We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Ampol offers a range of fuel cards designed to help you get more value every time you fill up your car at over 1,900 locations across Australia. These cards were known as Caltex fuel cards until 2021, when they were re-branded as Ampol.
This is part of a wider transition, as Ampol phases out the use of the Caltex, Starcard and StarCash brands, which were used under licence. You can use this guide to learn more about different Ampol fuel cards, including features, acceptance and how to apply.
Comparison of Ampol Fuel Cards (previously known as Caltex fuel cards)
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Compare different types of Ampol cards
These are the major features, fees and benefits of each Ampol fuel card type:
The AmpolCard is a corporate fuel card available to Australian businesses. It offers a simple way to get extra value from your work road trips. For a monthly fee of $2.95 per card, you can receive discounts of 4 cents per litre on Vortex Premium fuels, 2 cents per litre on regular petrol or diesel, 10% on packaged lubricants and 5% on convenience items at selected sites.
This card could also help with managing business card costs as it comes with a single, ATO-approved monthly statement that tracks all of your company’s vehicle expenses. It also offers easy online management, as well as optional extras such as roadside assistance or vehicle repairs at an additional monthly cost. This card was previously known as the Caltex StarCard before it transitioned to the Ampol branding.
AmpolCash is a prepaid fuel card that's similar to a gift card. It can be purchased in multiple denominations of $25, $50, $100, $250 and $500 and also comes in digital format.
AmpolCash is available for purchase from participating service stations in Ampol's network. You can also order AmpolCash online as either the Classic (physical) card or as a digital card that can be instantly downloaded to your smartphone for cardless payments. This card was previously know as the Caltex StarCash card before it transitioned to the Ampol branding.
Features and benefits of an Ampol fuel card
These are the major benefits of an Ampol fuel card:
- Save on fuel costs. The AmpolCard offers fuel savings and in-store discounts that can amount to substantial cost reductions over time.
- Track business fuel costs easily. Stay on top of your corporate car expenses by having them all consolidated in a single ATO-approved monthly statement. This simplifies bookkeeping and reduces accounting costs.
- Card acceptance. At the moment, you can use Ampol fuel cards at over 1,900 locations in the Ampol network. This includes both Ampol locations and Caltex locations that are yet to be transitioned to the Ampol brand.
How to apply for an Ampol fuel card
While the requirements for both cards differ, you may apply for all of them online at the Ampol website simply by following the appropriate prompts.
What you need to apply for the AmpolCard fuel card
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must be a director/partner/owner/trustee to complete the application
- Your 11-digit ABN
- Your driver’s licence details
- Details of your company's directors, partners or trustees
- Details of your bank account
What you need to apply for the AmpolCash fuel card
- Consumer. Consumer cards can be purchased online with a credit card. You’ll need to choose your denomination and number of cards, provide your name, billing address, and credit card details.
- Corporate. Corporate cards must be ordered via the online form, after which an invoice will be generated and your payment made via direct deposit or cheque. You will need to provide details of your company including ABN and contact details, billing and delivery addresses. You will also need to indicate the card denomination and quantity required, as well as a delivery method which can cost up to $55 if you select courier service.
Each Ampol fuel card offers specific benefits and savings to its cardholders. But before choosing a fuel card, you should research other available options to decide which one will deliver the best value and reward given your specific needs.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
How to buy SPDR S-and-P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $120 off Nintendo Switch on Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Ask an Expert