HIF Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC)
Looking for visa-compliant health insurance? Compare Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) from HIF.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
HIF has been helping Australians look after their health care needs since 1954. As well as offering a range of domestic hospital and extras policies, HIF also offers Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) to make health insurance easy, convenient and affordable for those visiting Australia.
HIF OVHC is designed to help you afford to pay for medical care while in Australia. It can help you reduce your out-of-pocket expenses for everything from GP visits to major surgery, giving you peace of mind for the duration of your stay.
OVHC is not a requirement for every visa but it is compulsory for the majority of long-term visas. For example, to qualify for a 457 temporary employment visa or a 676 tourist visa, you must have an adequate level of health insurance cover in place for the duration of your stay. HIF offers OVHC policies to suit working and non-working visas that include the following:
- 457 Temporary Work (Skilled) visa
- 676 Tourist visa
- 410 Retirement visa
- Short-term visitors
- Temporary residents
- Norfolk Island residents
HIF’s OVHC offers several hospital cover and extras cover policies designed to suit the different needs of foreign visitors. The cover provided by these policies is outlined below:
- Comprehensive Working Visa. Top-level cover designed for those who want the highest level of protection while in Australia. It is available with an optional $500 or $1,000 excess to help reduce the cost of premiums.
- Intermediate Working Visa. A mid-level policy and HIF’s most popular option for working visa holders. It provides cover for a range of hospital related treatments (including GP visits) at an affordable price.
- Essentials Working Visa. This entry-level option meets the minimum visa requirements to fulfil the 8501 Condition. It is intended to be as affordable as possible while providing cover for vital medical treatment and services in a public hospital.
- Basic Working Visa. HIF's newest product is an affordable OVHC policy. It covers the same treatments as the Essentials Working Visa policy, including pregnancy.
Hospital treatments covered by HIF OVHC
|Access Gap cover|
|Intensive care fees|
|X-rays and pathology|
|Cardiac (heart) services|
|Bone marrow and organ transplants|
|Assisted reproductive surgery|
|Services not covered by Medicare|
- Visitor Value. This is a mid-range option fulfils the health insurance requirements for non-working visa holders aged 64 years and under. It can be taken out with a $250 or $500 excess to reduce the cost of premiums.
- Visitor Saver. Designed for young holidaymakers and tourists, this policy offers a basic level of health insurance which covers you for treatment in a shared room in a public hospital. An excess option of $250 or $500 is available.
- Warning. The Visitor Saver policy does not fulfil visa requirements. If you require a visa letter of compliance you need to purchase the Visitor Value policy.
Hospital treatments covered by HIF non-working visa policies
|Treatment||Visitor Saver||Visitor Value|
|Cardiac (heart) services|
|Surgically implanted prostheses|
- Premium Options. The highest level of HIF extras policy available, Premium Options offers comprehensive cover for all the services covered by the Super Options policy, but with larger benefits and higher annual limits.
- Super Options. Super Options is HIF’s most popular extras policy for Australian visitors. It covers all the same treatments and services as the Special Options policy but has higher benefit limits.
- Special Options. This intermediate extras policy offers cover for all the same treatments as the Saver Options policy, but includes more generous benefit limits and major dental.
- Saver Options. This entry-level policy is designed for young and healthy people and offers affordable cover for a range of common general treatments.
- Vital Options. This basic policy covers general treatment services you might need, including chiro, physio, osteo and general dental, plus gives you 50% back for each service until you reach the $800 per person annual limit.
General treatments covered by HIF extras policies
|Treatment||Premium Options||Super Options||Special Options||Saver Options||Vital Options|
|Auxiliary home nursing|
|Blood glucose/pressure monitor|
|Assisted reproduction drugs|
When you take out an OVHC policy with HIF, you will need to serve a waiting period before you will be eligible to access any benefits. These apply to both hospital and extras health insurance and will vary depending on the specific treatment or condition you claim for. Select your OVHC policy type to view the relevant waiting periods.
- Millions of Aussies will pay more for health insurance from October
- How health insurance could save you cash in tax time 2020
- Final days before thousands of Aussies are hit with health insurance penalty
- Aussie health funds offer EOFY bargains
- Earning over $90K? There’s an easy way to cut your tax bill
- Turned 31 recently? It’s time to decide about health insurance
More guides on Finder
Visa 651 (eVisitor) OVHC
Coming to Australia on a 651 Visa? Find out what you'll need for health insurance.
Tips for saving on your insurance bills
Here's how you could save hundreds of dollars a year, just by looking at your insurance for a few minutes.
Coronavirus: Where to get mental health support
Here's how you can get online and over-the-phone mental health support and still be covered by Medicare and private health insurance.
Podcast: Busting Australia’s top health insurance myths
From hospital to extras, tax time to turning 31, this week's Pocket Money podcast will arm you with everything you need to know about health insurance.
Health insurance premium rates are rising in Australia
Get the lowdown on what's happening, so you can get a better deal on your health insurance.
How does health insurance cover chronic pain?
See how private health insurance can offer support for chronic pain.
590 Student Guardian Visa
Find out what health insurance you need for the 590 Visa and how to get cover for pre-existing conditions.
Frank Overseas Visitor Health Cover
Frank Health Insurance provides Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) for 457, 482 and 485 visas. Find out if it has a policy that's right for you.
Health insurance for grommets
Want to get health cover for grommets? Find out how private health insurance and Medicare costs compare and what you'll be covered for. Choose the option that suits you best.
190 Skilled Nominated Visa
The 190 Visa gives you permanent residency and can lead to citizenship. Read our easy, step-by-step guide on how to apply and what health cover you will need to have in place.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert