Australia and Hong Kong share strong commercial and personal links. Around 90,000 Australians and more than 550 Australian companies are based in Hong Kong, while another 1,000 Australian companies have offices in the region. That means there are plenty of situations where you might need to send money to Hong Kong from Australia.
Before you do, make sure you compare a range of money transfer providers to find the best possible deal.
Compare options for sending money to Hong Kong
Speak to a FX Expert
Banks versus money transfer companies/services
As the Hong Kong Dollar is a widely used currency, many major Australian banks allow you to transfer Hong Kong Dollars overseas. However, banks generally offer poor exchange rates and relatively high fees for international money transfers, which can leave you significantly out of pocket. Instead of sending funds through your bank, why not consider the services of a money transfer company?
These providers, such as OFX, offer fast, easy and affordable transfers across international borders. With lower fees and better exchange rates than the banks, they can ensure that you get a better deal from a financial point of view. As you can see, in addition to a significant saving on the transfer fee, Leon can send an extra 330 HKD to his brother by using the online money transfer provider.
Leon sends money to Hong Kong Leon’s younger brother Kevin is travelling through Hong Kong when, much to his dismay, he runs out of money. Rather than ask his parents for another loan, Kevin asks his brother to send him $1,000 to help him book a flight home. Leon thinks about sending the money through his bank, but when he sees that it is offering a less-than-impressive exchange rate, he decides to see whether he’d be better off using an online money transfer company. The results of his comparison are shown below:
Bank Money transfer company Exchange rate 1 AUD = 5.39 HKD 1 AUD = 5.72 HKD Transfer fee $20 $5 Transfer method Bank account deposit Bank account deposit Processing time 2 business days 2 business days Amount received (in Hong Kong Dollars) 5,390 HKD 5,720 HKD
As you can see, in addition to a significant saving on the transfer fee, Leon can send an extra 330 HKD to his brother by using the online money transfer provider.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Hong Kong
- Exchange rates. Check to see which company offers the best exchange rates, but remember that companies with higher exchange rates may also charge higher transfer fees.
- Fees. Make sure you’re aware of all the fees that you will incur with different providers when you send money to Hong Kong.
- Transfer methods. While some companies are online only, others will also allow you to place transfers from your smartphone, over the telephone or by visiting a branch.
- Transfer options. Check to see if you can place limit orders, lock in a good exchange rate with a forward contract or enjoy the convenience of setting up a regular payment.
- Turnaround time. Will your funds be available to your recipient in minutes, or will they need to wait for two or more days for the transaction to be processed?
- Minimum amount. Check to see whether each company imposes a minimum transfer limit as this can be restricting if you only need to transfer small sums of cash.
- Pickup methods. While some companies only offer bank account transfers, others offer cash pickup from an agent location, mobile wallet transfers and even home delivery.
- Customer service. If anything goes wrong with a transaction, will phone, email and live chat support be provided? During which hours?
How to send money to Hong Kong from Australia
- Bank transfers. Many Australian banks will allow you to send Hong Kong Dollars from your Australian account to your recipient’s Hong Kong bank account.
- Online money transfer providers. A range of specialist online providers offer a cheaper transfer method than the big banks.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Consider sending funds through Western Union or MoneyGram so that your recipient can pick up cash from an agent location.
- Cheques. International guaranteed cheques are a secure way to send money overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in Hong Kong
If you need to transfer money to Hong Kong urgently, you may be charged a higher fee and have to settle for a lower exchange rate. Sometimes this sacrifice is necessary when you need to send an emergency cash transfer, but just make sure to carefully review all the details of a transaction before you commit to it.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in Hong Kong/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Hong Kong
Western Union and MoneyGram both allow you to send money from Australia that can be picked up from an agent location in Hong Kong within minutes. Just make sure to provide your recipient with the transaction reference number and also make sure they take photo ID when they go to pick up the cash. If you’re sending a large amount of money, tell them to phone ahead to check whether the agent will have sufficient funds available to complete the transaction.
Shop B1 & B2, Ground Floor 67 Carpenter Road Kowloon City, Kowloon +852-27170014 Open 8:30am to 6:30pm seven days
Concorde Road Post Office
G/f Trade And Industry Tower 3 Concorde Road, Kai Tak Kowloon, Hong Kong +852-23213611 Open 9:30am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 8pm Saturday
Mega Wealth Asia Pacific Limited No C, G/f, Fu Wing Court, 10-12 Cross Street, Wan Chai, Hk +852-60105740 Open 8am to 10pm seven days
Wan Chai Post Office
2/f , Wu Chung House 197-213 Queen's Road East Wanchai, Hong Kong +852-25745478 Open 9:30am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 8pm Saturday
Easypass Corporation Limited Shop B G/F Cheerful Comm Building 116-118 Ma Tau Wai Rd Kowloon, 85223344757 Open 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm Saturday
BCA Finance Limited
Shop 50 Ground Floor 108 Shopping Arcade 19-23 Man Tai Street Yau Tsim Mong, 23562227 Open 9am to 5pm Friday to Wednesday
Peoples Money Exchange 1/F 18 Russell St Causeway Bay, 28930116 Open 10am to 11:30pm seven days
Brilliance Forex Exchange
3 G F Jia Yang Building 271 Lockhart Road Wan Chai, 0 85225988826 Open 9am to 9pm seven days
Tips for picking up cash in Hong Kong
Although the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade classifies Hong Kong as a safe country to visit, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take care when picking up cash in Hong Kong. The following tips can help ensure your safety and the security of your money:
- Take a friend along to deter thieves
- Keep your cash hidden and don’t promote your wealth
- Avoid any high-crime areas
- Keep an eye on your wallet/bag at all times
- Deposit the funds into your bank account as soon as possible
How to send money to Hong Kong
There are plenty of options to choose from when you need to send money to Hong Kong, and whichever option you choose you will usually need to sign up for an account before sending your transfer. The exact registration process differs between companies but you’ll generally need to provide:
- Your full name
- Your address and contact details
- Your date of birth
- Proof of identity
- In some cases you will need to provide bank account or credit card information
Before you choose an international money transfer provider, compare the fees and benefits of a range of money transfer companies. Doing a thorough comparison will ensure that you get value for money when you send funds to Hong Kong.Back to top
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
No-maximum limit transfers with competitive exchange rates for 100+ currencies. No transfer fee over AUD$10,000.
Ask an Expert