6 easy tips to supercharge your holiday savings
Save smart and get on that trip sooner.
Despite the cost-of-living crisis, the most popular reason for saving money right now is for a holiday. Finder research shows 22% of us are currently putting money aside for a trip.
Speed up that process by following these simple tips:
- Maximise interest on your savings account. Current high interest rates are bad news for mortgage holders, but great for travel saving. Our savings expert Allison Banney recently rounded up 5 accounts offering 5% or more.
- Automate your savings. Set up an automated transfer each month so your funds go straight into that savings account.
- Use frequent flyer points for a cheaper trip. Finder research shows every 1,000 points you earn is easily worth $20 in air fares. You can get your points total off to a great start by signing up for a frequent flyer credit card with a big bonus points offer.
- Earn points from your supermarket shopping. Boost those points totals further by transferring your Everyday Rewards or Flybuys points into your frequent flyer account. My bonus tip: if you're a Woolworths shopper, look into Everyday Extra to score even more points - it can pay for itself quickly with supermarket discounts.
- Plan your trip to save money. Even switching your planned departure date from a Monday to a Tuesday can make a big difference to air fares. Not everyone can be flexible, but if you can avoid school holidays, you'll also pay a lot less for accommodation, flights and car rental.
- Save on insurance with your credit card. Our credit cards guru Amy Bradney-George recently spent a month in Europe, and managed to save $200 on travel insurance by cleverly using her credit card insurance options. Learn how she did it.
Happy travel planning!