How to send money to the Ivory Coast
Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to the Ivory Coast.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you're sending money to Côte d'Ivoire, you'll have several choices available.
Compare your options to find the one that's best for you and see if you can save money on your next international transfer to the Ivory Coast.
How much does it cost to send money to the Ivory Coast? Compare your options
The table below shows how much a transfer may cost with different services. Enter the details of your transfer in the table below and it will run the numbers to bring back the costs.
What's in this guide?
- How much does it cost to send money to the Ivory Coast? Compare your options
- Step-by-step: How to send money to the Ivory Coast
- What's the best way to send money to the Ivory Coast?
- How long will it take to send money to the Ivory Coast?
- What to watch out for
- Documentation you'll need to send money to the Ivory Coast
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pick-up locations in the Ivory Coast
Step-by-step: How to send money to the Ivory Coast
- Compare transfer services and choose the option that works best for you.
- Go to the service's website and create an account.
- Provide the details of your transfer, including the amount and who you want to send to.
- Double check to ensure all the information is correct, then confirm the transaction and make your payment.
What's the best way to send money to the Ivory Coast?
There are several different options for sending money to the Ivory Coast. The main ones include:
Money transfer services
These are dedicated money transfer services. They often have a range of transfer options and competitive exchange rates.
You'll find a range of cash transfer services to help you send money overseas. These services can let your recipient pick up funds in the Ivory Coast as cash. They're often among the fastest options available but can cost a bit more than some.
You can go to your bank and find out if they can help you transfer money to the Ivory Coast. But this option might be slower and more expensive than the others.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to the Ivory Coast
The table below shows how the costs and transfer speeds can vary between different options when transferring $1,000 to the Ivory Coast. Our example will be using a cash transfer service and a money transfer company.
In this case, the money transfer service is delivering funds to the recipient's mobile money wallet.
|Cash transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 401.07534 XOF||1 AUD = 395.9805 XOF|
|Transfer speed||Within minutes||Within a day|
|Overall||XOF8,982.20 more||XOF8,982.20 less|
In this case, using the transfer service will net the recipient almost XOF9,000 more (over $20) while being only slightly slower.
How long will it take to send money to the Ivory Coast?
How long it takes to send funds to the Ivory Coast depends largely on whether there are any bank transfers involved in the process, as each of these might add one or two days. Sending money to mobile or a cash pick-up provider will be the fastest option.
Emergency cash transfer
If you want to send money to the Ivory Coast as fast as possible, you might want to use a cash transfer service. By paying with cash at an agent in your location and having the recipient pick it up as cash, it can arrive almost immediately.
Services available in both your location and the Ivory Coast might include Western Union and MoneyGram.
How to send money to the Ivory Coast without a bank account
If you don't have a bank account, you can still pay with cash at transfer service agent locations.
Your recipient can similarly pick up cash without a bank account. Your recipient may also be able to receive funds through their mobile money account, or as credit on their mobile, without having a bank account.
What to watch out for
According to the GSM Association's 2018 mobile state of the industry report, the Ivory Coast is one of the mobile money hubs of the world. It's estimated that around a third of the country's residents have a mobile money account.
There is also a range of local initiatives to digitise payments, which has further increased uptake. According to the same report, more than 99% of students in the Ivory Coast now pay their school fees with mobile money payments, for example.
This infrastructure can help make it faster, easier and cheaper to send money to the Ivory Coast, which can make it worth shopping around for a better deal.
Documentation you'll need to send money to the Ivory Coast
You'll need to provide several pieces of information when sending money to the Ivory Coast. This includes:
- Identification. You will often need to provide some details of yourself and your contact information, as well as some identification such as a driver's licence.
- Transfer amount. This is how much you want to send in AUD or how much XOF you want your receiver to get.
- Recipient's details. You'll need the recipient's details, as well as the correct information for them to receive their funds, which will vary depending on the transfer method.
- Reason for sending the money. You will often need to provide a reason for sending the money.
What to compare to get the best deal
There are several different elements to consider when comparing transfer services. Some of the main ones include:
- Fees and exchange rates. Pay attention to both the fees and exchange rate the service is quoting you. This can vary quite a lot from provider to provider.
- Transfer speed. How long will it take? Does your recipient need it immediately, which will be more expensive, or are they okay to wait a few days?
- Payment and delivery options. You may have several payment options, including cash, card or bank transfer. Your recipient may also have different ways of collecting the funds including bank deposit, cash pick-up or mobile money.
- Customer service. Make sure you know how to get in touch with the transfer service's customer service team in case something goes wrong.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Foreign exchange rates are how much of one currency you get for another. In this case, it will be how many West African CFA francs (XOF) you get for your local money.
Different services will have different exchange rates and it can be worth looking for the one that offers the best rate. This will typically be whichever is closest to the mid-market rate.
Cash pick-up locations in the Ivory Coast
More guides on Finder
Food delivery on the Gold Coast
Looking for food delivery on the Gold Coast? Here’s a list of services that will save you time and money.
Revolut launches in Australia: How does it compare to rival neobanks and fintechs?
As Revolut announces it's open for business in Australia, we look at how it compares to the likes of Up bank, TransferWise and 86 400.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
How to watch Melbourne Demons vs Gold Coast Suns AFL live and free
Gold Coast can give their unlikely AFL finals hopes a big boost if they overcome under-fire Melbourne.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here's how we choose them.
How to make money blogging: Creating a profitable blog from scratch
I made enough money to renovate my family home by blogging. Here are my tips.
How coronavirus is changing the way we transfer money overseas
Retail outlets are shuttering but online transfer volumes rise.
Coronavirus: How to manage your credit card
Learn about coronavirus financial support options, complimentary insurance and other credit card details you may be wondering about.
How to watch West Coast Eagles vs Melbourne Demons AFL live and free
West Coast Eagles meet Melbourne Demons in their AFL season-opener.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert