How to send money to Uruguay
Find the best exchange rate and low fees when you send money to Uruguay from Australia.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Records show that immigrants from Uruguay first arrived to Australia in the 1960s, when the former was witnessing increased political turmoil and economic deterioration. Uruguay saw a significant rise in unemployment levels during the late 1960s and early 1970s. By 1973, around 400,000 people left Uruguay, some of whom found their way to Australian shores.
As per the 2006 Australian census, around 9,300 Australians were born in Uruguay. Around 6,500 claimed to be of Uruguayan descent.
Australia and Uruguay maintain trade relations. They also share an interest in fisheries within the Southern Ocean. Both nations are members of the Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources and the Cairns Group. Between 2007 and 2008, imports from Uruguay to Australia stood at $27 million. Exports to Uruguay during the same period valued at around $24 million.
Instances of transferring money to Uruguay from Australia are not uncommon. This guide takes you through the options you get and tells you how to pick one in accordance to your needs. Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Conditions apply.
Send money to Uruguay with WorldRemit
An online money transfer service with cash pick-up, bank account to bank account and airtime transfers available.
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Conditions apply.
What's in this guide?
- Best ways to send money to Uruguay
- Speak to a FX expert
- How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Uruguay?
- How do I send money to Uruguay from Australia?
- How do I receive money from Uruguay in Australia?
- Emergency cash transfers in Uruguay
- Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Uruguay
- Tips for picking up cash in Uruguay
- What are the steps to send money to Uruguay?
Best ways to send money to Uruguay
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Uruguay with an online money transfer provider.
Speak to a FX expert
Banks vs money transfer companies
Work got Lucia Rodriguez to Australia and she’s to remain here indefinitely. Her mother, younger sister and ailing grandmother continue living in Uruguay. Lucia has to keep sending money back home so her family can meet everyday expenses and pay for her grandmother’s treatment. She figures around $1,000 every month should suffice.
Lucia checked with her bank to see if she could use its services for the transfer. However, since the Uruguayan peso is an exotic currency, her bank did not transfer funds to Uruguay. She decided to compare money transfer companies using the Internet. This is what she found.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 = UYU21.6282||$1 = UYU21.0643|
|Amount received for $1,000||UYU20330.47||UYU21,064.30|
|Transfer time||1 day||1-2 days|
|Transfer options||Cash pickup||Bank account|
While the first money transfer company offered a better exchange rate than the second, the latter did not charge any fees for its services. This resulted in Lucia’s mother receiving more money through the second service provider. Besides, she was more than happy to transfer the money directly into her mother’s Uruguayan account. Going forward, Lucia decided to keep comparing her options every now and again.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Uruguay?
Don’t go with the first money transfer company that comes your way. Instead, compare your options across different aspects.
- The monetary aspect. The case study goes to show that a lower exchange rate does not necessarily mean you’re getting a better deal. Some money transfer companies that provide fee-free services may offer unfavourable exchange rates. The reverse can be true as well. To find out which deal is best, simply compare how much money the recipient stands to receive.
- Methods to send money. Banks that let their customers transfer funds to Uruguay can offer their services at branches, online and over the phone. Some money transfer companies have stores and kiosks that you can visit to send money. Some let you initiate the process over the phone as well. A number of these companies operate in the online world.
- Methods to receive money. The recipient can receive money directly into a Uruguayan bank account. Collecting transferred funds in person by visiting a cash pickup centre is also an option.
- Different methods. Are you looking at sending money to Uruguay on a regular basis? If so, you can find money transfer companies that let you make regular scheduled payments. Some even offer forward contracts and market orders.
- Using the same bank. If you and the recipient have accounts with the same bank, you can consider using its services for the transfer. This is because you could end up saving time as well as money.
- Turnaround time. When a funds transfer involves a cash pickup, it goes through almost immediately. When you’re transferring funds into a bank account, the time the process takes depends on the service provider you choose as well as the recipient’s bank.
- Minimum limit. If you’re planning to send a small sum, this aspect requires your attention. Some money transfer companies don’t let you send less than $500 or $1,000.
How do I send money to Uruguay from Australia?
You get to choose from different options when sending money to Uruguay from Australia.
- Banks. Find out if your bank lets you send money to Uruguay. If it does, you may be able to do so by visiting a branch, over the phone or online. If your account comes with a chequebook, you can write a cheque and send it to Uruguay via mail. You can also consider mailing a money order.
- Non-banks. Money transfer companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram have cash pickup centres at various locations in Uruguay. You can send money to any of these centres. You can use the services of PayPal to send money to Uruguay from Australia, provided both you and the recipient have PayPal accounts. You don’t have to pay any fees to open a new PayPal account.
How do I receive money from Uruguay in Australia?
If you’re to receive money from Uruguay in Australia, you get to choose from these options.
- Banks. If you can get the sender to transfer the money directly into your bank account, all you have to do is provide your bank account details. The sender can initiate the process through a bank or a money transfer company. You can also get the sender to mail you a bank-issued cheque or money order.
- Non-banks. Businesses such as Western Union and MoneyGram have a number of cash pickup centres across Australia. You can collect transferred money by visiting any of these centres. If you and the sender have PayPal accounts, you can use its services for the transfer. You can open a PayPal account for free.
Emergency cash transfers in Uruguay
What do you do if you end up losing your wallet when you’re in Uruguay? Start by making the necessary calls to report your debit and credit cards as stolen. Don’t forget to report the matter to the police as well. Next, you can think about getting some emergency money in different ways.
- Cash pickup. Getting a friend or a family member to send some money through a money transfer company can give you quick access to funds. Locate a convenient cash pickup centre and provide the details to the sender.
- Credit card cash advance. Existing American Express, Visa and Mastercard credit cardholders can get access to emergency money upon losing their cards. To get money this way, you’ll have to visit a local participating financial institution.
- Travel insurance. With the right kind of travel insurance, you can get emergency money to deal with a variety of situations such as lost and misplaced luggage, flight delays and cancellations as well as medical contingencies.
Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Uruguay
Western Union and MoneyGram have several cash pickup centres in Uruguay. If you’re going to collect cash from any of these centres, take an acceptable form of ID such as your passport or driver’s license with you. If the transfer involves a large sum, call the centre in advance to find out if it has enough money. Here are some cash pickup locations in Uruguay.
Agencia 04 02
Zonamerica Edificio Beta 3 Local 14
Punta De Manga, Montevideo
Open 24 hours
Agencia 19 26
Dr Aquiles Lanza 1281
Entre Soriano Y San Jose
Open 24 hours
Agencia 25 14
Artigas 798 Esq Larranaga
Open 24 hours
Indumex Servicios Financieros
Avda Batlle Y Ordonez 2265
Open 10am to 9pm, Monday to Sunday
Acevedo Diaz 1663
Open 9am to 9pm, Monday to Friday,
9am to 1pm, Saturday, closed on Sunday
De Julio 18 1581
Open 9am to 8pm, Monday to Friday,
9am to 2pm, Saturday, closed on Sunday
Redpagos Tata Salto - #328
Dr. Francisco Soca 220
Open 8am to 10pm, Monday to Sunday
Redpagos Luzardo - #466
Apolon De Mirbeck 1058
Open 8am to 8:30pm, Monday to Saturday, closed on Sunday
Tips for picking up cash in Uruguay
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises Australians to employ normal safety precautions in Uruguay. When you pick money from a cash pickup centre, see if you can get someone to go with you. Don’t keep too much money with you and refrain from wearing expensive jewellery or watches.
Petty crime such as bag snatching and pickpocketing is common. Avoid using ATMs on the street. Exercise caution in areas frequented by foreigners in and around Montevideo. These include Avenida 18 de Julio, La Ciudad Vieja and Plaza Independencia. Avoid walking alone in the port and downtown area. Try to avoid the Cerro neighbourhood completely.
Instances of petty crime increase in summer months, especially in areas that house beach resorts.
What are the steps to send money to Uruguay?
The steps involved in sending money to Uruguay depend on the method you choose.
- Transfer to bank account. Keep the recipient’s name, account number, bank’s name and bank’s SWIFT code handy. If you’re using a money transfer company or a bank other than your own, you’ll have to provide your bank account, debit card or credit card details as well. Processing time depends on the service provider you choose, and can vary from one to 12 days.
- Cash pickup. You can initiate the process by visiting a store-front. Provide cash or pay using your debit or credit card. You’ll have to provide the recipient’s name along with a desired cash pickup centre. If you’re sending money online, you’ll have to provide details of your bank account, debit card or credit card. Cash pickup transfers tend to go through almost immediately.
More guides on Finder
eHarmony | What’s the popular online dating site like?
Here’s everything you need to know about the global matchmaking site eHarmony and how to use it to find love.
Put your savings on autopilot: 4 money hacks for lazy people
SPONSORED: Saving money shouldn't feel like a chore. Here are four ways you can save more money while basically doing nothing at all.
Revolut launches in Australia: How does it compare to rival neobanks and fintechs?
As Revolut announces it's open for business in Australia, we look at how it compares to the likes of Up bank, TransferWise and 86 400.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralised finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
Commonwealth Bank Business Transaction Account ($10 Monthly Fee Option)
The Commonwealth Bank Business Transaction Account offers a Business Visa debit card, easy access to your funds and a range of convenient tools to help you manage your business’s cash flow.
8 personal finance habits to get more out of life
SPONSORED: Hacks to help you spend less time thinking about your money and more time enjoying it.
3 reasons why you should connect your bank account to the Finder app
What you can do when you connect your bank account to the Finder app.
How does life insurance work?
All your questions about life insurance answered. Find out how life insurance works and how to get the right cover for you.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert