How to send money to Ghana
Here's how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Ghana.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
When you want to send money to family, friends or colleagues in Ghana, you don't want to deal with a complicated and expensive process. Whether you use bank transfers or online transactions, compare transfer fees and exchange rates to help you get the best deal.
Send money to Ghana with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
What's in this guide?
- Compare money transfer services to Ghana
- What's the best way to send money to Ghana?
- How to send money to Ghana online
- How to get the most out of your money transfer to Ghana
- Ghana's exchange rates explained
- Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Ghana
- What to watch out for
- Bottom line
Compare money transfer services to Ghana
Use our interactive table to compare transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to loved ones and businesses in Ghana with our money transfer partners.
What's the best way to send money to Ghana?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Ghana. Some offer cash pickup in as little as few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Banks, PayPal and other options may be available, but may come with high fees, weak rates and longer turnaround times.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like XE and Wise specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's Ghana bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Digital money transfer services often let you send money to Ghana mobile money accounts. These accounts, also known as mobile wallets in Ghana, allow recipients to receive and spend money directly from their mobile phones without having to visit an agent location or bank.
Services like MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Ghana — often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees. If a cash pickup is necessary, look to digital services like WorldRemit or Remitly when possible.
Ghanaian Cedis aren't a popular currency, so your local bank probably won't be able to exchange them. If your bank does support Ghanaian Cedis, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $2000 to Ghana
Let's say you need to send $2000 to family in Ghana. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of 10 November 2020.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 4.1 GHS||1 AUD = 3.9 GHS|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes|
|Amount received||GHS $8,252||GHS $7,802|
The cash transfer options ends up being the best value, while a cash transfer is faster.
How to send money to Ghana online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their Ghanaian bank account details.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Ghana. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Ghana
Weigh costs and fees against convenience, and learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Ghana to meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The AUD-GHS relationship fluctuates often, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the number of Ghanaian cedis you're sending.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Ghana.
- Minimum limits. Average incomes vary widely between Australia and Ghana, which means companies with high minimum transfers may not be your best choice.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Ghana bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer
When it's more important to get your money to Ghana quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Ghana without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you're unbanked or marginally banked. If you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Ghana's exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country's currency is worth in another country's currency. When a country's currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Ghana's exchange rate is flexible compared to the Australia dollar, which means it shifts daily, if not more. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Track how the Ghanaian cedi trades against the Australia dollar in our historical rate chart.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Ghana
To send money to Ghana from Australia, you'll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Ghana may be different by company.
Documents to send money from Australia
To send money from Australia to Ghana, you'll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver's license, passport or other government-issued ID. Some services allow you to send transfers without ID, but they may require your SSN.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient's name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number, Ghanaian bank account and routing number.
Documents to receive money in Ghana
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer's confirmation details — called a PIN, a MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Ghanaian Passport, Ghanaian Driving License or a similar government-issued ID is typically required to pick up cash.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
According to the Australia Embassy in Ghana, the most common types of money scams involving Ghana typically include:
- Disbursement of money from wills.
- Contract fraud (C.O.D. of goods or services).
- Purchase of real estate.
- Conversion of hard currency.
- Transfer of funds from over invoiced contracts.
- Sale of crude oil at below market prices.
- Sale of gold at below market prices.
- Advance fees or 'gifts' requested to enable U.S. companies to be awarded lucrative tender.
- Advance fees to finalize an offer of employment.
Sending your hard-earned money to Ghana shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Coles No Annual Fee Mastercard – Exclusive Offer
Enjoy 10,000 bonus points and 12 months interest-free on balance transfers and purchases. Plus, an ongoing $0 annual fee.
Best wine clubs and subscription services in Australia
We’ve done the hard work to find the best wine clubs and subscription services for Australian wine drinkers.
Cryptocurrency staking guide: How to stake coins for rewards
Staking is one of the most popular ways to earn an income with cryptocurrency – learn how to get started with this guide.
Bitcoin trading made simple
Build both your knowledge and Bitcoin wallet with this simple guide to trading.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
Find the best AUD to USD exchange rate
Get today’s best Australian to US dollar exchange rates before you send money overseas.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Pay as you go mobile plans
Pay as you go mobile plans are a great way to save money if you don't use your phone very often.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Ask an Expert