One card, many places: stick to your budget next holiday with the Jetstar Travel Card
|Available Currencies||AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, NZD, SGD, USD|
|Multiple Currencies on One Card||Yes|
|Number of Cards Issued||2|
|Minimum Load Amount||$100|
|Maximum Load Amount||$25,000|
|Maximum Annual Load Amount||$50,000|
|24 Hour ATM Cash Withdrawal Limit||$1,500|
|24 Hour POS Transaction Limit||$10,000|
|Card Issue Fee||$0|
|Initial Load Fee||$15|
|ATM Withdrawal Fee||AUD 3.95**, CAD 3.95, EUR 3.00, GBP 2.75, HKD 35.00, JPY 325, NZD 5.50, SGD 5.00, US 3.95|
|Currency Conversion Fee||3%|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
What currencies can you use with this card?
- Australian Dollars (AUD)
- Euro (EUR)
- New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
- Singapore Dollar (SGD)
- Japanese Yen (JPY)
- Great British Pound (GBP)
- US Dollars (USD)
- Canadian Dollar (CAD)
- Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)
Where can you use the card?
- Wherever your loaded currencies are accepted. The beauty of a travel card is that you can spend in a foreign currency while avoiding the fees for currency conversion. If you use a travel card to spend in a currency not already loaded onto the card, you will be charged a fee for currency conversion. The Jetstar Travel Card has a currency conversion fee of 3%. While this fee is in line with most personal finance products, spending in a currency not supported by the Jetstar Travel Card can limit the benefits of this travel money product.
- Wherever MasterCard is accepted. The Jetstar Travel Card can be used wherever MasterCard is accepted. This is in millions of places all over the world. This includes MasterCard PayPass terminals for contactless payments.
- Currency order. This is the order foreign currencies are debited when there is an insufficient amount of a particular currency to cover the cost of the transaction.
The JetStar Travel Card default currency order is as follows:
- Australian Dollars (AUD)
- US Dollars (USD)
- Euros (EUR)
- Great British Pounds (GBP)
- New Zealand Dollars (NZD)
- Hong Kong Dollars (HKD)
- Singapore Dollars (SGD)
- Canadian Dollars (CAD)
- Japanese Yen (JPY)
How much will the Jetstar Travel Card cost me?
Fees and charges
- Are there any charges to open the account? The Jetstar Travel Card doesn’t cost you anything to get, but there is an initial load fee of AUD$15. There may also be a fee of AUD$25 if you’re required to have your identity verified at Australia Post. However, in most cases you should be able to complete the Jetstar Travel Card identity verification online.
- Are there any costs to reload the card? Once you’re up and running with your Jetstar Travel Card and you want to reload the card with more funds, there is a reload fee of 1% each time you do this.
- What costs are there to make purchases and withdrawals? Unlike some travel cards, the Jetstar Travel Card does not charge a fee when you make an EFTPOS purchase. There are fees for ATM withdrawals. The ATM withdrawal fee varies depending on the currency you’re withdrawing.
After reloading your card, you can start converting the AUDs to other preferred currencies and doing so will be free for all the 8 supported currencies. You can still use the card in countries whose currencies are not supported, but a conversion fee will apply. Such charges will be deducted from the balance that you will be having in your card. Please refer to the table below for the fees applicable, stated in Australian dollars.
|Card issue fee||$0|
|First load fee||$15|
|Switching between available currencies||Free|
|Call centre operator fee||$7.50|
|Card replacement fee|
|Refund processing fee||$10|
|Currency conversion fee||3% of transaction amount and third party fees|
Please see below fees that are applicable to ATM activity with the Jetstar Travel Card. Fees are stated in its currency of origin.
ATM withdrawal fee: AUD 3.95**, CAD 3.95, EUR 3.00, GBP 2.75, HKD 35.00, JPY 325, NZD 5.50, SGD 5.00, US 3.95
By getting a Jetstar Travel Card, you can avoid some charges like card issue fee, monthly fees, monthly card inactive charges, web purchase fee, transaction reversal fee, pin reset fee and website balance enquiry charges. Other fees that you can limit include those charged on SMS alerts and calling call centre.
When making withdrawals or purchases from merchants, you may get a prior notice on the charges to expect, but there are situations where this may not happen. It is also important to know that there are overseas ATMs where you cannot make balance enquiries.Back to top
Why should you consider this card? The features and benefits explained
Pros and cons
- Load up to nine currencies. The Jetstar Travel Card allows you to load and spend in up to nine different foreign currencies. This gives you more choice than some other travel money cards which only allow you to load a lesser number of currencies.
- Budget. When you transfer money between currency wallets, the exchange rate is locked in at the time of the transfer. Go on your holiday knowing exactly how much you have to spend and when you need to top up your card.
- Fees. Watch out for fees like the call centre operator assistance fee. This is a fee of $7.50 and is charged if you need to speak to customer assistance about your travel card. Another fee to consider is the refund processing fee ($10.00) if you want to claim money off your card when you want to close the account.
- No Jetstar Dollars. Other airline travel money card providers let you earn frequent flyer points when you spend. For example, Qantas Cash lets you load and hold multiple foreign currencies and you can earn Qantas Points when you make an eligible purchase on the card. The Jetstar Travel Card does not reward you with Jetstar Dollars when you make an eligible purchase.
How flexible is my card?
- Transferring funds between currencies. You can easily transfer money between currency wallets using the Jetstar Travel Card online customer portal.
- Locked-in rate. The exchange rate is locked in at the time you transfer funds between currencies.
- Reclaiming unused funds. When you get back home, you can close the account and request any unused funds be sent to you via an electronic funds transfer.
Getting your card
Ordering a card
Ordering a Jetstar Travel Card is simple and can be completed online. You will need to provide some basic personal information including your name, address and contact information. You’re then required to verify your identity. This can be done online; however, you may be required to head to an Australia Post retail outlet if you don’t meet the online identity verification standards. There may be a fee for the Australia Post identity verification process.
Pick-up or delivery?
Following your successful submission of the Jetstar Travel Card online application form, you should get your card in the post within seven - 10 business days. In some instances, you may be required to verify your identity at Australia Post. If this is the case, it may take longer to receive your card.
After you’ve activated your Jetstar Travel Card, you need to load it with funds before you can start spending. There is a fee when you load the card for the first time.
- BPAY Payment. You can make a BPAY payment to load funds onto the card. Funds can take up to three days to clear when you make a BPAY payment to your Jetstar Travel Card. You must load Australian dollars before you can convert funds to a foreign currency.
Activating your card
Activating your Jetstar Travel Card is simple. Once you receive your Jetstar Travel Card, you can activate the travel money card by entering the card number, your date of birth and your CCV number (the three-digit number on the back of the card) on the Jetstar Travel Card website.Back to top
Frequently Asked Questions
Which button do I press when I want to use the card to make a purchase or withdraw cash?
If you want to use the Jetstar travel card to make a purchase over-the-counter or to make a withdrawal at an ATM, press ‘CREDIT’ when prompted to complete the transaction.
How do I check my Jetstar Travel Card balance and view recent transactions?
Register and login to the Jetstar Travel Card customer portal to conveniently manage your account online. You can set a username and password for the customer portal when you activate your Jetstar Travel Card.
You can use this Jetstar Travel Card feature to check how much money you’ve got left on your card and you can manage the funds in the different currency wallets.
The Jetstar Travel Card customer portal allows you to complete the following:
- Exchange money from one currency to another
- View your travel card balance
- Change your travel card PIN
- Set up automatic SMS alerts and reminders
- Block and unblock your card
- Manage your personal and contact information
What if I don’t have enough money in a currency wallet to pay for a purchase or a withdrawal?
If you want to make a transaction using your Jetstar Travel Card and you don’t have enough money in a foreign currency wallet, money will be debited from the next currency wallet in the default currency order. See the section above for information about the default currency order. The money is exchanged at the MasterCard retail exchange rate at the time and a currency conversion fee may be charged on the transaction.
Why has one of my transactions been declined?
There are a couple of reasons why a transaction may be declined. Contact a Jetstar Travel Card customer service representative (a fee may be charged for this service) once you’ve double checked the following:
- Make sure your card has been activated
- Make sure you’ve selected a PIN
- Make sure you have enough money to cover the transaction
- The merchant does not accept travel cards
- Your card is blocked
- Your card is damaged
How often are the exchange rates updated?
Exchange rates are updated multiple times throughout the day. You can view the latest exchange rates for travel money products on the MasterCard website.