Finder’s Customer Satisfaction Awards Methodology
How we determined the winners for our 2023 customer satisfaction awards.
The Finder Customer Satisfaction Retail Awards recognise brand sentiment from customer feedback on a number of different product categories. Finder worked with leading data, insights and consulting company, Dynata to conduct thousands of customer interviews.
- Consumers were asked to review a range of products they purchased recently.
- The recency period varied between 3 months to 3 years, depending on the product category.
- A minimum sample size was determined for each group, below which a brand did not qualify, ranging from 35 to 45 responses.
- Respondents were asked whether they would recommend each product to a friend. This result was scored out of five as a percentage. For example, if 80% of respondents said they would recommend a product, it received a score of 4 out of 5.
- Panellists were then asked how they would rate each product overall, and in terms of value for money, on a scale between 1 and 5.
- Respondents were also asked to rate specific aspects of the product, tailored to each product type. For example, air fryer users were asked to rate cooking performance, ease of operation, cleaning and maintenance, and the range of features and functions while television users were asked to rate image quality, performance, range of features and design, and ease of operation.
- The final score was calculated as an average of all metrics scored.
- If a brand no longer exists in market they are disqualified. However if the brand name changes and the products remain the same the brand is still eligible under the new name.
- The Finder Retail Awards is an independent awards program and commercial partnerships do not influence the results in any way.
Disclaimer: While we endeavour to assess the majority of product providers in the market, this is not always possible and it may be that not every product or brand in the market was included for judging.
Meet our experts
Head of International PR, Finder
Susannah Binsted is the international PR manager at Finder. She leads the Finder Retail Awards for 2023.
Insights Support Analyst, Finder Awards
William Capada is a data analyst for Finder's Customer Satisfaction Awards. He helps make sense of all the scoring.
Insights Analyst, Finder Awards
Saranga is responsible for gathering the data that fuels the Finder Awards. He ensures our winners are based on facts, not biases.
Senior Editor, Finder Shopping
Chris is a senior editor at Finder covering all things shopping and retail. He has been writing about consumer technology for 17 years.
More guides on Finder
Finder Mobile Awards 2022
The 2022 Finder Mobile Awards celebrates the best prepaid and postpaid plans in Australia.
Finder Broadband Awards 2022
We've crowned the top NBN plans for everyday use and fast speeds in this year's Finder Awards.
Finder Home Loan Satisfaction Awards 2022
We surveyed thousands of Australians to find out which home loan brands' customers are the most satisfied.
Australia’s green beauty brands in 2022
Lots of beauty brands talk a good game when it comes to the environment, but who walks the talk? Find out with the Finder Green Awards.
Carbon-neutral mobile phone plans
Get a phone plan that's good for your wallet and the planet.
Australia’s green supermarkets 2022
Woolworths and Coles are both doing their part to make supermarkets more sustainable – here’s how and which one is leading the way in 2022.
Australia’s green online retailers 2022
Looking to make your online shopping more sustainable? Check out the Finder Green Award winner and finalists for 2022.
The best cleaning brands in the 2021/22 Finder Retail Awards
Discover the best cleaning brands in Australia, as rated by real Australians in the Finder Retail Awards for 2021/22.
Green internet providers in Australia
Get an internet plan that's good for your wallet and for the planet.
Australia’s green insurers
Finder has recognised the insurers who are leading the way in sustainability. Find out who won.
Ask an Expert