Send money to Macedonia
Understand what your options are when transferring funds to Macedonia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is located on the Balkans in Europe’s southeast. The landlocked country declared independence from Yugoslavia in 1991, and is famous for its lake-covered landscapes and towering mountain peaks.
If you need to send money to the Former Yugoslav Republic for any reason, it’s vital that you shop around and compare what different money transfer providers can offer. Comparing your options now can save you a lot of money in the long run.
Send money to Macedonia with XE
XE has fast transfers with low fees and a range of foreign currency tools.
- Low fees
- Next-day delivery to most countries
- 24/7 secure online transactions
Compare Money Transfer Services
What's in this guide?
- Compare Money Transfer Services
- Banks versus money transfer companies
- How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Macedonia?
- How do I send money to Macedonia from Australia?
- How do I receive money from Macedonia in Australia?
- Emergency cash transfers in Macedonia
- Cash pickup locations in Macedonia / Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Macedonia
- Tips for picking up cash in Macedonia
- What are the steps to send money to Macedonia?
Banks versus money transfer companies
Most people approach their bank when they need to send money overseas, which is completely understandable when you consider the convenience of sending funds from your own bank account. The problem, however, is that banks charge high transfer fees and offer some of the lowest exchange rates you will come across.
Sending money via your bank often ends up being much more expensive than it should, so it pays to shop around and compare your bank’s services with those offered by specialist money transfer providers. These companies concentrate solely on sending money overseas, so they offer far cheaper transactions than any of the major banks. Their fees are lower, their exchange rates higher and they offer safe and secure transfers.
Vesna Sends Money to Macedonia
Vesna left Macedonia in the late 1990s to move to Australia permanently, and although she’s settled here she still stays in regular contact with her parents in Skopje. She regularly sends them money to help them keep their heads above water during their retirement, and when their home is damaged following a storm, Vesna makes plans to send them an urgent transfer of $1,000 to pay for repairs. She compares her current bank to an international money transfer service to see which one can offer a fast and affordable transfer.
As you can see, Vesna’s parents can receive an extra €24.34 using the service.
|Australian big four bank||Money transfer company|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.6061 EUR||1 AUD = 0.6171 EUR|
|Transfer method||Online, phone or bank||Cash pickup transfer|
|Processing time||1 - 3 days||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in EUR)||€592.76||€617.10|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Macedonia?
- Exchange rates. Shop around to see what exchange rates are available among different providers. Be aware that better exchange rates will sometimes also come with higher fees attached.
- Transfer fees. You’ll usually need to pay some sort of fee each time you send a transfer, so compare the amounts charged by different providers. Some companies will also waive all fees on large transfers.
- Transfer methods. Consider the choice of transfer methods at your disposal: online, over the phone, in person at a branch, or using a smartphone or tablet app.
- Flexible options. Some companies let you get a better exchange rate by placing forward contracts and limit orders, while they may also offer you the flexibility of scheduling regular repayments in advance.
- Turnaround time. While some companies offer transfers in as little as a few minutes, these urgent transactions usually cost more to send.
- Transfer limits. Check to see whether the provider imposes minimum and maximum transfer limits on each transaction.
- Pickup options. While some companies will allow your beneficiary to collect the cash you transfer from their nearest branch, others will offer transfers in the form of bank account deposits.
- Customer service. It’s essential to investigate a company’s reputation for offering friendly and efficient customer service so that you can get a fast answer to your questions if you ever have a problem.
How do I send money to Macedonia from Australia?
- Specialist transfer companies. Shop around to see which specialist transfer companies will help you send money to Macedonia from Australia.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Western Union and MoneyGram both have several locations in Macedonia.
- Bank transfers. Speak to your bank about the cost involved in sending a transfer to Macedonia.
- International guaranteed cheques. Posting an international guaranteed cheque to Macedonia is an old-fashioned and time-consuming transfer method.
How do I receive money from Macedonia in Australia?
- Specialist transfer companies. Do your research to find out which companies allow transactions from Macedonia to Australia.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Start searching today for your nearest cash pickup transfer location.
- Bank transfers. Bank transfers are a secure but expensive way to send and receive money.
- International guaranteed cheques. Check how much your bank will charge you in fees when you cash an international cheque.
Emergency cash transfers in Macedonia
There are plenty of situations where you may potentially need to send a fast transfer to Macedonia, such as to help a relative settle an overdue debt. When you send an emergency transfer, however, make sure you’re aware that these transactions can be quite costly. High fees and lower-than-usual exchange rates apply, so double check all the details of your transaction before you decide to pay any money.
Cash pickup locations in Macedonia / Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Macedonia
As the two largest cash pickup transfer companies in the world, Western Union and MoneyGram both operate a number of cash pickup locations in Macedonia. Your recipient will need to take a transaction ID number and photo ID when they go to collect any funds, while phoning to confirm a location’s opening hours is also recommended. Some popular cash pickup locations are listed below
Orce Nikolov 54
Open 8am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday
Open 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday, open 8am to 2pm Saturday
Petar Petrovic Njegosh Br.12
Open 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday
Dobrivoje Radosavljevic 3
Open 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 1pm Saturday
Kapital Bank AD
Bul. Jane Sandanski N.
Loc. 26-1 6
Open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 2pm Saturday
Str Jhon Kenedi No. 5
Open 8am to 10pm seven days
Open 8am to 9pm seven days
Euro Pop 87
Str. Boris Kidric 24
Open 8am to 9pm seven days
Tips for picking up cash in Macedonia
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises Australian visitors to Macedonia to exercise normal safety precautions. When picking up cash, keep a few basic safety tips in mind:
- Don’t go alone - take a friend with you
- Stay aware of your surroundings and keep an eye out for anyone acting suspiciously
- Only visit a cash pickup location in an area where you feel safe
- Don’t display your cash in public
- Don’t carry the money around with you for any longer than necessary
What are the steps to send money to Macedonia?
Although transfer methods differ from one company to the next, you will generally need to:
- Register for a free account. This is usually done online and you will need to supply your name, contact details and proof of ID.
- Provide transaction details. The next step is to provide information about how much money you’re sending, in which currency, and where the money is going.
- Finalise your transaction. After reviewing the exchange rate and fee that will apply to your transfer, pay the necessary funds and use the receipt you are given to track the progress of your transfer.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
HBO Max Gossip Girl reboot: new trailer drops ahead of Australian broadcast
An updated version of Gossip Girl is coming our way – and it looks too good to miss.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off 4K TVs, $200 off Dyson vacuum cleaners, win $10,000 with Optus.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen are ready for battle as Termination Day approaches.
5 best early-bird EOFY sales: including 50% off 8K TVs
Here are the five best EOFY 2021 sales you can shop right now - including 50% off 75-inch 8K TVs at The Good Guys.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&C’s apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.
Ask an Expert