How to send money to Jamaica
Here's how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Jamaica.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Famous for its relaxed lifestyle, its beautiful beaches and its Olympic sprinters, the Caribbean island nation of Jamaica is one of the world's great tourist destinations. If you ever need to send money to Jamaica from Australia – maybe to help out a cash-strapped relative travelling through the Caribbean – there are plenty of ways to do so.
Send money to Jamaica with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Compare international money transfers to Jamaica
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Jamaica with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
- Compare international money transfers to Jamaica
- How to send money to Jamaica online
- What are the ways that I can send money to Jamaica
- How to get the most out of your money transfer to Jamaica
- Jamaica's exchange rates explained
- Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Jamaica
- What to watch out for
- Bottom line
What's the best way to send money to Jamaica?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Jamaica. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Sending money through PayPal or your bank is also an option, but you'll typically face higher fees and weaker exchange rates when going that route.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like XE specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's Jamaican bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Jamaica— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money to Jamaica, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
Jamaican dollars are not a popular currency, but your local bank may be able to exchange them. If your bank supports Jamaican dollars, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options when sending a wire transfer to Jamaica.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Jamaica
Let's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Jamaica. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of 10 November 2020.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 106.73 JMD||1 AUD = 100.42 JMD|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes|
|Amount received||JMD $106,734||JMD $100,425|
The digital transfer option offers the best value, while a cash transfer is faster.
How to send money to Jamaica online
Sign up and send money to Jamaica with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their Jamaican bank account details.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Jamaica. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
What are the ways that I can send money to Jamaica
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and Wise can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Australia to Jamaica.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Jamaica
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to learn how to compare money transfer providers that send money to Jamaica to best meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The AUD-JMD relationship fluctuates often, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Jamaican dollar rises against Australia dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger AUD-JMD exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the number of Jamaican dollars you're sending to Jamaica.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Jamaica.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Jamaican bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer
When urgency trumps cost to get your money to Jamaica quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Jamaica without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you're unbanked or marginally banked. If you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Jamaica's exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country's currency is worth in another country's currency, in this case how many Jamaican dollars your Australian dollars are worth when you send money to Jamaica. When a country's currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Jamaica's exchange rate is flexible compared to Australia dollar.
Track how the Jamaican dollar trades against the Australian dollar in our historical rate chart.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Jamaica
To send money to Jamaica from Australia, you'll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Jamaica may be different by company.
Documents to send money from Australia
To send money to Jamaica from Australia, you'll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver's license, passport or other government-issued ID.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient's name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number, Jamaican bank account and routing number.
Documents to receive money in Jamaica
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer's confirmation details — called a PIN, a MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Jamaican Passport, Jamaican ID or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
Sending money to Jamaican relatives or family members in Jamaica may be subject to taxes on the money transfer, but it depends on a lot of variables.
Sending your hard-earned money to Jamaica shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in Australia
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
HBO Max Gossip Girl reboot: new trailer drops ahead of Australian broadcast
An updated version of Gossip Girl is coming our way – and it looks too good to miss.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off 4K TVs, $200 off Dyson vacuum cleaners, win $10,000 with Optus.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen are ready for battle as Termination Day approaches.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.
Ask an Expert