How to send money to Hong Kong
Safe, secure and cost-effective transfer options when you need to send money to Hong Kong.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Australia and Hong Kong share strong commercial and personal links. Around 90,000 Australians and more than 550 Australian companies are based in Hong Kong, while another 1,000 Australian companies have offices in the region. That means there are plenty of situations where you might need to send money to Hong Kong from Australia.
Before you do, make sure you compare a range of money transfer providers to find the best possible deal.
Send money to Hong Kong with Wise
Wise uses the mid-market rate and transparent fees to help you send money in 50+ currencies.
- Government regulated
- Supports 50+ currencies
- Uses the mid-market rate
Compare options for sending money to Hong Kong
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Hong Kong with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
What's the best way to send money to Hong Kong?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Hong Kong. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Sending money through PayPal or your bank is also an option, but you'll typically face higher fees and weaker exchange rates when going that route.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like WorldRemit specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's Hong Kong bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Hong Kong — often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
The Hong Kong dollar isn't a popular currency, so your local bank may not be able to exchange it. If your bank does support the Hong Kong dollar, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options when sending a wire transfer to Hong Kong.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Hong Kong
Let's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Hong Kong. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of 13 November 2020.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$6||$60||$9 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 5.60 HKD||1 AUD = 5.85 HKD||1 AUD = 5.44 HKD|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes||2-5 days|
|Amount received||HKD 5,574||HKD 5,853||HKD 5,396|
The bank option ends up being both the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Hong Kong. If you go with the cash transfer service, your recipient ends up with HKD 457 more than the bank offers. If speed is crucial, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Hong Kong in as little as 15 minutes, just make sure there is a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Hong Kong online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account information from Hong Kong.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Hong Kong. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
What are the ways that I can send money to Hong Kong
- Bank transfers. Many major Australian banks will allow you to send money to Hong Kong.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Wise and CurrencyTransfer can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union, WorldRemit and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Australia to Hong Kong.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas if necessary.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Hong Kong
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Hong Kong to best meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The AUD-HKD relationship fluctuates occasionally, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Hong Kong dollar rises against the Australian dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger AUD-HKD exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of pounds you're sending to Hong Kong.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Hong Kong.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Hong Kong bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer to Hong Kong
When urgency trumps cost to get your money to Hong Kong quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Hong Kong without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Hong Kong's exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country's currency is worth in another country's currency. When a country's currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Hong Kong's exchange rate is flexible compared to the Australian dollar, and AUD-HKD relationship fluctuates often. Factors that may influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Track how the Hong Kong dollar trades against the Australian dollar in our historical rate chart.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Hong Kong
To send money to Hong Kong from Australia, you'll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Hong Kong may differ by company.
Documents to send money from Australia
To send money from Australia to Hong Kong, you'll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver's license, passport or other government-issued ID.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient's name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number and Hong Kong bank account information.
Documents to receive money in Hong Kong
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer's confirmation details — called a PIN, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport, Hong Kong ID or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
Sending money to Hong Kong may be subject to taxes on the money transfer, but it depends on a lot of variables.
Sending your hard-earned money to Hong Kong shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
HBO Max Gossip Girl reboot: new trailer drops ahead of Australian broadcast
An updated version of Gossip Girl is coming our way – and it looks too good to miss.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off 4K TVs, $200 off Dyson vacuum cleaners, win $10,000 with Optus.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen are ready for battle as Termination Day approaches.
5 best early-bird EOFY sales: including 50% off 8K TVs
Here are the five best EOFY 2021 sales you can shop right now - including 50% off 75-inch 8K TVs at The Good Guys.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Send provides fee-free transfers via its 24/7 multi-currency payments platform with real-time quotes.
Ask an Expert