Solar panel quotes Adelaide
Save money on your home's energy use and become eco-friendly with a solar panel system.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Australia's goal is to reach 50% renewable energy use by 2030, and residents of Adelaide are already embracing this. About 1 in 3 homes in South Australia already have solar power, and 9% of the entire state's electricity was generated by solar in 2016-17. With ample sunshine, the use of solar energy in the area is a great way to save on your home's energy bill while being eco-friendly.
What's in this guide?
- Are solar panels a good idea in Adelaide?
- What return can you get from solar panels in Adelaide?
- What's the process for installing solar panels?
- How much do solar panels cost to install in Adelaide?
- How much electricity does my home need?
- Do I need approval to install and connect solar panels in Adelaide?
- How to get a solar panel quote in Adelaide
- How to compare solar panel installers
- Compare solar panel installers online
- What solar incentives are available in Adelaide?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Are solar panels a good idea in Adelaide?
Adelaide has high sunlight exposure which makes it great for solar panels. During June, the city experiences about four hours of sunlight per day and in January around ten hours, with the average sunlight each day according to the Bureau of Meteorology being around seven hours.
What return can you get from solar panels in Adelaide?
A standard 5 kW solar system in Adelaide provides 18.2 kWh of power per day. A 10 kW solar system offers 36.3 kWh. These return figures are based on a solar system that has been mounted on a north-facing roof at an optimum 30-degree angle, according to Solar Choice.
The addition of a standard 5 kW solar system to your home can save you around $400 per kW per year. An 8 kW solar system will provide you with savings of around $3,400 per year on your energy bill, according to Solaray Energy.
What's the process for installing solar panels?
No matter where you live in Australia, the process of installing solar panels is mostly the same. Solar installers in Adelaide will have their unique style but they will follow the same standard steps for installing the panels on your home with only a few variations:
- A detailed site and roof assessment are carried out by the solar company. They will take measurements of the roof and look at the home's structural integrity to make sure that the roof can support the weight of the solar panels and extensive racking system. Readings are also collected to check the roof's sun and shade exposure. Typically, they will try to install the solar system on the north-facing roof for best sun exposure.
- The solar company will complete all the necessary paperwork and obtain the needed permits to carry out the work.
- The solar panels, racking system, inverter and other necessary components are ordered.
- The installers prep the roof, install the racking system, hook up the inverter and all electrical wiring to start the conversion of the direct current (DC) energy from the panels to alternating current (AC) energy for your home's use.
- Final inspections are carried out.
How much do solar panels cost to install in Adelaide?
The cost to install a standard 5kW system at a 30-degree angle on a north-facing roof average $6,000 in Adelaide according to Hipages. A larger 10kW system can cost about $10,275 according to Solar Calculator.
Solar Run is a solar retailer who can help you install solar on your rooftop.
- Get quotes for solar panels and battery storage
- Clean Energy Council approved retailer
- NSW, VIC, SA, QLD and ACT
Note: Solar service from this broker is not available in the Northern Territory, Tasmania and Western Australia.
How much electricity does my home need?
Determining how much electricity your home needs is simple. Look at your home's energy bill to see how much electricity your family uses in a month or year. You can also take the time to read your home's electric meter to determine the electrical use of the residence. Certain retailers also offer handy web portals where you can peruse your consumption rate online. Typically, the larger the household, the greater the rate of electrical consumption. A family of four is going to use far more electricity than a single person.
You can also use an online energy calculator to see how much electricity each appliance in your home uses. Certain appliances are notorious for using more electricity than others.
Do I need approval to install and connect solar panels in Adelaide?
Solar panels in Adelaide are quite common. There are a variety of solar installers in the area that can quickly meet the needs of the locals for installation. The installer will complete what is known as a SA Power networks Small Embedded Generator Request Form to gain approval to start the installation process. A system that is under 5kW usually obtains immediate approval, but bigger units can take up to five days to gain approval.
In Adelaide, you generally do not need council approval to install solar panels unless your home is a heritage house or located in a heritage neighbourhood.
How to get a solar panel quote in Adelaide
If you are shopping for solar panel installers in Adelaide, then you can start your search online. Before you ask for a quote, you should have some information handy, including:
- What type and size system you want
- The age of your property
- The condition and materials your roof is made from
- When you want to proceed with the installation
Once you have this information you can start requesting quotes and comparing them. To find qualified installers, you can visit websites like Solar Quotes and Solar Choice, which provide solar quotes from local companies quickly. You simply enter the address where you plan to have the panels installed to obtain a free quote.
You can also find installers and read online reviews on online marketplaces such as Airtasker or Oneflare. Check out our guide about what information you'll need to obtain a solar panel quote.
How to compare solar panel installers
Here are a few tips to help you compare solar panel installers in Adelaide:
- Look for CEC accreditation. Only hire a Clean Energy Council (CEC) accredited installer to handle the installation of your solar panels on your home's roof. The Clean Energy Council (CEC) has been put in place by the government of Australia to represent the various counties within the clean energy sector. Both the installers and the systems should always have CEC accreditation which shows that they adhere to all quality standards. You will see the accreditation displayed on their website.
- How long has the business been operating? Always check to see how long the company has been serving the community. A company with longevity which is firmly established shows dependability and stability.
- How experienced are the installers? Ask questions about the company's experience level, including the installers that will likely be working at your home.
- Customer reviews. Check the reputation of the company online to make sure they have good reviews on Google and Facebook.
What solar incentives are available in Adelaide?
Cheaper electricity bills and potential feed-in tariffs for supplying unused electricity back into the grid are two of the main incentives for installing solar, but there are others too.
Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme
Solar rebates in the form of Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) are available when installing an eligible solar system in your home. You'll receive a number of STCs according to how large your system is and where the property is, and these can then be used to offset the cost of the installation. According to Solar Calculator you can save between $2,500 – $3,300 on a typical 5kW system installation.
Keep in mind there are eligibility criteria, including your installer being CEC-accredited.
City of Adelaide Sustainability Incentives Scheme
Properties in the City of Adelaide arecan also qualify for some rebates.
Landlords in Adelaide qualify for a 50 cent rebate for every watt of capacity installed up to $1,000. Concession Card holders can also receive the same 50 cent rebate.
If you install solar panels to power an apartment building's common area, then you can receive a $1 per watt of capacity installed up to $5,000 or 33% of your out of pocket expense in the system.
The Home Battery Scheme
The South Australian Government also offers a subsidy for South Australians installing batteries in their home. It offers $200 per kWh or $300 per kWh for energy concession holders up to a maximum of $3,000.
Adelaide is a place that continues to embrace solar energy. If you're ready to make the decision and join the 1 in 3 homes already generating solar power, be sure to obtain a number of quotes and compare them to get the best deal.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to buy the panels myself?
Your installer will supply the necessary solar panels, inverter, and racking system for installation.
Can I install solar panels myself?
Solar panel installation is not a safe or easy DIY project. Also, if you want to receive any incentives or rebates then the panels must be professionally installed.
Is it harder to sell a house with solar panels?
No. Many houses in Australia have solar panels, and they can even raise the value of a home due to the lower electricity bills.
How long do solar panels last in Australia?
Solar panels can last around 25 years in Australia, although panels will be less effective as they age.
What angle and what direction should my solar panels be installed at?
Ideally, solar panels should be installed at a 30-degree angle on a north-facing roof in Adelaide.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Solar air conditioners
Considering switching from regular air conditioners to solar air conditioners? Find out how.
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Upcoming hybrid and electric car comparison
Compare soon-to-launch electric and hybrid cars.
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or four-wheel driving, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Solar panel quotes Brisbane
Joining the solar panel revolution starts with a simple quote.
Solar panels quote Darwin
Find and compare quotes from reputable companies in Darwin.
How to start a solar panel installation business
Become part of the drive towards sustainability by launching a profitable solar company.
Air conditioning cost guide
Australians set their air conditioners somewhere in the low-mid 20s for the summer, but is this ideal?
Best tablets for kids in Australia
These are the best tablets for kids you can buy right now in Australia.
Lower your household bills
Compare internet from over 50 providers in our broadband engine.
Check out our select picks of the best plans available.
Mobile broadband is fast becoming a viable alternative to fixed line.
Ask an Expert