Looking for a way to send money to family, friends or a business in Macau (or even to your own bank account overseas)? According to MoneySmart, you should avoid Australian banks and go with a money transfer specialist to get better MOP exchange rates and lower fees on international transfers.
Based on the providers we've compared, Remitly is among the cheapest, with competitive exchange rates and fees starting from $0. Need a really fast transfer? CurrencyFair can get money to your recipient in Macau within minutes.
Best ways to send money to Macau from AustraliaThe best way to send money to Macau depends on your payment method, how you want your money to be received and how fast you need it to arrive.
- Online money transfer provider. When buying Australian dollars or Macanese patacas money transfer specialists typically offer better rates and cheaper fees than a local bank.
- Bank transfer. Bank transfers are an easy way to send money to Macau but they charge extra for the convenience and are often slower than other methods. AU banks generally add a 3% to 6% markup onto exchange rates.
- Cash pickup. If you need your money to arrive fast, cash pickup gives your recipient instant access to the money you've sent when they collect it from their agent location in Macau.
- Mobile wallet. Essentially an electronic wallet service, mobile wallets allow users to store, send and receive eligible currencies using their phone, often with fees attached.
- Home delivery. If your recipient may struggle to get to a cash pickup location, you may be able to opt for door-to-door cash delivery.
Compare the best money transfer companies to send money to Macau
Cheapest way to send money to Macau
As reported by the ACCC, bank transfers are typically the cheapest way to get your money to Macau. Remitly and CurrencyFair have some of the lowest bank transfer fees of the brands we've compared.Remember, it's more important to look at the overall cost of your transfer to Macau and this has a couple of elements:
- Transfer fees. While still cheaper than your Australian bank, money transfer services charge either a fixed or percentage-based fee for making your transfer.
- Exchange rates. Another way money transfer providers make money is to add a margin to the mid-market AUD/MOP exchange rate.
Certain providers may give the mid-market rate but add fees on top and others will have low fees but apply a markup on the exchange rate. This means it is important to compare exactly how many Macanese patacas your recipient will end up with.
Fastest way to send money to Macau
Actual transfer times from Australia to Macau can depend on several factors including transfer amount, payment method and currency.Here are some of the fastest average transfer speeds to Macau:
- Remitly — within minutes
- CurrencyFair — within minutes
Safest way to send money to Macau
The safest way to get your money to Macau is using a provider registered with Australia's industry regulator, the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC). All of the companies we've compared in our table are overseen by a local regulator and comply with the relevant laws and regulations in both Australia and Macau.
A great way to dive deeper is by reading our reviews of each transfer service and researching first-hand customer feedback on Trustpilot and similar platforms.
Large money transfers to Macau
If you need to make a sizable money transfer to Macau, consider using a provider such as to secure a better MOP exchange rate and benefit from its expertise handling larger transactions.Using a large transfer specialist can have the following advantages:
- Tax guidance. Large transfers to Macau may have tax implications for you or your recipient. A transfer specialist can help get you up to speed on the Australian Taxation Office's latest advice.
- Foreign exchange tools. Advanced tools such as forward contracts, limit orders and stop-loss orders can help you lock in the MOP exchange rate you want.
- Account manager. Some money transfer providers assign a personal account manager who can offer advice and help facilitate transfers.
- Phone service. If you want to talk your transfer through with someone, providers such as Remitly and CurrencyFair can provide support over the phone.
How to send money to Macau from Australia
To send money to Macau, you'll need the necessary documentation, your recipient's details and a way to pay.
- Compare your options.
Use our table to find a money transfer provider that sends funds to Macau. One may be better for cash pickups while another may suit a bank transfer. Once you've found the best one for your requirements, click "Go to site".
- Create an account.
You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide your recipient's details.
Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their Macanese bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter your transfer amount.
Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Double-check the total Macanese patacas your recipient gets.
- Complete your transfer.
Send your money transfer to Macau. Keep your transaction reference number safe so you can track your transfer. Your recipient may need it too.
How to choose a money transfer company for Macau
When selecting a provider to transfer money to Macau, here are the main factors to consider:
- Exchange rates. Banks and transfer services use the mid-market rate to trade with one another. However, not every money transfer provider offers the mid-market rate so compare the MOP you're offered to the mid-market rate to calculate the margin.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of the transfer amount? A provider offering to transfer your money to Macau for a flat or low fee might work out better if you're sending a large amount.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a Macanese bank account or is cash pickup a better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for an express delivery. Companies such as Remitly offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services offer the best value.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service. For example, Remitly has a transfer limit of $2,999 while CurrencyFair allows transfers up to $10,000,000.
- Discounts. Providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up. Others may give a discount for transferring more than a specific amount of Macanese patacas.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Find the best way to transfer money to the USA
Need to transfer AUD to USA? Learn how to pick the right service to send your money to USA.
Top ways to send money to India
Want to send AUD to India? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Can I send money to someone in Iran?
Learn about sanctions against Iran and what that means for sending money to someone within the country.
Find the best way to send money to North Macedonia
Looking for the best way to send money from Australia to Macedonia? Services, rates, and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Israel
Want to send AUD to Israel? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Canada
Transferring CAN is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Australia to Canada.
Send money to Bangladesh
Want to send AUD to Bangladesh? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to the UK
Sending money to United Kingdom (UK) from Australia? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Find the best way to send money to New Zealand
Transferring NZL is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Australia to New Zealand.
Find the best way to send money to the Philippines
Want to send AUD to Philippines? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Ask an Expert