How to earn frequent flyer points with Uber gift cards
Earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points whenever you need a ride.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
You can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points for Uber bookings to and from airports, and you can earn more points by paying for all your Uber trips with a credit card that earns points. There's another tactic that can help you score points through Uber too: buying Uber gift cards with bonus points offers from major supermarkets.
By buying gift cards and using them to pay for your Uber trips, you can score a handy batch of extra points from one of your regular expenses. That's especially handy if your main frequent flyer account is Velocity, since there's no formal Uber/Velocity partnership.
To add the gift card credit to your Uber account, choose the Payment option in the Uber app and select "Add Promo/Gift Code". Your gift card credit will always be used first when available. It's true you'll miss out on earning points through your credit card payment while using this option, but if there's a bonus deal in place, the overall number of points you'll score should more than offset that.
Traps to watch out for
Don't squander your Uber points opportunity! Follow these tips to avoid common mistakes:
- You can't buy multiple cards for extra points. These deals usually limit bonus points offers to one per household during each campaign. So there's no point buying more than one card at a time.
- Remember to scan your loyalty card. It sounds obvious, but it's easy to forget: if you don't scan before payment, you don't get the bonus points.
- Your gift card buys won't earn extra Flybuys or Everyday Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points when you buy them. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points for the actual face value of the purchase. Keep this in mind if you're trying to take advantage of a targeted offer which offers bonus points when you spend a certain amount at a supermarket chain each week.
- Self-serve checkouts can be tricky. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can do this in Coles, but a staff member will still need to authorise your purchase. Given that, an express checkout is usually faster.
- Your points may not appear straight away. It usually takes a day or two for bonus points to show up in your card balance. Hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points appear on your statement.
- Remember to convert your points. For Everyday Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points, all your points are automatically converted and added to your Qantas account. However, with Flybuys, you need to log in and convert your points to Velocity.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEIf you're a regular Uber passenger, take advantage of this trick when you can in order to keep your points total buoyant, especially for non-airport trips. Deals at Coles are especially handy for Velocity points earners.
More guides on Finder
How to build a DIY Raspberry Pi arcade machine for retro gaming
We explain everything you need to make your own retro arcade machine, built around the super-flexible Raspberry Pi.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
The American Express Business Card
The American Express Business Card offers reliable service, a wide range of benefits, additional features, and competitive fees.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Citi Rewards Card – Points & Gift Card Offer
Enjoy an introductory 90,000 bonus Citi reward Points, a $100 Coles eGift card, plus a reduced first-year annual fee with this Citi Rewards Card offer.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert