Send money to Namibia
Get the best value for money when sending money to Namibia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you want a fast transfer, cash pick-up or the best value for money when sending either Namibian dollars (NAD) or US dollars, there are options available. This guide will help you compare your options for sending money to Namibia and find the right option to suit your needs.
Send money to Namibia with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Conditions apply.
WorldRemit sends money to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposits, cash pick-ups or mobile top-ups.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Compare money transfer services for Namibia
Put how much you want to send into the box and select the currency you want on the other end of the transfer.
The table below will automatically calculate how much each option costs, so you can see how much you can save.
How to send money to Namibia in a few simple steps
- Choose your service. Not all money transfer services send money to Namibia from Australia. Use our table to see which ones do and compare exchange rates, transfer fees and more.
- Create an account. This usually involves providing some form of identification, like your driver's licence or passport, and proof of address.
- Pick your payment method. You can typically choose to pay with your bank account, credit card or debit card.
- Choose your delivery method. The next step is to choose how you want the money delivered. It could be sent directly to a bank account, a money app or picked up as cash.
- Enter your transaction details. Enter how much you want to send, the recipient's details and any other information that's needed.
- Review your transfer. Double-check and make sure everything is in order. You'll also be confirming the exchange rate, in case it's changed since you started the transfer.
- Send your funds. The money will be deposited into your recipient's account in Namibia.
- Receive email/SMS confirmation. You'll receive email or SMS confirmation letting you know the funds are on their way.
How to compare Namibia money transfer services
- Exchange rates. What are the exchange rates for your chosen currencies? You can use US dollars, South African rand and Namibian dollars in Namibia, but the AUD rates for each will vary. You might be able to save money by choosing a different currency.
- Fees. How much does a service charge in flat fees? Depending on the transfer, it may be worth taking higher fees for more favourable rates.
- Transfer methods and pick-up locations. Make sure the service you're using works for the recipient. If you're sending money for a cash pick-up, make sure you check for a suitable pick-up location.
- Transfer times. Some options may be considerably faster than others. If you're in a hurry, it can be worth taking a little bit of time to find a fast transfer.
- Limits. There will be minimums as well as maximums. Make sure these work for you.
- Customer service. Who do you call if something goes wrong and will they pick up the phone? Make sure you can contact the money transfer service if needed and that it has a good reputation.
Exchange rates explained
An exchange rate is the value of one currency compared to another currency. These change constantly, so it's worth checking them again every time you make a transfer.
For example, as at February 2019, 1 Australian dollar is equal to 9.68 Namibian dollars.
AUD to NAD: Historical rate chart
What are the ways I can send money to Namibia?
- Bank transfer. Depending on your bank, you can go to your local branch or use online banking to send money directly from your account to a recipient in Namibia. However, even where it's available this option will usually be slower and more expensive than others.
- Cash pick-up services. You can send money to be picked up at any one of the several locations in Namibia. The available locations vary depending on which service you use.
- International cheque. This is a cheque made out in a foreign currency. You can find these at banks and post offices, then send or take it to Namibia.
Let's crunch the numbers: Two money transfers side by side
Below are the details of two money transfers, for a transfer of $1,000 to Namibia as USD, showing how much can be saved by comparing options.
We're using USD for this example because more providers send with USD than NAD. Even though it isn't universally accepted in Namibia, it is accepted in some places. The recipient may still need to convert it into local currency though.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.6796||1 AUD = 0.6699 USD|
|Transfer speed||Same day||Several business days|
|Total USD received||US$674.85||US$669.90|
|Receiver gets||US$4.95 more||US$4.95 less|
Even though you're paying $9 in fees with one of the money transfer services, it still comes out cheaper than the other thanks to its more favourable exchange rates and you can save about $5.
The lowest fee isn't always the cheapest transfer.
How long will it take to send money to Namibia?
It can take days or even over a week to send money to Namibia, but it depends on your transfer method, the service used, how you're paying for the transfer and how your recipient is collecting it.
As a rule of thumb, transfer stages involving bank transfers will typically be the slowest, while mobile money, cash payments and pick-ups are typically the fastest.
Emergency cash transfer
If you need to send cash to Namibia fast, there are a range of services able to facilitate an emergency cash transfer.
It can be available for pick-up in just minutes. However, the pick-up location also needs to suit the recipient.
How to send money to Namibia without a bank account
If you don't have a bank account but still need to send money to Namibia, you can look for a cash transfer service in your location. These are widely available all over the world.
This can also suit recipients who don't have a bank account, because they don't need one to receive a cash transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Namibia
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) warns that pickpocketing and purse snatching is common in Namibia, often in combination with distraction techniques.
- Don't go alone. If possible, take someone with you to be on the safe side.
- Go during the day. The risk of crime increases at night.
- Remain alert. Distractions are often a prelude to robbery and it's recommended you remain alert when handling cash, especially in large amounts.
Cash pick-up locations in Namibia
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
HDMI 2.1 explained: TV and gaming with PS5 and Xbox Series X
Here's everything you need to know about HDMI 2.1
Best cold press juicers in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews to find the best cold press juicers you can buy online and in-store in Australia.
Christmas comedown: 1 in 4 Aussies worried about housing costs
One in four (25%) Australians are worried about how they will pay the rent or mortgage after Christmas, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site. Find out how the Finder App can help save you money in 2021.
9 fun things to do on Boxing Day in Brisbane
Here’s what you can get up to this Boxing Day in Brisbane.
How to keep your NBN plan when moving house
Happy with your current NBN plan? Find out what NBN relocation services are available for keeping your NBN provider when you’re moving.
Best suitcases and luggage in Australia
Here are the 8 best suitcases and luggage you can buy in Australia right now, perfect for any of your travel needs.
Best external hard drives in Australia
These are the 9 best external hard drives you can buy right now in Australia.
Best carry-on luggage in Australia
These are the seven best carry-on bags you can buy right now in Australia.
How to start an accounting business
Find out what you need to know before starting an accounting business.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert