Take advantage of locked-in exchange rates, competitive savings and 11 foreign currencies with this prepaid Visa card.
The Westpac Global Currency Card is a prepaid Visa travel money card that lets you load up to 5 of 11 different currencies at any one time. This allows you to lock in competitive currency exchange rates and save on ATM and transaction fees when paying in a loaded currency. The card also comes with an additional complimentary card and can be used wherever Visa is accepted.
The Westpac Global Currency Card is not currently available via finder. Visit www.westpac.com.au/international-travel/travel-money-card/ for this product or compare other pre-paid travel card and travel-friendly debit and credit card options below.
|Available Currencies||AUD, USD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, NZD, SGD, THB, ZAR|
|Multiple Currencies on One Card?||Yes|
|Number of Cards Issued||2|
|Minimum Load Amount||$100|
|Maximum Load Amount||$50,000|
|Maximum Load Amount (Annual)||$100,000|
|24 Hour ATM Cash Withdrawal Limit||$2,000|
|24 Hour Purchase (POS) Transaction Limit||$10,000|
|Card Issue Fee||$0|
|Initial Load Fee||$0|
|ATM Withdrawal Fee|
Non-Westpac Group ATM in Australia/non-Global Alliance ATM overseas: AUD 2.00, USD 2.00, GBP 1.50, EUR 2.00, NZD 3.00, CAD 2.50, HKD 15.00, SGD 3.00, JPY 200, THB 75.00, ZAR 20.00
Over 50k ATMs (Global ATM Alliance network & Westpac Group): $0
|Transaction Fee (for Purchases)||$0|
|Card Replacement Fee||$0|
|Currency Conversion Fee||3%|
|BPAY Reload Fee||May attract fee|
|Available to Temporary Residents?||No|
What currencies can I load on the Westpac Global Currency Card?
The Westpac Global Currency Card supports:
- Australian dollars (AUD)
- US dollars (USD)
- Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
- Canadian dollars (CAD)
- Euros (EUR)
- Japanese yen (JPY)
- Great British pounds (GBP)
- New Zealand dollars (NZD)
- South African rand (ZAR)
- Thai baht (THB)
- Singapore dollars (SGD)
Currency wallet order
Whenever you spend in a foreign currency, that currency wallet will automatically be debited for the transaction. However, if your wallet balance is insufficient to cover that transaction or if you spend in a foreign currency unsupported by the card, your available card balance will be drawn down following the currency order or "drawdown sequence".
You can set your preferred drawdown sequence by logging into your account online or calling Customer Assistance on 1300 797 470 and following the prompts. If you don't indicate your preference, the default order will be the order in which you first placed your funds on the card.
To illustrate how the currency order or drawdown sequence works, imagine that you're in Vietnam and wish to pay for a meal in Vietnamese dong.
Since the Vietnamese dong isn't a supported currency on the Westpac Global Currency Card, your Australian currency wallet will be debited first. If you don't have sufficient Australian dollars to cover the transaction, your US currency wallet will be debited next, followed by the euro wallet, the New Zealand dollar wallet and the Japanese yen wallet until the transaction amount is satisfied.
Applicable foreign exchange rates used in such situations are determined by Westpac and fluctuate daily. They can be found on the Westpac website.
You can hold five of these currencies on your card at any given time, one of which must always be Australian dollars. When loading or reloading electronically, your funds are always loaded on your card as Australian dollars.
You may load funds into foreign currency wallets at a Westpac branch and the daily foreign exchange rates will apply. When transferring funds between currency wallets on your card, the current Westpac foreign exchange rates will be applied.
Where can I use my Westpac Global Currency Card?
The Westpac Global Currency Card is a Visa card that enjoys online and in-store acceptance globally. You can use it at merchants and ATM machines wherever Visa is accepted, except for pre-authorised regular payments, illegal transactions and Internet gambling transactions.
Features of the Westpac Global Currency Card
The perks and features you can look forward to include:
- Locked-in exchange rates. Lock in exchange rates on the card before embarking on your journey. This can offer protection from exchange rate fluctuations and help with budgeting.
- Additional card. Your complimentary spare card serves as a backup in case of theft, loss or damage to the first card.
- Global ATM alliance. Access cash at any ATM worldwide, wherever the Visa logo is displayed.
- No ATM withdrawal fees. Enjoy $0 ATM fees when you use one of over 50,000 Global Alliance ATMs.
- Smartphone app. The Westpac Global Currency Card app lets you manage your travel money on any smart device so that you can check balances and transactions, change currencies, transfer money between currencies and change account settings while on the go.
- Account and transaction limits. Your account balance cannot exceed AUD$50,000 or equivalent at any time. Your daily load or reload cannot exceed AUD$25,000 or equivalent, each in-branch or bank transfer load or reload cannot exceed AUD$25,000 and each BPAY load or reload cannot exceed AUD$6,000. Your maximum aggregate balance during any calendar year cannot exceed AUD$100,000 or equivalent. Daily ATM withdrawals cannot exceed AUD$2,000 or equivalent and your total ATM withdrawals, POS/EFTPOS or online purchases in a day cannot exceed AUD$10,000 or equivalent. Merchants or ATM operators may impose additional limits.
How much does the Westpac Global Currency Card cost?
This table lists the costs associated with this travel card along with a brief explanation of when you'll be charged each fee.
|Type of fee||Cost||Excess|
|Purchase fee||$0||You won't be charged a fee when you purchase the card.|
|Initial load fee||$0||When you load your new card for the first time|
|Additional card fee||$0||You can request an additional card for free.|
|Replacement card fee||$0||You won't be charged a fee if you request a replacement card if your card is lost, stolen or damaged.|
|Foreign exchange fee||3% of the Australian dollar amount of the transaction of the AUD transaction value||When you transact in a currency that is not supported on the card.|
|ATM withdrawal fee||When you make an ATM withdrawal in Australia or globally|
|ATM balance enquiry fee||When you make a balance enquiry in Australia or globally|
|Emergency cash transfer fee||When you request an emergency cash transfer, such as when your card has been lost, damaged or stolen|
|Inactivity fee||$0||Unlike some other cards, you won't be charged a fee if your account is inactive|
How to use the Westpac Global Currency Card
Follow these easy steps to get your card up and running:
- Activating the card. Activate your new card by heading online to the Westpac website or by calling 1300 797 470 and following the prompts. You must also sign your card before using it.
- Loading funds on the card. Load funds instantly in Australian dollars via Westpac Live Online Banking by designating your Global Currency Card as the "To" account. Otherwise you may transfer funds via bank transfer directly from another bank, or via BPAY. Bank transfers generally take one business day to process while BPAY can take up to three. You may also choose to load funds at any Westpac branch.
- Managing your online account. Manage your card online or by using the Westpac Global Currency Card app on your smart device. When logged into your account, you can view currency balances and past transactions, activate currencies, change your currency order, transfer funds between currency wallets and manage general account settings.
What do I do if I return home with foreign currency remaining on the card?
You may choose to keep your card for future travel or online shopping. Otherwise you may withdraw remaining cash from any Westpac, St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA ATM in Australia without incurring any ATM withdrawal fees.
You could also log into your Global Currency Card account and transfer any remaining foreign currencies back into your Australian currency wallet at the prevailing exchange rate before requesting that your available balance be transferred into a nominated Australian bank account.
Who do I contact if my card is lost, stolen or damaged?
If your card has been damaged, lost or stolen, call 1300 797 470 or +61 2 9374 7102 from overseas. This number operates 24/7 and you can request a card replacement or emergency cash here.
How to apply for a Westpac Global Currency Card
This product is available to existing Westpac customers. You can apply online via Westpac Online Banking or the Westpac website. If approved, your card will be delivered in three to five business days. For existing Westpac customers yet to set up online banking accounts, you may register for online banking at any time online or call 1300 655 505 for assistance between 8am and 8pm AEST, seven days a week.
Are there any eligibility requirements?
You must be over 16 years old, have an Australian residential address and be an existing Westpac customer with online banking access. You may also need to provide proof of identification for verification purposes.
The Westpac Global Currency Card is easy to use and offers a convenient travel money option for the savvy globetrotter. As always though, make sure to compare your options before deciding on a travel money card to find a card that best suits your needs.Back to top