Telstra ranked fastest mobile network in Australia, but is it a good deal?
Telstra customers are getting faster speeds than both Optus and Vodafone users with 4G and 5G Australia-wide, based on the latest Speedtest data.
It's official: Telstra is Australia's fastest mobile network, clocking in at a speed score of 102.55Mbps.
These results come from the latest round of Speedtest awards by Ookla, a popular website for users to test their connection speeds. The awards are based on nearly 1.5 million speed tests conducted across Australia over the past 6 months.
Despite Telstra's speed, not everyone on Australia's largest network is getting the same experience. Brisbane residents were smiling with slightly faster network speeds of 107.3Mbps, while Melbournians were stuck at just 88.77Mbps.
These speed scores don't directly translate to downloads, they're calculated with a statistical method that incorporates upload speeds, as well. But a higher score does mean a generally faster connection.
So we know Telstra is fast, but is it a good deal?
How does Telstra compare?
Already wearing the crown for Australia's largest mobile network, Telstra now has fastest under its belt too. But when you buy a mobile plan, price matters too.
Here's how Telstra's 80GB plan compares to similar options from Australia's other major providers, Optus and Vodafone.
|Plan||Upfront Mobile Plan Medium||Medium Choice Plus Plan||Lite+ Infinite Plan|
|Included data||80GB||80GB||30GB (+50GB ongoing promotional data)|
|Is 5G available?||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Network coverage (% of Australians)||99.5%||98.5%||96%|
As you can see, you'll pay a premium for Telstra's blazing-fast speeds – $10 more than Optus every month and $20 more than Vodafone.
If you're after pure data-per-dollar value, Telstra won't be the cheapest.
That being said, Telstra throws in some extra benefits with its plans to try and justify its pricing.
What do I get with a Telstra mobile plan?
On top of unlimited national talk and text and your plan's data inclusions, Telstra Upfront mobile plans offer:
- Access to Australia's largest network, reaching 99.5% of the population for 3G/4G and 75% of the population for 5G (the widest coverage according to the latest Opensignal report).
- Potential 5G network access (on all but its $55 plan).
- No excess data charges when you hit your limit. Instead, your download speeds will be capped at 1.5Mbps until the next month.
- Data sharing between up to 10 Upfront or mobile broadband plans on the same account.
- Unlimited international SMS and 30 minutes of overseas calls per month.
- Data-free sports streaming on the AFLW Live app.
- Free Disney Plus subscription for 12 months (on all but its $55 plan).
The bottom line
Telstra has a lot of things going for it: Australia's largest and fastest mobile network, the widest 5G network coverage in the country, and a bunch of plan perks thrown in when you sign up.
But if money is top of mind for you, you may want to compare your options to find one that suits your needs.
Compare mobile plans to find the right deal for you today.