Who else makes it so easy to get your travel money sorted? Compare travel money cards, international payments, and travel insurance with Travelex.
If it involves sending money overseas or spending money overseas, Travelex can help with everything from paying for an overseas property to giving you a card to use when you’re travelling. They have a simple online ordering process and hundreds of collection points all over the world.
This page provides an overview of Travelex and their travel money products so you can make a decision about using their products and services.
Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport
Travelex Travel Card
Load and hold up to 10 foreign currencies at a time. Make purchases in foreign currencies without paying for currency conversion. And pay nothing for international ATM withdrawals.
- Fixed exchange rate and withdrawal fees
- 24/7 emergency assistance
- Access wherever Mastercard is accepted
- PIN security
- Prepaid so you can manage your spending
Benefits and features of the Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport
- Preload up to 10 popular foreign currencies. The Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport is a prepaid card that can hold up to 10 foreign currencies. This lets you spend and withdraw in a loaded currency avoiding the 3.00% currency conversion fee. You can choose from the following currencies: AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, NZD, SGD, THB, USD.
- No international ATM fees. The fee for withdrawing from international ATMs is waived, which makes withdrawing from the ATM a little cheaper (the local ATM owner may still charge you to use the machine).
- Reload fee. Reloading value on the card will attract a fee of The greater of 1.1% of the initial load / reload amount or AU$15.00
- Fast activation. Cash passports are generally active and ready for use within 2 hours of purchase, allowing you to organise your travel money options quickly before leaving overseas.
- Free spare card. You will receive a second Cash Passport card free of charge for peace of mind in the event that your primary card is damaged, lost or stolen.
- Earn Qantas Points. Online foreign currency orders made with Travelex on the Qantas website earn Qantas Points. You will not earn Qantas Points when you order your foreign cash through Travelex, the promotion only applies when you make an order through the Qantas foreign currency online portal.
How to order the Travelex Multi-currency Cash Passport
You can get both foreign cash and the Cash Passport in-store or online. It’s a better option to organise your travel money online. It’s cheaper and you can order in advance. When you're ordering your card, whether online or in-store, you'll need to follow these steps:
- Choose your currencies. Choose your currency, punch in how much you want and review the foreign exchange rate. You can order a number of foreign currencies at a time, and you’re able to get a Cash Passport loaded and ready to use too.
- Find your nearest Travelex store. The next step lets you pick an airport or Travelex store to collect your order. After you enter your postcode, you can see where the closest Travelex outlet is, or you can choose to collect your foreign currency order from an airport and terminal. If you want to collect your cash or card from a ‘non-airport location’, you will need to allow three business days for your order to be ready. After you confirm the location of your order and the day you want to pick it up, you will need to pay.
- Pay for your order. You can pay for your order using your credit card or debit card, or you can make a BPAY payment. It’s free to pay with BPAY, but you need to order at least three days from when you want the order to be ready and you need to pay within 12 hours of confirming your order. Card payments are ready the next business day, but they attract a surcharge.
Travelex international payments service
Travelex international payments makes it easy to send money overseas. Pay for the purchase of an investment property, pay tuition fees or send some birthday cash to an overseas relative.
- Money can be sent to over 50 countries
- Choose from 48 different foreign currencies
- Live foreign exchange rates
- 24 hour (5 days a week) live operator support
- Regular payments, spot deals, forward contracts and limit orders available
How does it work?
Pay money to an international bank account using Travelex’s International Payment service. OFX provide the ‘infrastructure’ to process the payment, but the order is made on the Travelex website.
In three steps you can send funds to overseas bank accounts with the guarantee that you’ll get the best overall quote. Travelex will give you a better deal on international money transfers than their competitors.
Before you complete your international money transfer, make sure you know what you can and can't use money transfers for:
- Sending money
- Spot deals
- Forward contracts
- Limit orders
- Regular payments
- Currency transfers
- Cash transfers
- Transfers between accounts in the same currency
- Traveller’s cheques
- Bank drafts
The Travelex Price Promise
The Travelex price promise guarantees you the best deal on your international money transfer. If you can provide evidence of a better quote from a competitor, Travelex will go one better. There are a bunch of terms and conditions around the type of evidence you need to provide to Travelex to get the price promise, so make sure to read over the T&Cs before making a claim.
Travelex has a loyalty program called Travelex Rewards. This program gives you a discount on the commission charged by Travelex when you get your money exchanged at a Travelex store in Australia. It only benefits people who travel to Australia, India, Hong Kong, China, New Zealand and Japan. The following rewards are on offer:
|Australia||50% off commission when you exchange currencies at a Travelex store.|
|New Zealand||50% off commission when you exchange currencies at a Travelex store.|
|China||50% off commission when you exchange currencies at a Travelex store.|
|Hong Kong||Get a 1.00% improvement on the instore rate.|
|Japan||Get a 0.5% improvement on the instore rate.|
|India||50% off commission when you exchange currencies at a Travelex store.|
Travelex CoverMore International Travel Insurance
If you’re using Travelex to send money overseas, order a travel card or using their foreign exchange services, you may want to use Travelex to take out at international travel insurance policy too.
The CoverMore policy provides comprehensive cover for a number of events and can be taken out on a single trip on multi-trip basis. The policy provides cover for things like overseas medical and dental, lost luggage and travel documents, and rental car excess insurance. Check the Travelex website for further information and the terms and conditions of the policy. You can compare this policy against international travel insurance policies offered by other companies by filling out the following form.
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select your destination
Frequently asked questions about Travelex
You can ask us a question about Travelex’s travel money services using the form at the bottom of this page. But before you do, have a look at the FAQs section to see if you can find the answer to your question.
What other travel money services does Travelex offer?
- Getting a pre-paid SIM card, phone card or mobile credit recharge
- Western Union international money transfers
- Purchasing traveller's cheques
What are the limits if I buy travel money online.
The following limits apply to foreign currency and Travelex Cash Passport purchases made through the Travelex website.
- Purchase a minimum of $250 worth of foreign currency. This $250 minimum can be split between foreign cash orders and orders to load the Cash Passport with funds.
- The maximum amount you can order in a 24 hour period is $5,000. The maximum amount you can order in a 21 day period is $20,000.
How long before I can collect my order?
It depends on how you pay and where you plan to pick it up. If you’re on a tight schedule, the quickest way to pay an order is pay by a Visa or MasterCard debit or credit card and pick it up at a selected airport.
The below tables shows how long in advance you have to make your order.
|Location||Debit / Credit Card||BPAY|
|Airport||1 -21 business days before the intended collection date.||3 - 21 business days before the collection date.|
|Non-Airport||3 - 21 business days before the collection date.||5 - 21 days in advance of the collection date.|
Paying for your foreign currency order using BPAY
As well as paying for your order using your Visa or MasterCard credit card or debit card, you can also transfer the funds to Travelex using BPAY.
How do I find out the Travelex BPAY Biller Code?
When you complete your order for foreign currency, and you’ve selected BPAY as your payment option, you’ll be given instructions on how to make the BPAY payment. You have to make the payment within 12 hours of getting the quote to complete the order.
What happens if you make a payment 12 hours after you place your order?
If you’re paying with BPAY, you need to send Travelex the money within 12 hours of placing your order. If you send the funds within the 12 hour period, but after business hours, it may not be an issue. Travelex does reserve the right to cancel any foreign currency orders if the BPAY payment is not received within 12 hours. Order and pay your foreign currency before the close of the business to avoid any complications.