Find out how to send money to Niger and what to consider when sending an international transfer.
Niger has seen a rapid growth in mobile money availability in recent years, which has come with a corresponding increase in financial services access around much of the country.
This makes it easier to send money to Niger and means you have more options to compare to find a better deal when you do.
How much does it cost to send money to Niger? Compare your options
The table below shows how much it costs to send money to Niger with different options. Just enter your transfer amount into the table below to learn more about the different costs involved.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
Learn more about
Step-by-step: How to send money to Niger
To easily send money to Niger:
- Compare your transfer services here and find the one that's best for you.
- Go to its website and create an account.
- Create a new transfer order by entering your recipient's details and the transfer information in the space provided.
- Confirm that all the details are complete and correct, then pay.
What's the best way to send money to Niger?
There are several different ways of sending money to Niger. The main ones include:
You may be able to go to your bank and see if it offers money transfers to Niger. If so, this could be a convenient option but it might also be more expensive and a bit slower than others.
Cash transfer services are a popular choice for sending money to Africa and you will be able to find a range of services for transfers to Niger. However, they aren't always the cheapest option.
Money transfer services
Specialist money transfer services will offer a range of options such as bank deposit or cash pick-up. They will often offer more variety as well as more competitive rates and lower fees than other options.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Niger
The table below shows how much it costs to send $1,000 to Niger with two different services and how long it will take, so you can see an example of the differences between a cash transfer service and a specialist money transfer service.
|Cash transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 395.9368 XOF||1 AUD = 402.2024 XOF|
|Transfer speed||Within minutes||1 business day|
|Overall||XOF10,135 less||XOF10,135 more|
The cash transfer service can get your money there sooner, but it will cost more due to higher fees and less competitive rates. On the other hand, the money transfer service is a bit slower but also cheaper.
The price difference between these two options comes out to XOF10,135 (about $25) on a $1,000 transfer.
How long will it take to send money to Niger?
How long it takes to send money to Niger depends primarily on how your recipient is receiving the money and how you are making your payment.
Paying with cash or card is almost instant, and opting for mobile money or pick-up as cash is also near-instant, so the whole transfer can be done in just a few minutes.
But bank transfer steps aren't so fast. As such, paying with a bank transfer or electing to have the recipient get their money with a bank deposit will often add a few business days to the process.
Emergency cash transfer
If the recipient needs funds right away, a cash transfer might be the most suitable choice.
You can pay with cash at a local transfer service such as Western Union or MoneyGram, and your recipient can make the pick-up at an agent of the same in Niger.
How to send money to Niger without a bank account
If you don't have a bank account, the best option might be for you to find a money transfer agent and pay with cash in-person. Your recipient will also be able to pick up cash at an agent without having a bank account. They can similarly receive mobile money payments.
What to watch out for
Residents of Niger collectively send more remittances than they receive, so there are more avenues for sending money out of the country than in. Much of this is done with mobile money services, but there is still a range of options for sending money into the country and it's generally hassle-free.
Documentation you'll need to send money to Niger
You will need to provide several pieces of identification to send money to Niger, as well as additional information. The necessities include:
- Identification. This will be a driver's licence or similar.
- Transfer amount. You need to say how much you're transferring and in which currencies.
- Recipient's details. The recipient's details are needed to ensure safe delivery of your funds. The exact details required will depend on how the transfer is delivered.
- Reason for sending the money. You may be required to give a reason for sending the money, especially for larger transfers, and may have to provide some documentation to support this reason.
What to compare to get the best deal
To find the best Niger money transfer, you'll want to consider a range of factors.
- How are the fees? While lower fees are better, keep an eye on the exchange rate. The margin added to it can often be a hidden fee you don't know about. This is often the case with "fee-free transfers".
- What are the exchange rates? The exchange rates can make a much bigger difference to the total cost than the fees do, especially if you're sending a lot.
- How long will the transfer take? If the recipient needs money in a hurry, you may want to pay special attention to finding a faster transfer.
- What are your payment options? Look for a service with payment options that suit you.
- How will the recipient get their money? If the recipient needs the money in a certain way – like if they don't have a bank account – you can look for an option to suit.
- Can you contact customer service? Make sure you know how to contact customer service in case something goes wrong.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rates are how much of one currency you get for another. This can make a significant difference to the total cost of a transfer and is worth considering in detail.
To find out how much you're paying on exchange rates, compare the quoted rate to the official exchange rates (pictured below).