How to earn frequent flyer points with Uber gift cards
Earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points whenever you need a ride.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
You can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points for Uber bookings to and from airports, and you can earn more points by paying for all your Uber trips with a credit card that earns points. There's another tactic that can help you score points through Uber too: buying Uber gift cards with bonus points offers from major supermarkets.
By buying gift cards and using them to pay for your Uber trips, you can score a handy batch of extra points from one of your regular expenses. That's especially handy if your main frequent flyer account is Velocity, since there's no formal Uber/Velocity partnership.
To add the gift card credit to your Uber account, choose the Payment option in the Uber app and select "Add Promo/Gift Code". Your gift card credit will always be used first when available. It's true you'll miss out on earning points through your credit card payment while using this option, but if there's a bonus deal in place, the overall number of points you'll score should more than offset that.
Traps to watch out for
Don't squander your Uber points opportunity! Follow these tips to avoid common mistakes:
- You can't buy multiple cards for extra points. These deals usually limit bonus points offers to one per household during each campaign. So there's no point buying more than one card at a time.
- Remember to scan your loyalty card. It sounds obvious, but it's easy to forget: if you don't scan before payment, you don't get the bonus points.
- Your gift card buys won't earn extra Flybuys or Everyday Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points when you buy them. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points for the actual face value of the purchase. Keep this in mind if you're trying to take advantage of a targeted offer which offers bonus points when you spend a certain amount at a supermarket chain each week.
- Self-serve checkouts can be tricky. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can do this in Coles, but a staff member will still need to authorise your purchase. Given that, an express checkout is usually faster.
- Your points may not appear straight away. It usually takes a day or two for bonus points to show up in your card balance. Hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points appear on your statement.
- Remember to convert your points. For Everyday Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points, all your points are automatically converted and added to your Qantas account. However, with Flybuys, you need to log in and convert your points to Velocity.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEIf you're a regular Uber passenger, take advantage of this trick when you can in order to keep your points total buoyant, especially for non-airport trips. Deals at Coles are especially handy for Velocity points earners.
- Qantas Points Auction: What are the best deals?
- Qantas Digital Health Pass: How vaccination passports will work
- HUGE Virgin Australia business class fare discounts – don’t miss out!
- Qantas EXTENDS triple points offer: Last chance to boost yours
- LAST CHANCE: Virgin Australia EOFY sales to get 50% bonus points
More guides on Finder
How to avoid impermanent loss and save money
Earning interest on your cryptos is great, but you're probably losing some of it to impermanent loss.
Qantas EXTENDS triple points offer: Last chance to boost yours
Earn triple Qantas Points on flights, hotels and holidays from now until June 2022.
ANZ Rewards Platinum – Exclusive Offer
This card offers a competitive rewards program, 150,000 bonus ANZ Reward Points, a first-year annual fee waiver and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Finder Awards 2021: Best credit cards revealed
Australia's best unveiled across 6 categories. Switch to a better card today!
Finance tips for getting a high-end look without breaking the bank
SPONSORED: Love the champagne lifestyle but living on a lemonade budget? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
How to stake VeChain
Staking VeChain is a way to earn extra interest on the cryptocurrency that you hold. Here's how it works and what to be aware of.
Coles Rewards Mastercard – Exclusive Offer
The Coles Rewards Mastercard offers a $0 first-year annual fee, $100 off a Coles Supermarket shop and 0% p.a. interest rate on balance transfers for the first 26 months.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Ask an Expert