How to earn frequent flyer points with Google Play gift cards
Earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points when you buy games, apps, music and movies.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Android is Australia's most popular choice of smartphone, and the Google Play store is where Android owners can buy apps, games, music and movies. If you're regularly making use of the Play Store and you also want to build up your frequent flyer points total, then deals on Google Play gift cards can be handy.
Coles' Flybuys and Woolworths' Everyday Rewards both regularly offer bonus point bundles with Google Play gift cards. Most often, you'll see either 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points when you buy a card. Given that regular supermarket shopping only earns 1 point per $1 spent, that's a large bonus.
So buying gift cards can be a useful top-up. As with any frequent flyer deal, it doesn't make sense to purchase a card purely for the points. If you're not going to use the credit (or give the card as an actual gift), then save your money for another time.
Follow these instructions to add the gift card credit to your Google Play account:
- Open Google Play on your phone.
- Choose Account from the main menu.
- Choose Payment methods.
- Choose Redeem code.
- Enter the code from the back of the card and tap REDEEM.
Traps to watch out for
Follow these tips to avoid common mistakes when using Google Play cards to earn points through supermarket deals:
- You can't buy multiple cards for extra points. The fine print for these deals always specifies that you can't score more than one lot of bonus points per household. That means there's no point buying more than one card at a time.
- Your gift card buys won't earn extra Flybuys or Everyday Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points when you buy them. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points for the actual cost of the card. Remember that if you're also trying to earn a bonus for spending a certain amount at the supermarket each week.
- Scan your loyalty card. If you don't scan prior to payment, you won't get the bonus points (and you can't retroactively add your loyalty card to purchases).
- Self-serve checkouts may be a hassle. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can in Coles, but a staff member will still have to authorise your purchase. Save the stress and head for an express checkout instead.
- Remember to convert your points. For Everyday Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points, all your points will be automatically converted and added to your Qantas account. However, with Flybuys, you have to log in and convert your points to Velocity (you can only do this in multiples of 2,000 Flybuys points).
- Your points may not appear immediately. Hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points appear on your statement.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEIf you regularly make purchases through Google Play, this can be a useful way of scoring some more bonus points. If you use an iPhone rather than an Android device, though, it's unlikely to be tempting.
Picture: TY Lim/Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
Qantas EXTENDS triple points offer: Last chance to boost yours
Earn triple Qantas Points on flights, hotels and holidays from now until June 2022.
ANZ Rewards Platinum – Exclusive Offer
This card offers a competitive rewards program, 150,000 bonus ANZ Reward Points, a first-year annual fee waiver and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
LAST CHANCE: Virgin Australia EOFY sales to get 50% bonus points
EXPIRED: Book these domestic flights before midnight tonight and earn extra points for every $1 spent.
Best family card games in Australia
These are the 9 best family card games you can purchase right now in Australia.
Best card games for parties in Australia
These are the seven best card games for parties you can buy right now in Australia.
Best board games for families in Australia
These are the 9 best board games for families you can buy in Australia right now.
American Express launches cashback card: How does it compare?
With a standard rate of 1% cashback per $1 spent on purchases, how much value can you get from this new Amex card?
Virgin Money Go Account
Virgin Money Go bank account: Pay no monthly account fees, earn points as you spend and earn bonus interest on a linked Virgin Money savings account.
5 ways to earn extra Qantas Points from your business in 2021
SPONSORED: We all know flights are the big-earners, but there are plenty of other ways to collect Qantas points through your business.
Ask an Expert