Send money to Lebanon from Australia
Find out how you can save money and enjoy fast transfers when you send money to Lebanon from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The best way to send money to Lebanon largely depends on how much you're sending and your payment method. Compare digital money specialists to save on fees with access to stronger exchange rates and faster turnaround.
Send money to Lebanon with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Compare international money transfers to Lebanon
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Lebanon with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
- What's the best way to send money to Lebanon?
- How to send money to Lebanon online
- What are the ways that I can send money to Lebanon
- How to get the most out of your money transfer to Lebanon
- Lebanon's exchange rates explained
- Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Lebanon
- What to watch out for
- Bottom line
What's the best way to send money to Lebanon?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Lebanon. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Sending money through PayPal or your bank is also an option, but you'll typically face higher fees and weaker exchange rates when going that route.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like CurrencyTransfer specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's Lebanese bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Lebanon— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
The Lebanese pound isn't a popular currency, so your local bank may not be able to exchange it. If your bank does support the Lebanese pound, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options when sending a wire transfer to Lebanon.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Lebanon
Let's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Lebanon. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of 13 November 2020.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$3.99||$6 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 1,074.36 LBP||1 AUD = 1091.90 LBP||1 AUD = 1,034.09 LBP|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes||2-5 days|
|Amount received||LBP 1,074,366||LBP 1,087,548||LBP 1,027,885|
The cash transfer option ends up being both the fastest and best value.
How to send money to Lebanon online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their Lebanese bank account information.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Lebanon. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
What are the ways that I can send money to Lebanon
- Bank transfers. Many major Australian banks will allow you to send money to Lebanon.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like CurrencyTransfer can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Australia to Lebanon.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas if necessary.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Lebanon
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Lebanon to best meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The AUD-LBP relationship fluctuates occasionally, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Lebanese pound rises against the Australian dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger AUD-LBP exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of pounds you're sending to Lebanon.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Lebanon.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Lebanese bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer to Lebanon
When urgency trumps cost to get your money to Lebanon quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Lebanon without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Lebanon's exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country's currency is worth in another country's currency. When a country's currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Factors that may influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Track how the Lebanese pound trades against the Australian dollar in our historical rate chart.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Lebanon
To send money to Lebanon from Australia, you'll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Lebanon may differ by company.
Documents to send money from Australia
To send money from Australia to Lebanon, you'll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver's license, passport or other government-issued ID.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient's name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number and Lebanese bank account information.
Documents to receive money in Lebanon
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer's confirmation details — called a PIN, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Lebanese Passport, Lebanese ID or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
Sending money to Lebanon may be subject to taxes on the money transfer, but it depends on a lot of variables.
Sending your hard-earned money to Lebanon shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Robinhood stock from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
How to sell shares in Australia
All the key info you need to know to sell shares you inherited or received as a gift.
How to buy Roblox (RBLX) shares from Australia
Steps to owning and managing Roblox shares.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Square vs Shopify
We compare two of the leading merchant services on the market: Square and Shopify.
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
How to buy Kuaishou shares from Australia
Everything we know about the Kuaishou IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How many bank accounts do I need?
It's common to have a few different bank accounts that each have a different purpose. Here's how you may benefit from having multiple bank accounts and the traps to avoid.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Ask an Expert