PayPal international money transfers
Did you know that you can use PayPal to transfer money overseas quickly and easily? We show you how.
PayPal is a well-known, digital payments company. Owned by eBay Inc., PayPal offers a fast and safe way to send money online.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
|Product Name||PayPal International Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||AUD 1|
|Max. Transfer Amount||AUD 60,000|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Bank Account to Bank Account|
Minimum transfer time
|Available Currencies||AUD, BRL, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HUF, ILS, JPY, MXN, MYR, NOK, NZD, PHP, PLN, RUB, SEK, SGD, THB, TWD, USD|
|Online Transfer Fee||AUD 5.99|
What's in this guide?
What is PayPal?
PayPal is a digital payment system that can be used by both individuals and businesses to send and receive payments through the internet without having to share personal data. Although PayPal has long been associated as being the primary payment system for eBay, PayPal has since separated itself and expanded to offer global services that include money transfers, international payments and more.
How does PayPal work?
PayPal works similar to a bank account, in that it allows you to send, receive and store money digitally. PayPal integrates with many online merchants to make shopping online more seamless and private, and users can see a full history of transactions in their PayPal account history. Overall, PayPal can be used in a lot of the same places you'd shop with a credit or debit card.
Why should I consider PayPal?
- Fast transfers to other PayPal users. Transfers direct from one PayPal account to another are almost always instant.
- Security. PayPal monitors all transactions for fraud, uses industry-standard encryption and has many dispute resolution options. Additionally, AI systems add to PayPal's resiliency against fraudulent transactions.
- Worldwide network. PayPal is available in more than 200 countries around the world, but you'll be limited to the 20+ currencies that PayPal supports.
- Free domestic transfers. When sending domestically from one PayPal balance to another your transaction will be free if you send through the "Friends and Family" option.
What should I be aware of with PayPal?
- Expensive international transfers. You face a layer of fees that vary by method, amount and country. Many transfers to recipients outside Australia come with fees based on your transfer amount in addition to a flat fee in the currency you're transferring to.
- Weak exchange rates. When sending money to foreign currencies you'll be forced to accept an exchange rate below the mid-market rate.
- Fees when using credit and debit cards. Expect yet more fees if your plan to fund your transaction with plastic, rather than your PayPal account or a linked bank account.
- Extra steps when receiving money. When someone pays you on PayPal you have to manually go into your account and request a bank payout — further increasing the time it takes for that money to hit your bank account.
PayPal's exchange rates and fees explained
PayPal international transfer fees depend on where you're sending money to, how you're sending it and how you plan to fund it. For international deliveries you face layers of fees that include flat rates and percentages of your transaction amount. PayPal does not have any hidden fees, but its fee structure is complex to say the least. When using PayPal, pay close attention to fees and exchange rates to avoid feeling like hidden fees snuck up on you.
PayPal fees in AUD
The following fees apply when sending money to friends and family.
|Funding method||Destination country||Fees|
|PayPal balance or linked bank account||Australia||$0|
|Credit card or debit card||Australia||2.6% of transaction amount + $0.30|
|PayPal balance or linked bank account||Any other country||5% of the transaction ($0.99 minimum, $5.99 maximum)|
|Credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit||Any other country||5% of the transaction ($0.99 minimum, $5.99 maximum) + 2.6% of the transaction amount paid using a credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit + a fixed fee based on currency|
PayPal goods and services selling fees
When selling goods and services through PayPal, these are the fees you'll have to pay based on what country the PayPal account of the person buying from you comes from and what type of transaction it is.
|Sale occurs:||Buyer's PayPal account is from:||Fee|
|PayPal Wallet online and invoicing transactions||In Australia||2.6% of the transaction amount + a fixed fee based on the currency.|
|PayPal Wallet online and invoicing transactions||Outside of Australia||3.6% of the transaction amount + a fixed fee based on the currency.|
|Direct card transactions and other payment methods||In Australia||1.75% of the transaction amount a fixed fee based on the currency.|
|Direct card transactions and other payment methods||Outside of the US||3.6% of the transaction amount a fixed fee based on the currency.|
|Virtual terminal||In Australia||3.6% of the transaction amount a fixed fee based on the currency.|
|Virtual terminal||Outside of Australia||4.6% of the transaction amount a fixed fee based on the currency.|
Fixed fee based on currency
|Australian dollar||0.30 AUD|
|Brazilian real||0.60 BRL|
|Canadian dollar||0.30 CAD|
|Czech koruna||10 CZK|
|Danish krone||2.60 DKK|
|Hong Kong dollar||2.35 HKD|
|Hungarian forint||90 HUF|
|Israeli shekel||1.20 ILS|
|Japanese yen||40 JPY|
|Malaysian ringgit||2.00 MYR|
|Mexican peso||4.00 MXN|
|New Zealand dollar||0.45 NZD|
|Norwegian krone||2.80 NOK|
|Philippine peso||15 PHP|
|Polish zloty||1.35 PLN|
|Russian ruble||10 RUB|
|Singapore dollar||0.50 SGD|
|Swedish krona||3.25 SEK|
|Swiss franc||0.55 CHF|
|Taiwan new dollar||10 TWD|
|Thai baht||11 THB|
|UK pounds sterling||0.20 GBP|
|US dollar||0.30 USD|
PayPal's exchange rates
If a transaction requires currency conversion, it will be done automatically and at a fee of 3% or 4% of the total transaction amount, in the form of above mid-market exchange rates.
Converting currencies within your own account will incur a 3% conversion fee, while all other transactions that involve currency conversion, including sending money and making purchases, will be done at 4% above mid-market rates.
Compare PayPal to other money transfer services
Most other services that send money overseas will be able to offer you a better exchange rate than PayPal. Check out the table below to see what your transfer could look like with another company.
Want to compare PayPal with other services side-by-side?
- Paypal vs Australian banks
- MoneyGram vs Western Union vs Paypal
- Transferwise vs. PayPal
- Western Union vs. PayPal
- WorldFirst vs Paypal
How to use PayPal
One of the most popular uses for PayPal is to send and receive money online. Whether you're sending this money to businesses or friends, the process is similar. In general you'll have to create your account, add money to it and then choose who to send it money to. Here are the steps:
Making a PayPal account
Creating a PayPal account can be done for free and with little verification needed. To begin, follow these steps:
- Visit PayPal's website and click Sign Up for Free.
- Next, you'll be prompted to choose between a Personal Account and a Business Account. Chances are you want a personal account — if you're signing up your business account, head on over to our PayPal for Business page for more information.
- Enter your name, email and a password then click Next.
- You'll then be asked for your address and phone number — these help PayPal confirm you're a real person.
- Now you're ready to add money to your PayPal account.
Once your account is created you can start receiving money right away, but you'll have to add a payment method and bank account if you want to withdraw funds.
Adding money to PayPal
You don't need to add money to your PayPal account to use it. Instead, you can simply link a bank account or card. But if you do want to add money to your PayPal wallet:
- Visit PayPal's website and login.
- Click Wallet at the top of the screen.
- Click Transfer Money, and then select Add money to your balance, which is under Money in.
- Choose your preferred bank account, enter the amount to transfer and click Add.
Transfers into your PayPal balance typically take 3-5 business days and incur no PayPal fees. However, it is always worth double checking with your bank account beforehand to make sure your bank won't charge any fees.
How to send money through PayPal
Money can be sent both domestically and internationally with PayPal. Different fees may apply depending on who you are transferring to, the purpose of the transfer and what country they live in. In general, to send a domestic PayPal transfer:
- Log in to your account and click Send & Request.
- Enter your recipient's phone number or email address, the amount you want to send and a description of the transfer.
- Review the total cost for your transaction, including transfer fees, your payment method and possible fees depending on transfer destination and speed.
- Click Send Payment Now if you're ready to transfer your funds.
How to receive money on PayPal
Money can be sent to your PayPal account through your connected email address or mobile number, so be sure you provide the person paying you with the correct information. Once they've paid you, PayPal will send you an email, a text message or both to let you know there is money in your account.
You can spend money directly from your PayPal account, or make a withdrawal from your PayPal account to your bank account.
To transfer to your bank account, click the Transfer to your bank button after you accept the money.
Is PayPal safe?
PayPal takes many measures to keep your money and transactions safe and secure, but how you use PayPal still factors into whether or not it is safe for you to use. PayPal helps keep you and your money safe by:
- Protecting your sensitive information. PayPal doesn't share your full financial information with sellers, which may help protect you from identity theft.
- Monitoring transactions 24/7. Both humans and algorithms monitor PayPal transactions to spot fraud.
- Encrypting your data. PayPal uses bank-level encryption, including SSL 3.0 with an encryption key length of 168 bits.
- Offering fraud prevention. PayPal will never contact you asking for sensitive information by email or telephone — always contact PayPal if anything about your account history seems suspicious.
- Providing dispute resolution. PayPal will help resolve disputes between buyers and sellers when PayPal is used as the payment method.
What PayPal reviews look like
Reviews accurate as of May 11, 2020.
|Trustpilot score||1 out of 5, based on 9,985 customer reviews|
|BBB rating||A, with 10,765 complaints in the last 3 years|
|PCMag.com||4 out of 5, staff reviewed|
PayPal is a massive global company that has millions of daily users. When investigating the negative reviews on Trustpilot we saw a trend of customers complaints focused on poor customer service and extremely long wait times on both phone and chat support. To avoid some of these issues, always be sure to read existing reviews on a buyer before making a purchase. Also, thoroughly read PayPal's buyer protection fine print to fully understand what is and isn't covered before relying on it to guarantee you a refund. Many of the scams that people face on PayPal common money transfer scams, so read up on our list of common scams and how to avoid them to save yourself time and stress.
Is there a PayPal app?
- Send money to loved ones. Send money within Australia using your PayPal balance or bank account for free.
- Log in using biometrics. Both face and fingerprint recognition can be used to log in.
- Send money around the world. Send money internationally through PayPal.
PayPal app reviews
|Reviews accurate as of May 11, 2020|
|Google Play Store||4.4 out of 5, based on 1,347,478 customer reviews|
|Apple App Store||4.8 out of 5, based on 3,324,851 customer reviews|
PayPal is a strong solution for fee-free direct domestic transfers to other PayPal accounts. But international transfers come with a complicated fee structure you're likely better off avoiding with a money transfer specialist offering lower fees and stronger rates — especially on large transfers.
Looking for an alternative? Compare services like PayPal to get the best rates and fees.
Frequently asked questions
Where can I use PayPal?
How long do PayPal transfers take?
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.