Compare the latest and biggest bonus points deals.
How to earn frequent flyer points with Google Play gift cards
Earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points when you buy games, apps, music and movies.
Coles is offering 2,000 flybuys points on purchases of $50 Google Play gift cards, which converts to 870 Velocity Points. The offer runs from 11 December to 17 December 2019, and you can only score one lot of bonus points per household.
Big W also has a Google Play points offer running from 12 December to 18 December 2019. A $20 card scores 400 Woolworths Rewards Points (effectively 200 Qantas Points), a $30 card gets 600 (300 Qantas Points), and a $50 card gets 1,000 (500 Qantas Points).
Keep reading for our full guide on Google Play gift card offers.
Android is Australia's most popular choice of smartphone, and the Google Play store is where Android owners can buy apps, games, music and movies. If you're regularly making use of the Play Store and you also want to build up your frequent flyer points total, then deals on Google Play gift cards can be handy.
Coles' flybuys and Woolworths' Woolworths Rewards both regularly offer bonus point bundles with Google Play gift cards. Most often, you'll see either 1,000 or 2,000 bonus points when you buy a card. Given that regular supermarket shopping only earns 1 point per $1 spent, that's a large bonus.
So buying gift cards can be a useful top-up. As with any frequent flyer deal, it doesn't make sense to purchase a card purely for the points. If you're not going to use the credit (or give the card as an actual gift), then save your money for another time.
Follow these instructions to add the gift card credit to your Google Play account:
- Open Google Play on your phone.
- Choose Account from the main menu.
- Choose Payment methods.
- Choose Redeem code.
- Enter the code from the back of the card and tap REDEEM.
Traps to watch out for
Follow these tips to avoid common mistakes when using Google Play cards to earn points through supermarket deals:
- You can't buy multiple cards for extra points. The fine print for these deals always specifies that you can't score more than one lot of bonus points per household. That means there's no point buying more than one card at a time.
- Your gift card buys won't earn extra flybuys or Woolworths Rewards points. Gift cards don't earn supermarket reward points when you buy them. You'll score the bonus points if there's an active offer, but you won't earn points for the actual cost of the card. Remember that if you're also trying to earn a bonus for spending a certain amount at the supermarket each week.
- Scan your loyalty card. If you don't scan prior to payment, you won't get the bonus points (and you can't retroactively add your loyalty card to purchases).
- Self-serve checkouts may be a hassle. In Woolworths, you can't buy gift cards at a self-serve checkout. You can in Coles, but a staff member will still have to authorise your purchase. Save the stress and head for an express checkout instead.
- Remember to convert your points. For Woolworths Rewards, if you opt in to earn Qantas points, all your points will be automatically converted and added to your Qantas account. However, with flybuys, you have to log in and convert your points to Velocity (you can only do this in multiples of 2,000 flybuys points).
- Your points may not appear immediately. Hang onto your receipt until you've seen the points appear on your statement.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKEIf you regularly make purchases through Google Play, this can be a useful way of scoring some more bonus points. If you use an iPhone rather than an Android device, though, it's unlikely to be tempting.
- Qantas selects Airbus’ A350-1000 for lengthy Project Sunrise flights
- Qantas oneworld Classic Flight Rewards: How to book the ultimate round-the-world reward flight
- Yay! Cathay Pacific Asia Miles don’t expire so fast anymore
- Qantas set to launch new flights from regional Victoria in 2020
- Best frequent flyer and rewards credit cards December 2019
Picture: TY Lim/Shutterstock
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert