Vodafone prepaid plans offer a focus on flexibility, including plans where you can build your own inclusions.
What Prepaid services does Vodafone Mobile offer?
Mobile network brand Vodafone provides prepaid SIM-only services on its own 4G and 3G networks across Australia. It also sells a limited and frequently changing range of prepaid handsets on outright terms; these are nearly always quite low-end budget-centric models.
Vodafone prepaid offerings include its Combo plans, which come with a variety of higher-end inclusions, Pay As You Go Plus plans, which work on set call, text and data values over a long period of time and its MyMix plans.
MyMix plans allow you to set variables including calls (both national and international), data and expiry periods to come up with a final plan cost. There’s quite a bit of variance in the MyMix plan offerings, which are designed to meet multiple different consumer needs.
How much does Vodafone Mobile cost?
Vodafone prepaid combo deals sell for $30-$50 as a starter pack, with recharges that then range from $10-$60. Every tier includes standard national calls and texts as standard, but the lower tiers of recharges expire at faster rates, down to as little as 7 days for the $10 recharge. At the top level, Combo deals expire after 28 days.
Starter packs for Vodafone’s Pay As You Go Plus plans are offered for between $30 to $50, while recharges cost $10 to $50. Expiry for all recharges and starter packs is 365 days. Calls are charged at 20c per minute. That’s the same price you’ll pay for a text, while data will cost you 2c per MB.
Pricing for Vodafone’s prepaid MyMix plans is highly variable depending on your choice of calls, data and expiry options. Plans on MyMix start at $8 with short expiry all the way up to a $110 offering with all the extras and 90 days expiry.
What extras does Vodafone Mobile offer?
In the prepaid space Vodafone doesn’t lay on all that many extras, which isn’t entirely surprising given that the core appeal of a prepaid plan is budget certainty rather than additional enticements.
Its combo plans do include quantities of calling minutes to selected International destinations, with higher value recharges including unlimited calls to a small selection of countries.
- International call inclusions. Not too many prepaid plans consider international calling, except perhaps to charge you extra for it.
- Long expiry options. All of Vodafone’s Pay As You Go Plus plans include 365 days expiry. 90 day expiry is available on MyMix plans if you need it.
- Smaller network. Vodafone’s done a lot of work on improving its network, but this is most notable in metropolitan areas. In regional spaces, it’s the smallest of the three competing networks.
- 28 day expiry on combo plans. It’s become more common on prepaid plans, but the difference between a 28 and 30 day recharge adds up to nearly an extra recharge every calendar year.
Vodafone prepaid recharge options
There’s a wide variety of ways to recharge your Vodafone prepaid mobile phone service depending on your personal preference. As with many prepaid plans it’s worth reading the terms and conditions to determine if there are advantages to recharging earlier than your expiry period in order to take advantage of any rollover bonuses, which may vary by plan.
- Recharge online: Vodafone has a dedicated web portal (https://myaccount.myvodafone.com.au/recharge/new) for managing prepaid recharges for your own phone, or any Vodafone prepaid phone number. Payments are accepted through Visa, Mastercard, American Express or PayPal.
- Via MyVodafone app: Vodafone provides a dedicated smartphone app for managing your prepaid use, including recharges. It’s available for free for iOS (download here), Android (download here) or Windows Phone devices(download here)
- Recharge via SMS: You can recharge your Vodafone prepaid service via text message, sending a specific keyword to enable an automatic recharge as long as you’ve already assigned a credit card to your account. Vodafone’s video takes you through the process:
- Via voucher: Recharge vouchers for Vodafone prepaid services are available from a wide variety of mass market retailers, as well as at any Vodafone store. Vouchers do have specific expiry dates, so it’s important to apply them at the right time otherwise you may find they have expired. Vouchers can be redeemed through Vodafone’s web portal or the MyVodafone app.
Follow us for all the latest mobile phone news and deals
Latest Vodafone news
With Australia's carriers announcing their iPhone 8 plans, we've delved into the details to find the ideal plan for every budget. Read more…
If you're keen on Apple's shiny new iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus in Australia, does it make more financial sense to opt for a contract, or buy the phone outright? Read more…
Whether you fancy Telstra, Optus, Vodafone or Virgin Mobile for your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 pre-order, we've got all the details you need. Read more…
Here's what you'll pay for Apple's new premium phone on Vodafone. Read more…
How do Australia's announced Galaxy Note 8 pre-sale plans compare? Read more…