How to send money to Ethiopia
Save time and money when sending money to Ethiopia from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Located in the Horn of Africa, Ethiopia boasts an intriguing archaeological history and is home to around 100 million people. If you ever want to send a money transfer from Australia to this landlocked African nation, there are plenty of ways to do so.
Before you choose a transfer method, it’s essential that you compare the options at your disposal to see which one is the most affordable.
Send money to Ethiopia with WorldRemit
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Send money online within minutes
- Large range of destinations
- Able to send to cash pickup locations
Compare money transfer services
Banks versus money transfer companies
One convenient option when you need to send money overseas is to ask your bank to take care of the transaction. While banks certainly present a convenient option when it comes to international money transfers, their services are far from affordable. Banks are known for their high transaction fees and terrible exchange rates, so you can usually find a cheaper option by looking elsewhere.
When hunting around for a provider to help you send money overseas, consider the services offered by specialist online money transfer companies. These companies trade in high volumes of foreign currency, allowing them to offer much better exchange rates than the banks. They also charge lower transaction fees, allowing you to save money whenever you send funds overseas.
Anne Sends Money to Ethiopia
Anne’s friend Jonathan lives in Ethiopia and is in desperate need of money to pay for repairs to his car. Anne offers to send him $1,000 as quickly as she can, and she looks around to find a company that offers urgent cash transfers. Since her bank doesn’t support exotic currencies, she compares two specialist companies offering this service, their exchange rates and fees to see which one offers the superior deal.
As you can see in the table below, Anne can save AUD $15 in transfer fees by using the second transfer company and also send an extra six ETB to Jonathan.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 14.401 ETB||1 AUD = 14.407 ETB|
|Transfer method||Cash pick-up transfer||Cash pick-up transfer|
|Processing time||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in ETB)||14,401 ETB||14,407 ETB|
Today's exchange rate AUD to ETB
Questions I should ask myself when transferring and receiving money via Ethiopia
- Exchange rates. What sort of exchange rates does the company offer? How do they compare to those offered by other providers?
- Transaction fees. How much will you be charged in fees each time you send an international transfer? Can you avoid fees by sending a larger amount of money?
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers online, in a branch, over the telephone and/or through a mobile app?
- Flexible options. Can you set up a regular payment schedule to save you time in the future? Can you place limit orders or forward contracts to secure a better deal?
- Transfer time. How long will it take for the money to arrive to your recipient? Processing times typically range from a few minutes to several working days.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Are there any minimum or maximum transfer limits that apply to each transaction? Will they regularly affect your transfer requirements?
- Pickup options. Will the funds be available to be collected in cash, be sent to your recipient’s bank account or transferred in some other way?
- Customer service. If something ever goes wrong with a transaction or you have a question about the company’s services, will you have quick and easy access to customer support?
How do I send money to Ethiopia from Australia?
- Specialist money transfer providers. Start researching now to find out which international money transfer providers allow you to send money to Ethiopia.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are the two largest cash pickup transfer companies in the world.
- Bank transfers. Bank transfers are a convenient option but are typically quite costly.
- International cheques. An old-school transfer method is to post an international guaranteed cheque to your beneficiary.
How do I receive money from Ethiopia in Australia?
- Specialist money transfer providers. Specialist online transfer companies offer better exchange rates and lower fees than the banks.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Choose a cash pickup transfer company that offers affordable transactions and a pickup location close to you.
- Bank transfers. Bank transfers are another option when receiving money from Ethiopia, but shop around to see just how affordable they are.
- International cheques. Check with your bank to find out how much it costs to cash an international cheque.
Emergency cash transfers in Ethiopia
In certain circumstances you may need to send a cash transfer from Australia to Ethiopia as quickly as possible. If you find yourself in this situation, make sure you’re aware that emergency international cash transfers usually cost more than standard online transfers.
Thanks to low exchange rates and increased fees, you’ll pay more for your transfer than you would in normal circumstances – so review the details and cost of your transaction before you hand over your money.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in Ethiopia/ Western Union/ MoneyGram branches in Ethiopia
Western Union and MoneyGram both operate substantial cash pick-up transfer networks around the world. Some of their popular cash pick-up locations in Ethiopia are listed below. If you’re picking up cash, make sure you have photo ID and a transaction reference number handy.
- Aba Mella Branch
Hican BuildingUmmar Semetar Street Addis Ababa, 12947 +251-11-1557649Open 2am to 7pm Monday to Saturday
- Abinet Branch
Abinet Area Gibe Commercial Center Sub City Lideta P O Box 12947 Addis Ababa, +251-11-2781307Open 2am to 7pm Monday to Saturday
- Allay Badey
Around Ashewa AreaInfront Of Cigarettes Market Dire Dawa, 19963 +251-254-110532Open 12:40am to 3pm Monday to Saturday
- CBE Dire Konnel
Dire Dawa Location Konnel Dire Dawa, +251-251-113066Open 7am to 4pm Monday to Friday, 7am to 11am Saturday
- Awash Bank
Around Addisu Gebeya Belay Zelek RoadAddis Ababa,111268100Open 8am to 7pm Monday to Saturday
Addis Ababa911713598Open 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday
- CBE - Lege Oda
Dire Dawa, 68252110327Open 8am to 7pm Monday to Thursday, 24 hours Friday to Sunday
- CBE - Kefira
Kefira AreaDire Dawa,251110115Open 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday
Tips for picking up cash in Ethiopia
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises Australians to reconsider their need to travel to Ethiopia. If you wish to visit the country nonetheless and you need to pick up a cash transfer while there, keep the following tips in mind:
- Only visit a transfer branch in an area where you feel safe
- Keep your cash hidden – don’t display it in public
- Take a friend along to provide extra security
- Don’t carry a large sum of money around with you for any longer than necessary
What are the steps to send money to Ethiopia?
You’ll need to check the exact money transfer process with the transfer company you choose, but you will generally need to:
- Register for an account. Accounts are usually free to sign up for and you can do this online. You will need to supply your full name, contact information, proof of ID and bank account details.
- Enter your transaction details. The next step is to enter all the relevant transaction information, including how much money you’re sending and in what currency. You’ll also need to specify who will be receiving the transfer.
- Finalise the transaction. After reviewing the cost of your transaction, it’s time to finalise and submit your transfer request. Most companies also provide an online tracking service so that you know when your funds have been delivered.
More guides on Finder
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
MoneyMe Freestyle Virtual Mastercard
Get $250 credit back when you meet the eligibility requirements and 55 days interest-free on purchases.
How to buy shares for children
Here is the essential info you need to know about investing in the stock market for your children.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Be money mindful: How to develop a positive money mindset during COVID-19
SPONSORED: You need to look after your financial health, not just your physical and mental health, during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here's how to do it.
The top sites you need for buying baby clothes online
Whether you want to splurge or get something more affordable, this is where you can purchase a wide range of baby clothes online.
Square Payments & Payroll review Australia
Square offers simple ways for businesses to accept card payments, along with a range of other services including payroll.
Put your savings on autopilot: 4 money hacks for lazy people
SPONSORED: Saving money shouldn't feel like a chore. Here are four ways you can save more money while basically doing nothing at all.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
Money Transfer Finder®
Our picks for the best ways to send money internationally.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert