Media Release

The suburbs on Santa’s ‘nice’ list for the NBN

  • 152,800 premises across 117 suburbs will become NBN-ready just in time for Christmas
  • Majority of addresses ‘activated’ over the Christmas break will be in New South Wales
  • finder.com.au launches broadband plan comparison tool that shows available NBN plans

12 December 2016, Sydney, Australia – Australians Ho Ho Hoping for high-speed internet for Christmas might just be in luck, according to finder.com.au, Australia’s most visited comparison website1.

Research by finder.com.au reveals 152,800 premises, across 117 Australian suburbs, will become NBN-ready over the Christmas week.

The last roll-out of 2016 will see the majority of premises connected in New South Wales, accounting for 31% of new connections between December 23 to 31.

In second place is South Australia where 35,800 premises (23%) will be connected to the NBN over Christmas.

The most new customers can be found in Wallaroo and North Beach in South Australia with Santa flicking the NBN switch for 4,800 homes and businesses.

Mermaid Waters and Clear Island Waters in Queensland are next in line, with 4,500 premises NBN-ready by New Year’s Eve.

Alex Kidman, telco expert at finder.com.au, says some Aussies would love nothing more than getting the NBN for Christmas.

“The wait is over for over 150,000 households and businesses this Christmas as they are expected to gain faster internet in the final days of 2016. For some, the NBN is still years away and they might feel like they’ve been delivered a digital lump of coal,” he says.

To date, 1,570,721 premises nationally have activated the NBN, representing 44% of the 3.5 million homes and lots that are NBN-ready2. The remaining 56% of homes and businesses are yet to make the switch to an NBN service.

StateNumber of premisesPercentage of new Christmas rollouts
NSW46,70031%
SA35,80023%
QLD26,00017%
VIC24,60016%
WA19,70013%
Total152,800

(source: finder.com.au)

Top 10 Towns/Suburbs by number of premises connected

AreaStateNumber of premises
1Wallaroo, North BeachSA4,800
2Mermaid Waters, Clear Island WatersQLD4,500
3Wagga Wagga, Turvey ParkNSW4,300
4RyeVIC4,000
5Rockingham, PeronWA3,900
6Enfield, Northfield, ClearviewSA3,600
6Mawson LakesSA3,600
8Raymond TerraceNSW3,500
8Kadina, New Town, Wallaroo Mines, JerusalemSA3,500
10Mount Nasura, ArmadaleWA3,400

(source: finder.com.au)

“If you don’t have it yet the NBN should definitely be on your radar. In many cases it’ll mean a

smoother Netflix experience and faster browsing,” says Mr Kidman. “While it’s taking its time, the reality is that the NBN will eventually encompass all Australians, replacing not only your broadband but also your phone line.”

“For businesses the benefits of the NBN are particularly important as it’ll open the door to increased communication speed, additional markets and being able to compete on the world stage without being hampered by last century’s broadband infrastructure.”

To help Aussies understand what options are available to them,finder.com.au has launched a broadband plan comparison tool: the only service which shows available NBN plans for NBN-ready premises. Visit www.finder.com.au/broadband-plans and enter your home or work address to find out what plans are available to you.

1Experian Hitwise since 2015
2nbn co rollout metrics as of 1 December 2016

###

For further information

Disclaimer

The information in this release is accurate as of the date published, but rates, fees and other product features may have changed. Please see updated product information on finder.com.au's review pages for the current correct values.

About us

More than 3 million Australians turn to finder.com.au every month to save money, time and make important life choices. We compare virtually everything from credit cards, phone plans, health insurance, travel deals and much more.

Our free service is 100% independently-owned by two Australians: Fred Schebesta and Frank Restuccia. Since launching in 2006, we’ve helped our users make more than 17 million decisions.

We continue to expand and launch around the globe, and now operate in the United States and United Kingdom. For further information visit www.finder.com.au.

Ask a question
Go to site