your local bank, if possible, and rely on specialists to better fit your budget, desired turnaround time and other money transfer needs.
- Preferential rate for Finder customers
- Will price match any eligible quote from another provider
- Free local currency accounts for business users
Send money to Saudi Arabia with WorldFirst
WorldFirst has handled $150 million+ in transfers for 250,000+ customers since 2004. You'll get transparent pricing, with popular currencies having an exchange rate margin of 0.5% or less.
- Minimum transfer amount: $2,000
- Online transfer fee: $0
Compare Money Transfer Services
Speak to a FX Expert
What's in this guide?
- Compare Money Transfer Services
- Speak to a FX Expert
- How to send money to Saudi Arabia online
- What's the best way to send money to Saudi Arabia?
- How to get the most out of your money transfer to Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabian exchange rates explained
- Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Saudi Arabia
- Bottom line
How to send money to Saudi Arabia online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer service in as little as four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. You'll need the recipient's contact information and to pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank you'll need their Saudi Arabian bank account information.
- Confirm transfer details. Make sure the correct payment method is selected, the fees are what you expected and the destination is correct.
- Save your receipt. To track your money transfer to Saudi Arabia you'll need your confirmation number, which can be found on your receipt. Some money transfer providers will even notify you by text or email when the transfer is complete.
What's the best way to send money to Saudi Arabia?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Saudi Arabia. PayPal, banks and other options are available but come with high fees, weak rates and long turnaround times.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like OFX and TorFX specialise in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Saudi Arabia — often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees. If a cash pickup is necessary, look to digital services like WorldRemit or Remitly when possible.
Saudi Arabian riyals aren't a popular currency, which means some banks may not offer them. If your bank supports riyals, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Saudi Arabia
Let's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Saudi Arabia. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates on two different money transfer services.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 2.6298 SAR||1 AUD = 2.5501 SAR|
|Transfer speed||1-3 days||1-3 days|
|Amount received||SAR 2,629.80||SAR 2,550.10|
By comparing money transfer companies, your recipient ends up with SAR 79.70 more on an equally fast and safe money transfer.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Saudi Arabia
Weigh costs and fees against convenience, and learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Saudi Arabia to meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The AUD-SAR exchange rate varies, so check current rates to find out how good a transfer service's offer is.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money abroad will almost always have fees, but sometimes they are hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger AUD-SAR exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. Different companies have different limits, so the best deal for sending large amounts of Saudi Arabian riyals may differ from the best deal for sending small amounts.
- Turnaround time. Transferring from a local bank in the Australia to Saudi Arabia could be difficult and may take some time. If you need the funds there quicker you'll want to seek out a money transfer specialist that offers instant transfers.
- Minimum and maximum sending limits. Watch out for companies limiting transfers to Saudi Arabia, as fees may add up when sending multiple smaller transfers.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Saudi Arabian bank account or to be picked up in cash at an agent location, finding a company that matches your preferred transfer method is crucial.
Emergency cash transfer
When you need to get money to Saudi Arabia in an emergency, there are options to have the money ready for pickup in minutes. This involves paying with a credit or debit card and transferring to a cash pick-up location. While it is fast, there'll be more fees involved.
How to send money to Saudi Arabia without a bank account
Cash transfer services can also help you out if either you or your recipient is unbanked. If you don't have a bank account, look for transfer services that have agent locations so you can go in and pay in cash. These cash transfer services will also have agent locations in other countries where your recipient can pick up the cash, without needing a bank account.
Saudi Arabian exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country's currency is worth in another country's currency. When a country's currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Track how the Saudi Arabian riyal trades against the Australian dollar in our historical rate chart.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Saudi Arabia
To send money to Saudi Arabia from the Australia, you'll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Saudi Arabia may be different by company.
Documents to send money from Australia
To send money:
- Identification. Most services require a driver's license, passport or other government-issued ID.
- Payment method. Credit or debit card, cash, bank account or personal check may be accepted, depending on the service you use.
- Recipient information. Including their phone number, Saudi Arabian bank account and routing number and their name as it appears on their identification.
Documents to receive money in Saudi Arabia
To pick up money in person:
- Transfer number. The sender will give this to you, it may be called a PIN number, an MTCN, a reference number, a tracking number or something else.
- Government-issued ID. A Saudi Arabian identity card or Saudi Arabian Passport will typically be accepted.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10%.
- Sender's information. Bring your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending your hard earned money to Saudi Arabia, whether to support your family, invest in a new business or something else entirely shouldn't cost a fortune. Now that you know how to send money to Saudi Arabia, be sure to use our country specific guides on how to send money around the world the next time you need to make a transfer.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert