Looking for visa-compliant health insurance? Compare Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) from HIF.
HIF has been helping Australians look after their health care needs since 1954. As well as offering a range of domestic hospital and extras policies, HIF also offers Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) to make health insurance easy, convenient and affordable for those visiting Australia.
HIF OVHC is designed to help you afford to pay for medical care while in Australia. It can help you reduce your out-of-pocket expenses for everything from GP visits to major surgery, giving you peace of mind for the duration of your stay.
OVHC is not a requirement for every visa but it is compulsory for the majority of long-term visas. For example, to qualify for a 457 temporary employment visa or a 676 tourist visa, you must have an adequate level of health insurance cover in place for the duration of your stay. HIF offers OVHC policies to suit working and non-working visas that include the following:
- 457 Temporary Work (Skilled) visa
- 676 Tourist visa
- 410 Retirement visa
- Short-term visitors
- Temporary residents
- Norfolk Island residents
HIF’s OVHC offers several hospital cover and extras cover policies designed to suit the different needs of foreign visitors. The cover provided by these policies is outlined below:
- Comprehensive Working Visa. Top-level cover designed for those who want the highest level of protection while in Australia. It is available with an optional $500 or $1,000 excess to help reduce the cost of premiums.
- Intermediate Working Visa. A mid-level policy and HIF’s most popular option for working visa holders. It provides cover for a range of hospital related treatments (including GP visits) at an affordable price.
- Essentials Working Visa. This entry-level option meets the minimum visa requirements to fulfil the 8501 Condition. It is intended to be as affordable as possible while providing cover for vital medical treatment and services in a public hospital.
- Basic Working Visa. HIF's newest product is an affordable OVHC policy. It covers the same treatments as the Essentials Working Visa policy, including pregnancy.
Hospital treatments covered by HIF OVHC
|Access Gap cover|
|Intensive care fees|
|X-rays and pathology|
|Cardiac (heart) services|
|Bone marrow and organ transplants|
|Assisted reproductive surgery|
|Services not covered by Medicare|
- Visitor Value. This is a mid-range option fulfils the health insurance requirements for non-working visa holders aged 64 years and under. It can be taken out with a $250 or $500 excess to reduce the cost of premiums.
- Visitor Saver. Designed for young holidaymakers and tourists, this policy offers a basic level of health insurance which covers you for treatment in a shared room in a public hospital. An excess option of $250 or $500 is available.
- Warning. The Visitor Saver policy does not fulfil visa requirements. If you require a visa letter of compliance you need to purchase the Visitor Value policy.
Hospital treatments covered by HIF non-working visa policies
|Treatment||Visitor Saver||Visitor Value|
|Cardiac (heart) services|
|Surgically implanted prostheses|
- Premium Options. The highest level of HIF extras policy available, Premium Options offers comprehensive cover for all the services covered by the Super Options policy, but with larger benefits and higher annual limits.
- Super Options. Super Options is HIF’s most popular extras policy for Australian visitors. It covers all the same treatments and services as the Special Options policy but has higher benefit limits.
- Special Options. This intermediate extras policy offers cover for all the same treatments as the Saver Options policy, but includes more generous benefit limits and major dental.
- Saver Options. This entry-level policy is designed for young and healthy people and offers affordable cover for a range of common general treatments.
General treatments covered by HIF extras policies
|Treatment||Premium Options||Super Options||Special Options||Saver Options|
|Auxiliary home nursing|
|Blood glucose/pressure monitor|
|Assisted reproduction drugs|
When you take out an OVHC policy with HIF, you will need to serve a waiting period before you will be eligible to access any benefits. These apply to both hospital and extras health insurance and will vary depending on the specific treatment or condition you claim for. Select your OVHC policy type to view the relevant waiting periods.
- Government announces price cut for major medications
- Parliament approves private health insurance reforms
- Money Hack: Get up to $1,000 cash back on health insurance
- Two major health funds offer premium relief for drought-stricken farmers
- Health funds cover $2.6 billion per annum in dental benefits
- Money Hack: Get healthy and save on insurance