We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
If you’re looking for a way to finance a large purchase, a holiday, or even an investment such as home renovations, consider a three-year fixed rate personal loan. These loans are suited to a wide range of needs. Find out what these loans are, how they work, how to compare them and if they are right for you.
- Get a personalised comparison rate based on your credit score
100% confidential application
Plenti Fixed Rate Personal Loan
Plenti offers this unsecured personal loan with a fixed or variable rate. Receive a tailored interest rate from 6.49% p.a. based on your risk profile.
- Interest rate from: 6.49% p.a.
- Comparison rate: 6.84% p.a.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Application fee: From $149 to $599
- Minimum loan amount: $2,001
- Maximum loan amount: $45,000
When you apply for a fixed rate personal loan, the rate applied to your loan when you sign the contract will remain the same throughout the entire loan term. Typically, these loans have a loan term of three years, but some lenders offer a loan with a fixed rate term of three years but a total loan term of up to seven. The remainder of the term has a variable rate applied.
These loans can be secured or unsecured and fees and restrictions differ depending on the lender. However, you'll usually see both early repayment fees and fees for making additional repayments.
What types of these personal loans are available?
Three-year fixed rate loans can be used for various purposes and there are a few different types available:
- Three-year fixed rate car loans. If you’re looking at buying a new or used car you will find various options for three-year fixed loans. As the loan is secured you will be able to lock in a competitive low rate, depending on the lender.
- Three-year fixed rate secured loans. Even if you aren’t purchasing a vehicle you can still consider a secured personal loan. If you hold equity in your home, have money in a term deposit or own a high-value asset such as fine art or jewellery, you may be able to use it to guarantee the loan.
- Three-year fixed rate unsecured loans. You can use funds from an unsecured loan to go on a holiday, consolidate debt, buy big-ticket items, or for any other purpose, and not risk a secured asset.
How you can compare your three-year fixed rate options
If you’re considering a three-year fixed rate loan as a financing option, it’s best to compare your options to find the right loan for you. Here are some features to look out for when comparing:
- The interest rate. You will be locked into this rate for three years, so ensure it’s competitive. When comparing your options on finder.com.au, you can sort comparison tables like the one above by clicking on the column heading. Remember, secured loans tend to have better rates than unsecured loans.
- The upfront and ongoing fees. Are there any application fees? Will you be charged monthly or annual fees? The comparison rate will give you an idea of the true cost of the loan, as it incorporates the rate and fees.
- The other fees you may be charged. Fixed rate loans often attract fees for making additional repayments, accessing redraw facilities (if available) and repaying your loan ahead of time. Be sure to check these before you apply.
- The eligibility criteria. Are you eligible for the loans you’re comparing? By clicking on the name of the loan in finder.com.au comparison tables you can see a list of the minimum eligibility criteria required to apply – this may help you narrow down your options and find loans more suited to your needs.
Weighing up the benefits of fixed rate loans
- You can lock in a competitive rate that stays in place for three years
- A three-year term can help keep your repayments low, depending on how much you borrow
- A range of lenders offer three-year fixed rate personal loans so you have many loans to compare
- If market conditions improve, you won’t benefit from lowered repayments
- You will usually need to pay a fee to pay back your loan early or make additional repayments
- If your situation changes and you need to switch to a loan with a longer loan term, you may need to pay a fee
Check out other fixed rate personal loans
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Best camping mattresses in Australia
These are the 6 best camping mattresses you can get in Australia right now.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Best weed killers in Australia
These are the eight best weed killers you can buy right now in Australia.
Brighte Personal Loan
Looking to renovate your home? Find out more about Brighte's personal loan for home improvements and ways in which it may be able to benefit you.
Endeavour Mutual Bank Special Fixed Home Loan
The Special Fixed Home Loan from Endeavour Mutual Bank is a fixed rate mortgage for owner-occupiers and investors.
Sydney Mutual Bank Special Fixed Home Loan
The Special Fixed Home Loan from Sydney Mutual Bank is a fixed rate mortgage for owner-occupiers and investors. Available with a 5% deposit.
Apple iPad 2020 review
Apple's entry-level iPad has really only had a processor update this year, but it remains the best tablet that you can buy.
Best graphics cards in Australia
Whether you’re putting together a 4K beast, a VR-ready machine or just want to try out PC gaming cheaply, these are the best graphics cards you can buy.
Hunter United Fixed Home Loan
The Fixed Home Loan from Hunter United is a fixed rate loan with options for home buyers and investors.
Best gaming chairs in Australia 2020
Keen to take your gaming to the next level? We've analysed hundreds of customer reviews to determine the best gaming chairs for PC and console.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 25.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 9.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 10.88% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.95% p.a. and 17.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Make additional repayments or pay off the loan early, penalty-free.
Ask an Expert