If you're looking to send money to Angola, remember to compare options first.
You could save a lot and find the money transfer service that best suits your need by considering fees, exchange rates, transfer times and how your recipient will get their funds.
How much does it cost to send money to Angola? Compare your options
The calculator below shows how much it may cost with different providers when you're sending money to Angola. Just enter the transfer amount and it will show the costs.
Learn more about
Step-by-step: How to send money to Angola
- Choose your service from the options listed here that can send your dollars to kwanza.
- Go to the service's website and create an account.
- Create a new money transfer order on the website, including the amount and the recipient's details.
- Confirm your transaction details and make the payment. Your money is now on its way.
What's the best way to send money to Angola?
There are three basic ways of sending money overseas. The best way of sending money to Angola will depend on what you and the recipient are looking for.
Bank transfers are reliable and can be convenient, but also tend to be slow and expensive. In general, banks may be more suitable for business payments than remittances.
If you want to pay with cash, or the recipient wants to pick up cash somewhere in Angola, there are many services available. This is fast but can be more expensive than online transfers.
Money transfer services
These online-only services can be among the cheapest options available, but will generally require you to pay with a bank transfer.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Angola
The table below shows how much it costs to send money to Angola with two different money transfer services. In both cases, the recipient is getting a cash pick-up.
This example shows how different prices can be for the same type of service and why it can pay to compare.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 224.6969||1 AUD = 217.3480|
|Transfer speed||Within minutes||Within minutes|
|Total kwanza received||AOA219,079||AOA213,003|
|Receiver gets||AOA6,076 more||AOA6,076 less|
Even though one service has lower fees, the other has better exchange rates. By comparing the options and considering the exchange rates as well as the fees, a recipient in Angola could get over AOA6,000 (roughly $25) more.
How long will it take to send money to Angola?
How long it takes to send money to Angola depends on a range of factors. If you want to get money there as fast as possible, cash transfers may be the most efficient choice.
Alternatively, if both you and the recipient have a suitable mobile money account, such as e-Kwanza, you can send mobile money payments instantly.
Emergency cash transfer
Services that specialise in cash transfers can help you send money to Angola, offering pick-up locations around the country. These transfers generally take only minutes.
However, the recipient will still have to travel to the pick-up location and will have to visit it during its business hours to make the collection.
How to send money to Angola without a bank account
If you don't have a bank account, you may have to pay with cash at an agent location. There is a wide range of agent locations around the world, although some services will have better coverage in some countries than others.
Your recipient can still make a cash pick-up without a bank account, and can also receive mobile money payments without necessarily having a bank account.
What to watch out for
Angola is very cash oriented, so cash transfers are considered the norm. It also imposes tight restrictions on the Angolan kwanza to prevent it from leaving the country in large amounts.
There are generally few restrictions or taxes on money coming into the country, but sending money from Angola to other countries is much more difficult.
Documentation you'll need to send money to Angola
When you send money to Angola, some of the things you may need to provide include the following:
- Identification. You may need to show a driver's licence or passport to provide proof of the other details you provide. Your recipient may also need to provide proof of identity.
- Transfer details. This includes the amount and that you want to send to the Angolan kwanza. You may also need to provide additional information such as the reason for sending the money.
- Recipient's details. This is the recipient's name and contact information. You'll also be given a transfer number, which you should send to the recipient so they can collect the money.
What to compare to get the best deal
You can compare on cost alone, but there are other factors to consider too.
- Fees. The fees are often the main cost, but you should also consider exchange rates.
- Exchange rates. On large transfers, the exchange rates can be one of the biggest expenses.
- Transfer speed. If you need the money to arrive in a hurry, look for services that are convenient for the recipient.
- Payment options. How would you like to pay for your transfer? Your options may vary depending on whether you'd prefer to pay with card, cash or bank transfer.
- Delivery methods. Is cash pick-up fine, or do you want to send the money directly to the recipient's bank account?
- Customer service. Who do you contact in case something goes wrong? Does the money transfer service have a good reputation for customer service?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rates can make up a large portion of the total costs, especially for larger transfers.
To find out how good your rates are, compare the exchange rate offered by the transfer service to
the current AUD/AOA mid-market rate.
Today's exchange rate AUD to AOA
Cash pick-up locations in Angola
Frequently asked questions
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
No-maximum limit transfers with competitive exchange rates for 100+ currencies. No transfer fee over AUD$10,000.
Ask an Expert