Curaçao, formerly known as Netherlands Antilles, is one of the world's newer nations.
But it's still easy to send money there and you could save money by comparing your options before you do.
How much does it cost to send money to Curaçao? Compare your options
Enter your transfer amount into the table below to see how much it may cost with different options.
Learn more about
Step by step: How to send money to Curaçao
- Compare money transfer services that can send your dollars to Netherlands Antillean guilders (ANG)
- Find the one you want and create an account on its website
- Enter the details of your transfer
- Confirm the transfer and recipient information, then pay
What's the best way to send money to Curaçao?
There are several ways of sending money to Curaçao.
You may be able to send a transfer by going to your bank. These will potentially be much slower and more expensive than other options, though.
This is a popular option for sending money to Curaçao as you can send to a range of pick-up locations. It can also be very quick, but won't always be the cheapest.
Money transfer services
These online services can give you a range of different options, including bank account deposits and mobile wallet transfers, and can be one of the best ways of comparing prices to find the best deal.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Curaçao
To put this into perspective, we've done an example of a $1,000 transfer with 2 different services so you can see how the fees and exchange rates vary.
|Cash transfer service 1||Cash transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 1.2347 ANG||1 AUD = 1.2534 ANG|
|Transfer speed||Within minutes||Within minutes|
|Overall||ANG81.5 less||ANG81.5 more|
Both are almost identical in delivery method and transfer speed, except one has higher fees and slightly worse rates.
The end result is that by just shopping around you could save ANG81.5 (over $60) on this transfer.
How long will it take to send money to Curaçao?
How long it takes to send money to Curaçao depends primarily on how you make the payment, which transfer service you use and how the recipient elects to receive their money.
Bank transfers can take a day or two, while cash and card payments can go through instantly, and cash pick-ups or mobile airtime top-ups can be made available immediately.
Emergency cash transfer
If you want to send money to Curaçao instantly, you can look for a place to pay with cash in your location and then have the recipient pick up the money as cash in Curaçao.
Services such as Western Union or MoneyGram can facilitate quick transfers in this way.
How to send money to Curaçao without a bank account
Even if you don't have a bank account, you can still send money to Curaçao by paying with cash. Your recipient can likewise pick up a cash transfer without having a bank account.
What to watch out for
Curaçao's national currency, the Netherlands Antillean guilder (ANG) is relatively tightly controlled for the sake of maintaining financial stability in the small country.
There may be restrictions around the import or export of the currency, conditions around holding ANG funds on someone else's behalf and other limitations.
Documentation you'll need to send money to Curaçao
You'll typically need to provide a few pieces of documentation to ensure your transfer goes smoothly. This will often include a driver's licence or another form of government-issued ID, and in some cases verification of a reason for sending the money.
You'll also need to provide some details, including:
- Your personal information. This will include your name and contact details.
- Transfer details. You'll have to specify the amount and other required transfer details.
- Recipient information. This includes the details so the money can find the recipient, such as their bank details, contact information and name.
What to compare to get the best deal
There are several things to look at if you want to find the deal that's best for you.
- Fees. Look at how much you're being charged in flat fees per transfer.
- Exchange rates. Consider how many ANG you're getting for your currency.
- Transfer speed. Are you in a hurry? How long will it take?
- Payment options. Look for payment options that suit you. For example, if you want to pay with card your choices may be limited.
- Delivery methods. What are the recipient's options for receiving funds?
- Customer service. Is the service's customer service only available during business hours? Is there a phone number or is it just an email?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Foreign exchange rates are how much of one currency you get for another. In this case, it will be how many ANG you get for your local currency. By finding the mid-market rates, which are the official exchange rates, you can see how much you're paying in hidden exchange rate costs with transfer services.
Cash pick-up locations in Curaçao
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
No-maximum limit transfers with competitive exchange rates for 100+ currencies. No transfer fee over AUD$10,000.
Ask an Expert