Compare the latest and biggest bonus points deals.
How to earn frequent flyer points with Uber gift cards
Earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points whenever you need a ride.
You can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points for Uber bookings to and from airports, and you can earn more points by paying for all your Uber trips with a credit card that earns points. There's another tactic that can help you score points through Uber too: buying Uber gift cards with bonus points offers from major supermarkets.
By buying gift cards and using them to pay for your Uber trips, you can score a handy batch of extra points from one of your regular expenses. That's especially handy if your main frequent flyer account is Velocity, since there's no formal Uber/Velocity partnership.
To add the gift card credit to your Uber account, choose the Payment option in the Uber app and select "Add Promo/Gift Code". Your gift card credit will always be used first when available. It's true you'll miss out on earning points through your credit card payment while using this option, but if there's a bonus deal in place, the overall number of points you'll score should more than offset that.
Traps to watch out for
Don't squander your Uber points opportunity! Follow these tips to avoid common mistakes:
- You can't buy multiple cards for extra points. These deals usually limit bonus points offers to one per household during each campaign. So there's no point buying more than one card at a time.
- Remember to scan your loyalty card. It sounds obvious, but it's easy to forget: if you don't scan before payment, you don't get the bonus points.
- Your gift card buys won't earn extra flybuys or Woolworths Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points when you buy them. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points for the actual face value of the purchase. Keep this in mind if you're trying to take advantage of a targeted offer which offers bonus points when you spend a certain amount at a supermarket chain each week.
- Self-serve checkouts can be tricky. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can do this in Coles, but a staff member will still need to authorise your purchase. Given that, an express checkout is usually faster.
- Your points may not appear straight away. It usually takes a day or two for bonus points to show up in your card balance. Hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points appear on your statement.
- Remember to convert your points. For Woolworths Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points, all your points are automatically converted and added to your Qantas account. However, with flybuys, you need to log in and convert your points to Velocity.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEIf you're a regular Uber passenger, take advantage of this trick when you can in order to keep your points total buoyant, especially for non-airport trips. Deals at Coles are especially handy for Velocity points earners.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert