Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
HIF Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC)
Looking for visa-compliant health insurance? Compare Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) from HIF.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
HIF has been helping Australians look after their health care needs since 1954. As well as offering a range of domestic hospital and extras policies, HIF also offers Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) to make health insurance easy, convenient and affordable for those visiting Australia.
HIF OVHC is designed to help you afford to pay for medical care while in Australia. It can help you reduce your out-of-pocket expenses for everything from GP visits to major surgery, giving you peace of mind for the duration of your stay.
OVHC is not a requirement for every visa but it is compulsory for the majority of long-term visas. For example, to qualify for a 457 temporary employment visa or a 676 tourist visa, you must have an adequate level of health insurance cover in place for the duration of your stay. HIF offers OVHC policies to suit working and non-working visas that include the following:
- 457 Temporary Work (Skilled) visa
- 676 Tourist visa
- 410 Retirement visa
- Short-term visitors
- Temporary residents
- Norfolk Island residents
HIF’s OVHC offers several hospital cover and extras cover policies designed to suit the different needs of foreign visitors. The cover provided by these policies is outlined below:
- Comprehensive Working Visa. Top-level cover designed for those who want the highest level of protection while in Australia. It is available with an optional $500 or $1000 excess to help reduce the cost of premiums.
- Intermediate Working Visa. A mid-level policy and HIF’s most popular option for working visa holders. It provides cover for a range of hospital related treatments (including GP visits) at an affordable price.
- Essentials Working Visa. This entry-level option meets the minimum visa requirements to fulfil the 8501 Condition. It is intended to be as affordable as possible while providing cover for vital medical treatment and services in a public hospital.
- Basic Working Visa. HIF's newest product is an affordable OVHC policy. It covers the same treatments as the Essentials Working Visa policy, including pregnancy.
Hospital treatments covered by HIF OVHC
|Access Gap cover|
|Intensive care fees|
|X-rays and pathology|
|Cardiac (heart) services|
|Bone marrow and organ transplants|
|Assisted reproductive surgery|
|Services not covered by Medicare|
- Visitor Value. This is a mid-range option fulfils the health insurance requirements for non-working visa holders aged 64 years and under. It can be taken out with a $250 or $500 excess to reduce the cost of premiums.
- Visitor Saver. Designed for young holidaymakers and tourists, this policy offers a basic level of health insurance which covers you for treatment in a shared room in a public hospital. An excess option of $250 or $500 is available.
- Warning. The Visitor Saver policy does not fulfil visa requirements. If you require a visa letter of compliance you need to purchase the Visitor Value policy.
Hospital treatments covered by HIF non-working visa policies
|Treatment||Visitor Saver||Visitor Value|
|Cardiac (heart) services|
|Surgically implanted prostheses|
- Premium Options. The highest level of HIF extras policy available, Premium Options offers comprehensive cover for all the services covered by the Super Options policy, but with larger benefits and higher annual limits.
- Super Options. Super Options is HIF’s most popular extras policy for Australian visitors. It covers all the same treatments and services as the Special Options policy but has higher benefit limits.
- Special Options. This intermediate extras policy offers cover for all the same treatments as the Saver Options policy, but includes more generous benefit limits and major dental.
- Saver Options. This entry-level policy is designed for young and healthy people and offers affordable cover for a range of common general treatments.
- Vital Options. This basic policy covers general treatment services you might need, including chiro, physio, osteo and general dental, plus gives you 50% back for each service until you reach the $800 per person annual limit.
General treatments covered by HIF extras policies
|Treatment||Premium Options||Super Options||Special Options||Saver Options||Vital Options|
|Auxiliary home nursing|
|Blood glucose/pressure monitor|
|Assisted reproduction drugs|
When you take out an OVHC policy with HIF, you will need to serve a waiting period before you will be eligible to access any benefits. These apply to both hospital and extras health insurance and will vary depending on the specific treatment or condition you claim for. Select your OVHC policy type to view the relevant waiting periods.
- Can getting health insurance before July save you money on tax?
- Is $1 billion enough to reform Australia’s healthcare system? Expert analysis
- Coughing up their coverage: 2.9 million Aussies won’t renew their health insurance in 2022
- Age of dependents raised to 31: Has your health fund changed?
- How much is your health insurer putting up prices this week?
- 5 deals to avoid the April health insurance premium hike
More guides on Finder
600 visa health insurance
Get cover quickly and easily for your stay in Australia.
Visa 651 (eVisitor) OVHC
Coming to Australia on a 651 Visa? Find out what you'll need for health insurance.
590 Student Guardian Visa Health Insurance
Find out what health insurance you need for the 590 Visa and how to get cover for pre-existing conditions.
190 Skilled Nominated Visa
The 190 Visa gives you permanent residency and can lead to citizenship. Read our easy, step-by-step guide on how to apply and what health cover you will need to have in place.
403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa
Find out if you are eligible for the 403 and what the healthcare requirements are.
462 Visa Health Insurance
Find out who the 462 Visa is for and what the healthcare requirements are.
Australian Unity Overseas Visitor Health Cover
Does your visa require health cover? Check out Australian Unity's 6 OVHC options for working and holiday visas to see if they have a policy that's right for you.
476 Visa Health Insurance
Find out who is eligible for 476 Visa, what you need, the requirements and restrictions.
188 Visa Health Insurance
Find out who is eligible for the 188 Business Visa, how much it costs, the health and financial requirements, and age restrictions.
407 Training Visa Health Insurance
Find out who is eligible for 407 Training Visa, what you need, the requirements and the restrictions.
Save on your health insurance
Ask an Expert