How to send money to Bosnia and Herzegovina
Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Bosnia and Herzegovina.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Despite periods of instability in the region, Bosnia and Herzegovina continues efforts to maintain peace within its borders since the end of the Bosnian War. The country is a member of several international organisations promoting peace and is currently transitioning from a centrally planned economy to a market economy.
The majority of Bosnians started arriving in Australia after the Second World War, during the 1960s and then the Bosnian War in the early 1990s. Located around Melbourne, Sydney and Perth, Bosnian-Australians number around 60,000. Several Australian sports and entertainment celebrities claim Bosnian heritage, including rugby player Ned Catic, model Monika Radulovic and football player Dino Djulbic.
Send money to Bosnia and Herzegovina with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Case Study: Banks versus money transfer companies
After emigrating to Australia was a child, Yevgeny’s daughter wants to go back to Sarajevo to practice medicine in a children’s hospital. Few online transfer companies allow transactions between Australia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, so Yevgeny isn’t exactly spoilt for choice when deciding which service to use.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 = 1.25 BAM||$1 = 1.21 BAM|
|Amount received for $500||627 BAM||603 BAM|
|Transfer time||24 hours||1 to 2 business days|
|Transfer options||Online, in person||Bank transfer|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Bosnia and Herzegovina?
Here’s how to make sure you get the best value for your Australian dollars when sending money to Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Exchange rates. Some services offer quicker delivery for a higher fee, while others offer low or zero fees but with a longer delivery delay. The idea is to find the combination that helps you save on transfer fees and guarantees the best exchange rate.
- Pick-up methods. Money can be deposited directly into the recipient’s account or the recipient can collect the funds in person at a designated pick-up point.
- Fees. Some services charge a transfer fee as well as a fee to convert your dollars into the local currency. Keep in mind that transfers to Bosnia and Herzegovina are expensive.
- Same-bank transfers. Transferring between accounts held at the same bank usually don’t incur any fees.
- Turnaround time. Transfer time differs from service to service, but most guarantee delivery within two to three business days.
- Transfer methods. Most services facilitate transfers online, via telephone or in person at a branch.
- Transfer options. Depending on the service, you can have your account set up to make regular payments to your recipients or market orders for investments.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Most money transfer services usually have a minimum amount you can send, usually between $10 and $50.
- Customer service. A good, reliable customer service department is essential. If you can’t get the information you need from the reference or tracking number, customer service should be able to answer your questions.
How do I send money to Bosnia and Herzegovina from Australia?
Not all money transfer companies and banks allow transfers to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Your best bet would be an international wire service like Western Union. Here are a few alternatives to consider.
- Ria Financial. This is a transfer service that will send money to your recipient online in minutes, but for a relatively high fee.
- WorldRemit. This online transfer service facilitates bank transfers between Australia and Bosnia and Herzegovina for a small fee.
How do I receive money from Bosnia and Herzegovina in Australia?
If you need to send money to Australia from Bosnia and Herzegovina, the best option is a money transfer service like MoneyGram or WorldRemit instead of a bank. Try one of the following online transfer services:
- WorldRemit. This service offers quick, cheap transfers between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Australia. You can finalise the transaction online or over the phone.
- Western Union. One of the most popular and widely available online transfer services, Western Union is one of the few transfer companies with pick-up locations in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Emergency cash transfers in Bosnia and Herzegovina
If you suffer a financial emergency while in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the quickest way to access funds is via online money transfer. Here’s how you could have money delivered in an emergency:
- Transfer service with pick-up locations. One way to quickly access money is through an online transfer companies like MoneyGram or Western Union.
- Travel insurance. Depending on the type of emergency and whether or not you’re eligible for cover, you can make a claim on your travel insurance policy.
Cash pick-up locations in Bosnia and Herzegovina/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Western Union and MoneyGram are among the few that offer pick-up services in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Here are a few to keep in mind.
- Istocno Sarajevo
Stefana Nemanje Bb Istocno Sarajevo,
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm, Saturday 8am to 1pm
- Pavlovic International Bank
Nikole Tesle Bb Istocno Sarajevo 71123
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm, Saturday 8am to 12pm
- Poste Srpske
Kralja Petra I Karadjordjevica
Banja Luka, 78101
+387 051 211080
Open 7am to 8pm, Saturday 7am to 6pm
- Unicredit Bank
Poslovnica 1 U Banja Luci
Veselina Maslese 10
Banja Luka 78000
+387 36 356574
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 8am to 12pm
- Nova Banka
+387 33 711 330
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm, Saturday 8am to 1pm
- Nova Banka
+387 33 277336
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 8am to 1pm
- Nova Banka
Trg Republike Srpske 8
Banja Luka 78000
+387 51 329 472
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm
- HVB Central Profit Banka
Veselina Maslese 10
Banja Luka 78000
+387 51 224850
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm
Tips for picking up cash in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Although Smart Traveller advises normal safety precautions in Bosnia and Herzegovina, it still pays to keep an eye out for suspicious behaviour when collecting your money. The influx of migrants may impact public transport systems and delays at borders. Go with your travelling partner or ask a local from your hotel to accompany you. Check the opening hours before you go so that you’re not left waiting outside.
What are the steps to send money to Bosnia and Herzegovina?
You can send money from Australia to Bosnia and Herzegovina via online money transfer. MoneyGram, Western Union and WorldRemit are among the few that If you’re making a transfer for the first time, you’ll be asked to set up an account before the transfer can take place. Information required includes:
- Name and address
- Contact information
- Bank information
- Your recipient’s contact and bank information
Once you’ve requested the transfer, you’ll get a tracking number as a reference. The customer service staff will request this number should you have questions about your transaction.
More guides on Finder
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here's how we choose them.
Review: Send international money transfers
If you’re thinking of transferring money overseas with Send, make sure you check out our review of its exchange rates, fees and transfer speed first.
Sydney Forex international money transfers review
Your guide to the exchange rates, fees and transfer methods offered by Sydney Forex, an international money transfer service based in Lakemba.
Review: Pinoy First international money transfers
Check out our comprehensive review of Pinoy First, an international money transfer service that specialises in sending money to the Philippines.
Remit2India review: Send money to India
Sending money to India? Compare your options including Remit2India, a specialist online transfer service that can help you send back home to loved ones.
How to send money to Europe cheaply
The ultimate guide to how to send a quick and affordable money transfer from Australia to Europe.
Consumers still relying on banks to send money overseas
Only one in 20 Australian consumers are using online money transfer providers to send money abroad.
Australian dollar to Bosnian convertible mark exchange rate
Live exchange rates Australian dollar to Convertible Mark. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to BAM.
A guide to finding the best prepaid SIM card when travelling to Bosnia and Herzegovina
Opting for a prepaid SIM card when travelling to Bosnia and Herzegovina means you could save on roaming charges.
Send money overseas with Bankwest International Payments
Bankwest lets you send money to more than 200 countries the world over, in 15 different currencies.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert