Drive with Uber
Uber car rental Australia
Drive an Uber in Australia even if you don't own a car.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Uber car rental companies in Australia have Uber-ready vehicles, which will give you a way to drive and start earning right away.
This is a great option if you don't own a car or don't want to use your own car to prevent its wear and tear.
Compare Uber car rentals in Australia below and see their features, which cars are available, and the costs.
Where can I hire a car for uber?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How does it all work?
You can get a long-term rental from many standard hire car providers, but it’s worth considering some of the newer and more specialised providers that focus almost exclusively on renting cars to Uber drivers. Traditional hire cars are meant to be one size fits all, but Uber car rental providers are focused on helping you maximise your earnings.
With the specialised providers, you get a hire car which is Uber-ready (meets Uber’s requirements) that you can use to drive with Uber as well as for personal use. You have a wide range of vehicles to choose from, they comes with full insurance and you can even nominate other drivers.
Want to start driving with Uber?
What features are available?
- Insurance for business driving. Uber car rentals come insured for business use.
- Fuel efficient. The more fuel efficient a car is, the more its driver can earn.
- No lock-in contracts. You can usually select a term from as little as two weeks to longer, and you just have to give notice to end your contract. Flexibility is one of the advantages of being an Uber driver, and your rental contract doesn’t take that away.
- Referral bonuses. If you know others who are thinking of signing up, getting in early can earn you considerable referral bonuses.
- Higher-end cars. Larger and higher-end cars give you more space for luggage, more room to carry families on lucrative airport runs and are more suitable for your needs as a professional driver. It also helps in getting higher ratings. As an added bonus, you also get a nicer car to drive around when you’re not on the clock for Uber.
- Time and money savings. Any car you hire from an appropriate specialist provider will be suitable for Uber driving, and everything you need is streamlined as much as possible.
- Professional customer and ratings support. Newer providers such as Splend will assign you a dedicated service representative to provide professional assistance to you as a driver and help you earn higher ratings.
What should I look for?
When comparing individual providers, look at how the various options will affect your earnings.
- Membership fees. How much will you be paying?
- Minimum and maximum rental periods. Make sure you are able to access a hire period that works for you. You may be able to find more cost effective, long-terms rentals with Uber rental specialists.
- Types of cars available. What kind of driver will you be? You can opt for an UberX rental, an UberBLACK or an UberLUX vehicle. It can be worth finding a car to match your needs.
- Rent to own options. If your goal is to drive away with full ownership by paying for your car from proceeds made through Uber, rent-to-own options from specialists can be a new way of buying.
- Weekly price. Look at how much it will cost per week to determine how much you will need to earn. Bear in mind that this isn’t the complete picture and some providers will offer considerable advantages over others. Consider insurance, professional assistance and other benefits as well as the cost.
- Kilometre limits. Some rideshare car rental agreements may stipulate a maximum number of kilometres you can drive per week. Once you reach this limit, you may need to pay more per kilometre.
What cars are available through Uber rentals?
These specialist providers understand Uber’s requirements for vehicles. This means you don’t have to spend time deciding between options which may not necessarily be suitable for you.
- Small cars, five-seaters, SUVs and high-end luxury models are all available from different providers.
- Choose rent-to-own plans for some of the latest cars on the market and get a high-end vehicle for both professional and private use.
- Access hybrids, electric vehicles and other fuel-efficient vehicles to spend less money on petrol and put more in the bank.
What companies offer rideshare rentals?
There are only a handful of rideshare specialists operating in Australia as well as many standard rental companies. Each rental specialist has their own tailored rental agreements.
- Splend: A premier Australian provider focused on giving you the options you need, and helping you maximise your earnings as an Uber driver.
- Europcar: This established rental car provider now lets you rent an Uber-ready vehicle for personal and private use.
- Thrifty: Thrifty aims to get you on the road within three days of applying and offers it Premium Protection Cover as standard.
- Atlas: Choose from a wide range of cars when you opt for Atlas, with options available from $180 per week.
- Rent2Drive: This rental company offers both new and used cars as well as Rent2Own options to help you drive with Uber.
- UCar: Enjoy no signup fee and instant approval without a credit check when you opt for UCar.
- DriveMyCar: This platform lets you rent another person's vehicle for a daily fee, with rental periods ranging from 7 days to 1 year.
- Keyz: Competitive prices and flexible, short contract periods can make Keyz a suitable general purpose choice.
- Stride: Unlimited distances and inclusive maintenance and service packages make Stride the right choice for those who plan on covering a lot of ground or live in more isolated areas.
- Ridelender: Clear terms and a three-year rent-to-own agreement, decreasing in price over time, make Ridelender worth considering if you eventually want a new car.
How much does it cost?
|Rental Company||From price per week||Other fees||Find out more|
|Splend||$269||$275 joining fee||Splend Review|
|Thrifty||$246||$200 deposit and one-week advance payment required||Thrifty Review|
|RideLender||$350-$350||$650 insurance excess bond||RideLender Review|
|Rent2Drive||$350-$350||$650 insurance excess bond (paid over 13 weeks)||Rent2Drive Review|
|Krooz||$250||Excess deducted over 13 weeks||Krooz review|
|UCAR||$231||$500 insurance excess bond (paid over 10 weeks)||UCAR Review|
|DriveMyCar||$160||$0 annual fee $300 deposit||DriveMyCar Review|
|Raceway Motorcycles||$169||$1,000 deposit||Raceway Motorcycles Review|
Compare Uber hire car agreements in your area
Find Uber car rental specialists in your area:
More guides on Finder
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
Best electric bikes for Uber Eats
Looking for an e-bike to help power your Uber Eats deliveries? Here’s how to find the right bike for your needs.
St.George Vehicle and Equipment Finance
Looking to purchase new equipment for your business? Find out how you could benefit from a vehicle and equipment loan from St.George. Compare and apply today.
DiDi vs Uber: Comparison for drivers
Find out how ridesharing app DiDi compares to Uber for drivers in this guide.
DiDi Driver Guide: Sydney
If you're looking to start driving with DiDi in Sydney, you'll need to meet certain requirements. Find out everything you need to know in this guide.
DiDi car rentals
Find out more about how you can be a driver with DiDi, even if you don't own your own car. Rent a car and start making money using the ridesharing platform.
Jaguar Australia partners with Carbar to offer luxury car subscription service
Customers can drive away in a brand-new F-PACE AWD today with a flexible, no-contract subscription to Jaguar Land Rover via Carbar.
Owning a car vs Uber vs GoGet 2019
Which transport option is cheaper? It depends on how often you drive.
Points Finder Reward Deals: Avis, Virgin Australia, ANZ and American Express
Score bonus points renting vehicles, booking flights, taking out home loans and using your credit card.
Car brokers Australia
If you're looking to buy a vehicle, a car broker can help find the one that's right for you and guide you through the entire process.
Ask an Expert