How to send money to Iraq
Find a quick, affordable service to make a money transfer to Iraq.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Emergencies are not the only reason you may want to use money transfer services to send money to Iraq. You may be sending birthday and holiday presents or paying any ongoing bills for which you may still be responsible. Whatever the reason, with some research, you can find a service that's reliable and convenient, both to you and the recipient back in Iraq.
Compare transfer services that send to Iraq
Banks vs money transfer services
Exchange rates for different currencies fluctuate with the economy. Keep in mind that while you can compare official exchange rates to get an idea of movements in rates, banks and other money transfer companies will typically offer the service at a less competitive rate.
Abdel's Australian transfer
Abdel was temporarily transferred from the company he works for in Iraq to their offices in Australia six months ago. He would like to continue adding funds to his savings account back home and has decided that he will send payments to his account whenever possible. To find the best prices available, he compares two money transfer companies.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||AUD$1= IQD987.356||AUD$1 = IQD985.2|
|Transfer Time||Within minutes||Within minutes|
|Transfer fee||AUD$60 is charged to the sender for sending $1,000. There should be no charge to the recipient when picking up the money.||AUD$70 is charged to the sender for sending $1,000. There should be no charge to the recipient when picking up the money.|
|Amount received for AUD$1,000||Recipients will get IQD987,356.27.||Recipients will get IQD985,119.27.|
|Hidden charge||Approximately IQD41,544 is lost in the exchange.||Approximately IQD43,781 is lost in the exchange.|
With Abdel’s first option, not only will he save AUD$10 on his end, his family will receive IQD2,237 more depending on whether they are charged to convert funds to the dinar. The frequent changes in exchange rates would make it sensible for Abdel to check these rates every time he is preparing to make a transfer.
Keep ahead of the curve with daily currency exchange rate alerts
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Iraq
Due to political issues, options for sending money to Iraq from Australia are more limited than what they are for other countries. As the case study shows, even with limited competition, it is important that you look carefully at the details to get the most value when transferring money.
- Exchange rates. This is where you will want to focus your attention, as higher rates can be hidden by poor exchange rates. First, look at the average exchange rate for your currency pair and then compare what the different transfer companies are offering.
- Fees. As you can see in the case study, there can be a substantial fee associated with money transfers. This fee will change in relation to the amount of money you are sending, making it important to compare companies.
- Turnaround time. This is important if your recipient needs the money immediately. Also check online to see if a tracking service is offered so that you can check on the status of the transfer and know when it has been made available for pickup.
- Transfer methods. If you plan on sending money often, it may be in your best interest to look into online methods. Transfer companies have branches you can use, but some will also allow you to transfer the money directly from their online site.
- Transfer amount limits. Keep in mind that there is going to be a limit not only on the amount you may transfer at one time, but also on the amount you may transfer in a single day. These types of regulations are in place for your own protection.
How to send money to Iraq from Australia
Western Union will allow you to make transactions between Australia and Iraq. The Iraqi dinar is an exotic currency, making it difficult to find other services to conduct the transaction for you.
The following is a list of financial institutions that may permit you to conduct transfers from the Australian dollar to the Iraqi dinar:
- Citibank. As a worldwide bank, you can transfer money from your Australian Citibank account to any account in Iraq using the Citibank Plus Transaction account.
- Western Union. Western Union is the most direct service for transferring money from Australia to Iraq. They allow you to conduct transactions online, or you can find a location by using their store locator.
Emergency cash transfers in Iraq
If you are travelling in Iraq and find yourself in need of an immediate cash transfer from Australia, you do have a couple of options available to you:
- Money transfer companies. Travellers are able to pick up money at Western Union locations in other countries. You will need to have a valid passport or other picture ID in order to get your money.
- Credit card. If the credit card you used to pay for your travels has complimentary travel insurance, it could provide you with essential cash if the card is lost or stolen.
- Travel insurance. You should always buy travel insurance when booking a trip overseas. Depending on the type of insurance coverage, you may be eligible for cash in the event that you are the victim of a crime while on vacation. Call your insurance provider for details if you are robbed or lose your wallet while travelling in Iraq.
Western Union cash pickup locations in Iraq
Listed here are a few of the cash pickup locations you will find when travelling in Iraq. Before you go to the location, make sure that you have the money transfer reference number, the sender's name and location, the amount sent and your passport.
Baghdad Diplomatic Support Center Airport Area
Open Sunday through Thursday from 8am to 3pm.
United Arab Money Transfer Co
Almansoor District 609 St 18
Open Sunday through Thursday from 8.30am to 2:30pm.
Basra Algeria Street
Opposite Al Basra Airline
Al Basrah, Al Basrah
Open Monday 8am to 11pm; Sunday and Friday 12pm to 11am
Iraqna Money Transfer
Basrah 14 July St
Al Basrah, Al Basrah
Open Monday 8am to 9pm; Sunday and Friday closed.
Tips for picking up cash in Iraq
According to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), travellers should avoid travelling to Iraq. If you absolutely must make the trip, proceed with extreme caution when frequenting a financial institution to retrieve cash. Go to a well-known location, such as the one inside of the Baghdad airport, and bring along a friend who is familiar with the area and local customs if possible.Back to top
How to send money to Iraq
Sending money to your family in Iraq will depend on the method you use. If you are able to use an international bank to transfer funds, you will need to open an account in an Australian bank that you can link to your Iraqi account. To do this, you will typically need the following:
- Account information. The account details for your bank account back home. This will include the bank routing number and your account number.
- Address. Your Australian address as well as your last address in Iraq.
- Passport. A copy of your passport and your valid visa.
- Employment details. Some banks may require that you supply details about your current employment in Australia.
If the Western Union money transfer is a better option, be prepared to give your full name and contact information as well as the full name of the recipient and their contact information. It is imperative that the name you give matches the name on your recipient's photo ID exactly to avoid any delays in the transaction.
You will be given a tracking number for the transaction, which you will have to pass along to your recipient in order for them to be able to pick up the money. In some cases, you can also use a code question to help confirm the recipient's identity.
Unlike other countries, you are limited in options when sending money to Iraq. Explore those that you do have and compare the services they offer with the currency exchange rates and fees they charge to save you the maximum amount possible when transferring money from Australia to Iraq.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Interview: RAQ founder talks Abbie Chatfield swim collection
RAQ Apparel founder Sophia Argyropoulos chats the inspo for Abbie Chatfield swimwear collab and the secret to finding the perfect bikini.
7 ways to elevate your home movie experience [SPONSORED] Turn your low-key movie nights into a main attraction that can keep everyone entertained.
American Express Qantas Corporate Gold Card
With a 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards offer and complimentary Qantas Business Rewards membership, is this the right card for your business?
How to watch Liverpool vs Arsenal Carabao Cup live and free in Australia
Liverpool and Arsenal battle for a place in the League Cup final.
Rapid antigen tests: When will RAT stock be available? [UPDATED]
Rapid antigen tests are proving extremely hard to find, but there are options if you can be patient trying to find a RAT.
New on Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus, Stan, Foxtel, BINGE and more in January 2022
You can easily elevate your binge-watching game in the New Year.
Where to watch DC series Peacemaker online in Australia
He believes in peace at any cost – no matter how many people he has to kill to get it.
How to watch Melbourne Renegades vs Melbourne Stars BBL live and match preview
Both Melbourne teams are fighting for their seasons as we embark on derby number 2
10 beauty trends that’ll pop off in 2022
From clean beauty to bedazzled everything, these are the makeup looks will take over 2022 and the products you need to pull them off.
Compare rapid antigen test brands: How do they stack up?
Not all tests are created equal here are the different brands compared.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
New customers get their first transaction for free with code FIRSTFREE. T&Cs apply.
Send money in minutes at competitive exchange rates with this Australian money transfer service.
Ask an Expert