How to earn frequent flyer points with Google Play gift cards
Earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points when you buy games, apps, music and movies.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Android is Australia's most popular choice of smartphone, and the Google Play store is where Android owners can buy apps, games, music and movies. If you're regularly making use of the Play Store and you also want to build up your frequent flyer points total, then deals on Google Play gift cards can be handy.
Coles' Flybuys and Woolworths' Everyday Rewards both regularly offer bonus point bundles with Google Play gift cards. Most often, you'll see either 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points when you buy a card. Given that regular supermarket shopping only earns 1 point per $1 spent, that's a large bonus.
So buying gift cards can be a useful top-up. As with any frequent flyer deal, it doesn't make sense to purchase a card purely for the points. If you're not going to use the credit (or give the card as an actual gift), then save your money for another time.
Follow these instructions to add the gift card credit to your Google Play account:
- Open Google Play on your phone.
- Choose Account from the main menu.
- Choose Payment methods.
- Choose Redeem code.
- Enter the code from the back of the card and tap REDEEM.
Traps to watch out for
Follow these tips to avoid common mistakes when using Google Play cards to earn points through supermarket deals:
- You can't buy multiple cards for extra points. The fine print for these deals always specifies that you can't score more than one lot of bonus points per household. That means there's no point buying more than one card at a time.
- Your gift card buys won't earn extra Flybuys or Everyday Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points when you buy them. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points for the actual cost of the card. Remember that if you're also trying to earn a bonus for spending a certain amount at the supermarket each week.
- Scan your loyalty card. If you don't scan prior to payment, you won't get the bonus points (and you can't retroactively add your loyalty card to purchases).
- Self-serve checkouts may be a hassle. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can in Coles, but a staff member will still have to authorise your purchase. Save the stress and head for an express checkout instead.
- Remember to convert your points. For Everyday Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points, all your points will be automatically converted and added to your Qantas account. However, with Flybuys, you have to log in and convert your points to Velocity (you can only do this in multiples of 2,000 Flybuys points).
- Your points may not appear immediately. Hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points appear on your statement.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEIf you regularly make purchases through Google Play, this can be a useful way of scoring some more bonus points. If you use an iPhone rather than an Android device, though, it's unlikely to be tempting.
Picture: TY Lim/Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Citi Rewards Card – Points & Gift Card Offer
Enjoy an introductory 90,000 bonus Citi reward Points, a $100 Coles eGift card, plus a reduced first-year annual fee with this Citi Rewards Card offer.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
The ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a competitive rewards program, $0 annual fee for the first year, a $500 gift card, a balance transfer offer and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Why bottle shops are the new points battleground
Woolworths and Coles are holding back bonuses, but their liquor outlets aren't.
Diners Club Business Card
The Diners Club Business Card can be used to earn points per $1 with over 35 million merchants – including Officeworks, Qantas and Woolworths.
Frequent Flyer Diners Club card
Diners Club isn’t as widely accepted as other cards, but you can still earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 at major retailers with this card.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert