How to earn frequent flyer points with Google Play gift cards
Earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points when you buy games, apps, music and movies.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Android is Australia's most popular choice of smartphone, and the Google Play store is where Android owners can buy apps, games, music and movies. If you're regularly making use of the Play Store and you also want to build up your frequent flyer points total, then deals on Google Play gift cards can be handy.
Coles' Flybuys and Woolworths' Everyday Rewards both regularly offer bonus point bundles with Google Play gift cards. Most often, you'll see either 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points when you buy a card. Given that regular supermarket shopping only earns 1 point per $1 spent, that's a large bonus.
So buying gift cards can be a useful top-up. As with any frequent flyer deal, it doesn't make sense to purchase a card purely for the points. If you're not going to use the credit (or give the card as an actual gift), then save your money for another time.
Follow these instructions to add the gift card credit to your Google Play account:
- Open Google Play on your phone.
- Choose Account from the main menu.
- Choose Payment methods.
- Choose Redeem code.
- Enter the code from the back of the card and tap REDEEM.
Traps to watch out for
Follow these tips to avoid common mistakes when using Google Play cards to earn points through supermarket deals:
- You can't buy multiple cards for extra points. The fine print for these deals always specifies that you can't score more than one lot of bonus points per household. That means there's no point buying more than one card at a time.
- Your gift card buys won't earn extra Flybuys or Everyday Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points when you buy them. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points for the actual cost of the card. Remember that if you're also trying to earn a bonus for spending a certain amount at the supermarket each week.
- Scan your loyalty card. If you don't scan prior to payment, you won't get the bonus points (and you can't retroactively add your loyalty card to purchases).
- Self-serve checkouts may be a hassle. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can in Coles, but a staff member will still have to authorise your purchase. Save the stress and head for an express checkout instead.
- Remember to convert your points. For Everyday Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points, all your points will be automatically converted and added to your Qantas account. However, with Flybuys, you have to log in and convert your points to Velocity (you can only do this in multiples of 2,000 Flybuys points).
- Your points may not appear immediately. Hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points appear on your statement.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEIf you regularly make purchases through Google Play, this can be a useful way of scoring some more bonus points. If you use an iPhone rather than an Android device, though, it's unlikely to be tempting.
- UPDATED: What to know about the Tasmanian border reopening
- Virgin Australia’s sale is flying you across the country from $69
- 7 things I learned from having to cancel my domestic trip | A couple of travel makers
- What Virgin’s CEO switch means for the future
- Which airline stocks are beating the rest in 2020?
Picture: TY Lim/Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
Why bottle shops are the new points battleground
Woolworths and Coles are holding back bonuses, but their liquor outlets aren't.
Diners Club Business Card
The Diners Club Business Card can be used to earn points per $1 with over 35 million merchants – including Officeworks, Qantas and Woolworths.
Frequent Flyer Diners Club card
Diners Club isn’t as widely accepted as other cards, but you can still earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 at major retailers with this card.
Earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia flights
Book flights through to August 2021 and earn 10 Velocity Points per $1 spent.
Credit cards vs buy now pay later
Both buy now pay later plans and credit cards give you ways to pay off purchases over time – here's how they compare.
How we picked 2020’s best frequent flyer credit card
Which card scored the Finder Award?
Qantas Points: Best Father’s Day gift deals to earn points
Bonus points offers on fashion, books and tech – we've got the full list.
flybuys double points offer: All the details
How do the new two-tier bonus offers work?
xCloud: Release date, price, details and how it works in Australia
Everything you need to know about Microsoft's video games streaming service, xCloud.
Netflix frequent flyer wars: Coles and Woolworths points deals compared
Earn Qantas or Velocity points from streaming. Which deal is better?
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert