Simplify your travel money management by loading up to 10 major currencies onto your Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport.
Important informationThe Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport is no longer available for new applicants. This information has been maintained for existing cardholders. Please see our review of the Travelex Money Card for more prepaid travel money options from Travelex.
The Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport is a prepaid Mastercard travel money card that helps you save on overseas ATM fees. You can also save on currency conversion fees as long as your card is sufficiently loaded with the correct transaction currency. You can load up to 10 different currencies on this card at any one time and make purchases or ATM withdrawals wherever Mastercard is accepted.
While the Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport is no longer available for sale, Travelex is now offering a new prepaid travel option called the Travelex Money Card. For existing Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport cardholders, you can continue to use your card up until its printed expiry date. You can also choose to transfer your balance onto a Travelex Money Card at no extra cost by contacting Card Services at 1800 303 297 or +44 20 3284 8395 if overseas.
What currencies can I load onto the Travelex Cash Passport?
The Travelex Cash Passport supports:
- United States Dollars
- Great Britain Pounds
- Canadian Dollars
- New Zealand Dollars
- Australian Dollars
- Singapore Dollars
- Hong Kong Dollars
- Japanese Yen
- Thai Baht
When any of these currencies are loaded onto your card, the available balance for a particular currency will be debited for transactions made in that currency. If you have insufficient funds in the necessary currency, the card will automatically deduct funds from the other available currencies in the following order of priority:
When you make a purchase or an ATM withdrawal in a currency that either isn’t supported by the card or doesn’t have sufficient funds loaded onto it, both a 5.95% currency conversion fee and a foreign exchange rate will apply. The foreign exchange rates, as well as the ones applied to bank transfers and BPAY reloads, are set by Mastercard Prepaid and vary each day. You can check on applicable exchange rates by directly contacting Mastercard Prepaid on 1800 098 231.
For initial loads and in-branch reloads, the foreign exchange rates that apply are quoted at the time of purchase and will vary by store. These rates will also vary daily.
Where can I use my Travelex Cash Passport?
The Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport is accepted at millions of merchants and ATMs worldwide wherever Mastercard is accepted. However, please note that the card cannot be used for manual or offline transactions, for any unlawful activity or where economic or trade sanctions have been imposed
Features of the Travelex Cash Passport
Some of the features/benefits of the card include:
- Locked-in exchange rates. Locking in your currency exchange rates prior to travelling offers peace of mind and helps control your travel budget.
- Additional card. The free secondary card serves as a backup in case of loss, theft or damage to your primary card.
- Worldwide ATM alliance. Access cash at any ATM in the world where the Mastercard logo is displayed.
- Online management. Easily manage your account at any time by logging into “My Account”, where you can view your balances and transaction history and transfer funds across currencies.
- No international ATM withdrawal fees. Enjoy free ATM withdrawals outside of Australia. Note that you may be directly charged a fee by the ATM operator.
- Account and withdrawal limits. The maximum balance you can have across all currencies over a 12-month period is AUD$100,000 or equivalent, your daily ATM withdrawal limit is AUD$3,000 or equivalent, your daily EFTPOS transaction limit is AUD$15,000 or equivalent and your daily cash-over-the-counter limit is AUD$350 or equivalent.
How much does the Travelex Cash Passport cost?
See the table below for a summary of the costs associated with the Travelex Cash Passport and when you’ll be charged.
|Type of fee||Cost||When you’ll be charged|
|Purchase fee||The greater of 1.1% of the initial load / reload amount or AU$15.00||When you are issued the card at the time of purchase|
|Reload fee||Every time you reload funds onto your card after the initial load amount|
|Secondary card fee||$0||When you are issued with a free secondary card at the time of purchase|
|Replacement card fee||$0||When you need a new card to replace a lost, stolen or damaged one|
|Currency conversion fee||5.95% of the transaction value||When you make a purchase or withdrawal in a currency that is not supported or sufficiently loaded on your card|
|International ATM withdrawal fee||$0||When you make an ATM withdrawal at any international location, an ATM operator fee may still apply|
|Domestic ATM withdrawal fee||2.95% of withdrawal amount||When you make an ATM withdrawal within Australia|
|Over-the-counter cash fee||$10||When you withdraw cash over the counter|
|Monthly inactivity fee||$4||When you have not used your card for a transaction within the last 12 months|
|Negative balance fee||$20||When a negative balance arises on your card|
|Closure/cash out fee||$10||When you close your card and withdraw funds from your account|
How to use the Travelex Cash Passport
Follow these steps to manage your Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport:
- Activating your card. Your card will generally be activated within two business hours of purchase and no action is required from you to activate it.
- Loading funds on your card. You may load funds on your card online via the Travelex or Cash Passport websites, in-store at participating Australian Travelex outlets or via bank transfer or BPAY. Note that loading funds via bank transfer generally takes one business day to process and loading funds via BPAY generally takes two, but payments made after 2pm AEST may take longer. Each load must be at least AUD$100 or equivalent, but not more than AUD$100,000 or equivalent. When loading by bank transfer or BPAY, your daily limit is AUD$25,000 or equivalent.
- Managing your online account. Head to the Cash Passport website and go to “My Account”. Simply register your card and you will be able to view your transaction history and balances, as well as allocate funds across different currencies.
What do I do if I return home with foreign currency remaining on my card?
You can either keep the funds on your card for your next trip, or close your card and withdraw your remaining funds through the Travelex distribution store or Mastercard Prepaid. Depending on which outlet you visit, your remaining funds will either be paid out to you in cash or deposited into your nominated bank account. A $10 fee will apply.
Who do I contact if my card is lost or stolen?
If your card is lost or stolen, immediately report it to Cash Passport Global Emergency Assistance by calling 1800 303 297 or +44 20 3284 8395 if overseas.
How to apply for a Travelex Cash Passport
The sale of the Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport card has been discontinued, although you can still use your card if you already have one. Otherwise, consider the Travelex Money Card, which is a similar new product now offered by Travelex.While the Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport offers the ease and usability of a Mastercard Prepaid travel card, it also comes with a number of associated costs that may offset any possible benefits. Check out and compare other travel card options to find the one that will best suit your personal travel needs.Back to top