How to send money to Albania
Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Albania.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
If you need to send money to Albania, whether for business or personal reasons, only a couple of companies can help. Albanian leks are an exotic currency and not something most foreign exchange providers deal in.
Household names Western Union and MoneyGram both have a presence in Albania and can send a cash payment quick, but speed transfers can be expensive.
Below you can find a comparison of different money transfer companies you can use to send money to Albania.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Send money to Albania with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Conditions apply.
An online money transfer service with cash pick-up, bank account to bank account and airtime transfers available.
- Minimum transfer amount: $1
- Maximum transfer amount: $50,000
- Online transfer fee: $3.99
- Cash pick up available.
Banks versus money transfer companies
You can make use of your bank’s international payment services to send money to Albania. Banks do not publish their AUD / ALL exchange rate; however, you can find out the rate you’ll get by logging into your online banking facility. The below table highlights the main differences between companies you can use to send money to Albania.
|Money Transfer Company 1 - Bank||Money Transfer Company 2 - International Cash Payment Service||Money Transfer Company 3 - Online Money Transfer Company|
|Exchange rate||N/A||1 AUD = 85.9937 ALL||1 AUD = 88.849 ALL|
|Amount received for $1000 (in Albanian lek)||N/A||85993.73 ALL||88,848.57 ALL|
|Transfer time||2 - 6 business days||Minutes||2 - 4 business days|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Cash collection||Bank account deposit|
|Difference of||N/A||+2854.84 ALL (approx $30AUD) plus $10 on the transfer fee = savings of approx. $40 AUD|
Correct 1.00PM 16/02/16Back to top
How do I compare money transfer companies
Have a look at these features when you compare a quote to send money to Albania.
- Exchange rate. Which providers will let you exchange Australian dollars to Albanian lek, and if so, at what rate of conversion. Some providers offer best rate guarantees on international money transfers.
- Transfer fee. The additional cost for sending money to Albania. Some providers give you your first transfer for free and other providers don’t charge a transfer fee at all. Be sure to compare the exchange rate on free transfer offers. Sometimes the transfer fee can be included in an additional exchange rate margin.
- Transfer time. The transfer time is based on the payment and collection methods. Bank transfers can take a couple of business days to clear. Add a few more days to the transfer time when you’re paying for the transaction using a bank account deposit.
- Collection options. Do you want to send cash or do you want to send the money to a bank account in Albania?
- Payment options. Different payment options can include bank account deposits and debit or credit card payments. Credit and debit card payments clear almost instantly.
- Transfer options. Cash transfers, forwards contracts, spot orders and recurring payments are some of the different transfer options on offer from different providers.
- Transfer limits. Compare transfer limits for orders under $100 or over $5,000.
- Customer service. Is there an Australian based customer service team available to contact if you have a question about your payment to Albania.
How do I send money to Albania from Australia?
Below is a brief description of the process to send money to Albania.
Providers Citibank and HSBC do not include Albania in their free global transfer networks. You can use the international transfer services of your bank for a fee. Log into your online banking facility and select the menu that lets you make an international payment. If this is the first time you’ve made a payment to this bank account in Albania, you’ll need to add a the payee as a beneficiary first. You’ll need some information such as the payee’s bank name, BIC, SWIFT code and account number.
International cash payment service
Companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram can send cash to Albania in minutes. These companies have more than a handful of cash collection agents throughout Albania.
- Western Union. Western Union tend to have partnerships with a wider range of Albanian merchants compared to MoneyGram.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram are partnered with Albanian banks and credit agencies.
Online money transfer companies
These companies operate online and can deposit funds into an Albanian bank account.
- Worldfirst. Worldfirst have a flat transfer fee for transactions under $10,000. Payments greater than $10,000 are free. Worldfirst offer spot payments, forward contracts, rate fixing and recurring payments.
- Compass Global Markets. Compass Global Markets can offer you a currency trading account for spot transactions, forwards contracts, limit orders and more.
How do I receive money from Albania in Australia?
How are the funds being sent?
- Receiving funds in your bank account. You’ll need to provide you bank account and personal details to the sender to receive funds in your bank account.
- Your name
- Your account number
- The bank’s SWIFT, BSB, BIC or IBAN. This information is available from your financial institution’s website.
- Collecting cash. Provide your name and the transaction reference number to collect cash from an agent like Western Union. Note that cash payment services can also deposit funds into a bank account.
- PayPal transfers. If someone in Albania wants to send you a PayPal payment. The sender can find your account if you give them your email address or phone number. Once you receive the money, you can transfer the funds to your bank account and then make a withdrawal.
Emergency cash transfers in Albania
Have a look at these options if you’re looking to get cash to Albania in an emergency.
- International cash payment. International cash payment companies such as Western Union or MoneyGram can send cash to Albania in minutes. You can send a cash payment by logging on to the provider’s website. Pay using card for an almost instant cash transfer to an Albanian collection agent.
- Emergency cash. Card schemes such as Visa or Mastercard can provide emergency cash if your card is lost or stolen. The funds in your account up to your available credit limit can be issued as cash to collect from a bank or cash agent in as little as a day.
- Travel insurance. You may be eligible to receive an emergency cash benefit from your travel insurance provider for some covered events. Your travel insurance product disclosure document outlines when an emergency cash benefit can be paid.
Cash pickup locations in Albania / Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Albania
Have a look at the different Western Union and MoneyGram agents in Albania. Many banks act as Western Union and MoneyGram agents in Albania’s major cities.
- Glei Exchange
Sheshi Sulejman Pasha Ndertesa Nr 2 Hyrja Nr 3,
Tirane, Albania, 1001
Open Monday to Saturday 8.00AM to 7.00PM
+355 4 2234979
- ALB Kredit
Rr Ded Gjo Luli, Tirane, Albania, 1001
Open Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 2.00PM
Open Saturday 9.00AM to 12.00PM
+355 4 2234979
- GFU AL
Lagjia Luigj Gurakuqi Pall 75 Kati I Ap 1,
Elbasan, Albania, 3001
Open Monday to Saturday 8.00AM to 7.00PM
+355 4 2234979
- Union Elbasani
Rr 11 Nentori P 70, Elbassan, Albania, 3001
Open Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 6.00PM
Open Saturday 8.00AM to 1.00PM
Open Sunday 9.00AM to 12.00PM
+355 4 2234979
- Banka Societe Generale Albania
Lagjja. 3 Sheshi Ilira Egt Tower Kati Dyte,
Open Monday to Friday 8.30AM to 3.30PM
+355 0 52237157
- BKT - Dega Plazhi Durrës
Lagija 13 RR Tre Vellezerit Thanasi Plazh,
Open Monday to Friday 8.30AM to 3.30PM
+355 5 2263415
- Raiffeisen Bank - Dega - Vlorë - 006
Lagjia Bulevardi Ismail Qemali,
Open Monday to Friday 8.30AM to 4.30PM
Open Saturday 8.30AM to 1.00PM
- First Investment Bank
lagjia pavarsia Portia Detar,
Open Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 5.00PM
Tips for picking up cash in Albania
Smarttraveller.gov.au advises Australians should exercise a normal degree of caution in Albania. While pickpocketing and petty theft do occur, instances of violent crime against Australians in Albania are rare. Travel in a group if you’re picking up cash. You may also want to ask your hotel for an escort. They may be able to assist you or at least offer some advice on the current local situation.
What are the steps to send money to Albania?
To make an overseas telegraphic transfer from your bank account, log on to your internet banking and look for the option that lets you make an international payment. You’ll need to add the payee as a beneficiary if this your first payment. You’ll need to provide the payee’s details such as the SWIFT code, BIC, bank account number. Most financial institutions lets you do a search for a bank using the bank name or SWIFT code. Ensure you have all the right information so the funds get to the right account.
Money transfer company
Register for an account to use the services of one of the companies compared on this page. It’s free and it can completed in a couple of minutes. Provide the following about yourself:
- Personal details
- Contact details
- Identification — some providers may ask for a faxed or emailed copy of your passport or licence and a utility bill.
You should be issued with a tracking number or code. You can use this information to check on the status of your funds transfer to Albania.
If you have any questions about the comparison on this page, feel free to ask us a question. We can’t provide personal or financial advice, but we’re happy to help aid your comparison of products you can use to send money to Albania.
More guides on Finder
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Xinja, Up, 86 400 cut savings rates: Are neobanks still competitive?
Digital banks are cutting the interest rates on their savings accounts and reducing the amount of money you're able to earn interest on.
Gay Match Maker overview
Find out everything there is to know about this Australian-exclusive dating site.
eHarmony | What’s the popular online dating site like?
Here’s everything you need to know about the global matchmaking site eHarmony and how to use it to find love.
Credit cards vs buy now pay later
Both buy now pay later plans and credit cards give you ways to pay off purchases over time – here's how they compare.
Square Payments & Payroll review Australia
Square offers simple ways for businesses to accept card payments, along with a range of other services including payroll.
Put your savings on autopilot: 4 money hacks for lazy people
SPONSORED: Saving money shouldn't feel like a chore. Here are four ways you can save more money while basically doing nothing at all.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
How to invest in stocks in your 20s
SPONSORED: Eight tips to help you get started buying shares in your 20s.
Goulburn Murray Credit Union Amigo Credit Card
This Visa credit card offers low-cost and simple account features, plus mobile payments through Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert