What better way to plan for a home renovation than with your always-accessible smartphone?
We’ve looked at the multitude of apps that are available for planning and completing your home renovation and found the 10 most popular apps available for both iOS and Android.
Apps that made the list had to be available through both Google Play and the Apple App store. Apps were required to have above 3 stars, and needed to have a minimum of 20 reviews to be considered. Both paid and free apps were considered equally.
Why mess about with notepads and documents when these apps can help you keep all your inspiration and design ideas in one place on one device? If you are out shopping for materials or furniture, you can pull out your phone and check the relevant app where you’ve saved your plans or ideas.
Top planning apps
This app allows you to plan out your future home or the renovation of your current home with 2D and 3D plans. The paid version gives you access to more furniture and editing features. Gold version for iOS gives you full access to available features for $14.99. Some features may only be available with the paid version or with extra purchase.
- Import plans
- Work in 3D or 2D
- Share via Dropbox
- Add and move furniture
Room Planner LE Home Design
Map out and plan your next home or that room you’ve always wanted to change. Measure rooms precise to ⅛ of an inch (3mm) with in-app Bluetooth laser measuring. Note: LE version does not save.
- Lay out all rooms with accurate measuring
- Play with materials, colours and textures before you build
- Design your whole house or just one room
Developed by Australian House & Garden magazine to assist with all your home and garden needs. Access quotes for services such as architects, builders, painters and landscapers.
- Send photos to get quotes for services
- Review the service after completion for other users
- Get a quick response for a quote
With augmented reality view and 3D walkthrough, Roomle is the future of floor-planning apps. Award-winning design app with access to hundreds of furniture and decoration items. Seperate virtual reality app in beta.
- Sketch using your finger
- Precisely adjust angles and dimensions
- Share your designs
- Augmented reality view
Quick Chippy contains a range of calculators for the local chippy or home handyman. Designed by a carpenter to help take the maths out of a building project. The Quick Chippy pack of 3 apps is also available for $10.99 on iOS.
- Easy to use for trained carpenters and DIY enthusiasts alike
- Range of calculators include stair and rafter calculators
- Have running measures in your hand
Save time and paper by taking photos of your rooms and annotating the images with dimensions. Now you can always have your room measurements with you when you are furniture shopping. Free version will watermark images when saved.
- Draw measurements on your photos
- Edit anytime
- Zoom in and out for precision
- Add comments for more info
- Export to PDF or JPG
Create a map of your home with measurements and angles just by taking pictures. Comes with the option to export to various programs. Need a device with a gyroscope for auto measures to work
- No need to measure
- Move furniture digitally before committing
- Simple to use for DIY enthusiasts
Home Design 3D Outdoor and Garden
Design and build your dream garden and outdoor entertaining area. With 3D viewability, you can get a more realistic image of your vision.
- Design your dream outdoor area in minutes
- Use the exact dimensions of your outdoor area
- Cancel and restore design ideas
Find a local tradie or any other worker you might need during your renovation. With thousands of people placing and answering adds daily know you can get what you need quickly.
- 100% free app and you only pay the person you choose to do your work
- All services are insured and you can view other peoples comments on any person before hiring them
- Australia wide Airtasker has someone for every area.
Create beautiful and realistic plans for your home or for that room you want to update. You can then choose the interior products that you want in the room and plan the design. iOS also has Bathroom Design 5D, Kitchen Design 5D, Bedroom Design 5D, Kids Room Design 5D and Office Design 5D.
- View and make screenshots in 2D as well as realistic 3D HD
- Share your designs with your social media contacts for feedback
- Alter a plan from the gallery or start from scratch to make it more personal
Planning apps - comparison table
|Android - 4.2 |
iOS - 4
| Room Planner|
|$12.95 (Android)||Android - 3.5 |
iOS - N/A
|Quick Quote||Android - 4.2 |
iOS - 5
|Roomle||Android - 4 |
iOS - 4
|Quick Chippy||$2.99 (Android)|
|Android - 4.5 |
iOS - 4.5
|Android - 4 |
iOS - 4
|MagicPlan||Android - 4.2 |
iOS - 4
|Android - 4.2 |
iOS - 4.5
|Airtasker||Android - 3.8 |
iOS - 4
|Planner 5D||Android - 4.3 |
iOS - 4
Interior design apps
If you’re looking for some interior design inspiration after you’ve completed that home renovation, these are two of the many apps available on both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
If you’re looking for inspiration or wanting to redesign your entire home, Houzz has plenty of options. It also comes with prices, so it’s easy to budget.
- Create idea boards for current and future design projects
- Chat to others looking to design to get ideas and inspiration
- Go from looking online to on the go with the same account
Homestyler Interior Design
Place design items and styles in your home before you commit. Use Homestyler as your fitting room for design ideas as well as finding inspiration from the many user-created pics available.
- Create your own profile to share your designs and ideas with other Homestylers
- Connect with professionals who can assist with your design projects
- Browse the huge selection of designs to get help and inspiration
Interior design apps - comparison table
Android - 4.2
iOS - 5 (Editor's Choice)
Android - 4.1
iOS - 4
Special mention apps
Some of the great apps out there are sometimes only available in either the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. Here are some we found.
All the apps a home builder or DIY enthusiast might need, including Rafter Help, Stair Help, Concrete Help, Flow Rate Help (Plumbing) and Trigonometry Help.
- Measure roof pitch, stair rise
- Work out the amount of concrete needed for a certain area
- Help with redoing or fixing any plumbing issues cause by flow problems
RoomScanner Pro LE Home Design (iOS)
Quickest and simplest way to create your home floor plan. Just tap your iPhone on each wall a few times and it will measure and draw it all itself.
- Measure to the nearest 10cm
- Rooms automatically connect to create floor plan
- Measurements available in metric and imperial.
DIY Renovation Advice (iOS)
Useful calculators and basic advice on renovation from around the world all in the palm of your hand. Easy-to-follow steps for renovating your bathroom or kitchen.
- Produced by experts with years of renovation experience
- Simple and easy to use for those with all levels of renovation experience
With their design ideas updated daily you can have different inspiration in a flash. Browse the design ideas as well as the DIY projects for your home renovation or just to mix it up in your already styled rooms.
- With 10 easy pieces product roundups and steal this look for your styling
- Refreshed daily stylish DIY projects
- Design ideas are separated by room for ease of use
- Save your favourite design ideas into your own personalised folders
Floor Plan Creator (Android)
Create your floor plan with ease and include furniture to make sure it fits. Have your designs and plans with you when you shop to check sizing and placement.
- Predefined room shapes or freestyle draw your own.
- Supports imperial and metric measurements
- Supports Leica Disto bluetooth laser meters.
Handyman Calculator (Android)
The app that has all the calculations a DIY handyman would need. Also includes a time tracker so you can tell if you will get your job done within the planned time frame.
- Multiple calculators and converters
- Save calculation results to a notepad
HandyMobi home improvement DIY (Android)
Plan, organise and implement that home DIY project you have been wanting to do. Includes a shopping list so that you can know what you need when you shop for materials.
- View step-by-step guides with pictures or videos
- Calculate cost of materials and trades
- Share your project and progress with friends and family
Handy Construction Calculator (Android)
Accurate and easy-to-use construction calculator. Includes metric and imperial inputs and outputs. Total of 70+ calculators that can be used by professionals and DIY enthusiasts.
- Easy to use all-in-one calculator for all construction needs
- Switch between imperial and metric measurements
- Built-in result sharing into email, text or copy/paste elsewhere.
Special mention apps - comparison table
If there are any apps you have tried out or you think we have skipped please contact us and let us know.