Did you know that you can use PayPal to quickly and easily transfer money overseas? We show you how.
PayPal is a well-known, digital payments company. Owned by eBay Inc., PayPal offers a fast and safe way to send money online.
Having been established in 1998, PayPal has been offering its services in Australia since 2005. The company processes some 9.3 million payments every day, and it has more than 150 million active account holders worldwide. Trading in 100 currencies and across more than 200 markets, PayPal also boasts in excess of five million active customer accounts in Australia.
Using a money transfer can be cheaper than using Paypal
Speak to a FX expert
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options. Our foreign exchange experts offer a best rate guarantee, are ASIC authorised and never charge transfer fees.
They can help you with all your needs including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
Though perhaps best known for its ease of use when making purchases from online merchants, PayPal also makes it easy to send money overseas. PayPal’s service is fast and secure, though the company’s fee structure means this service is best used for transferring smaller amounts, usually up to a maximum of a few hundred dollars.
PayPal exchange rates
PayPal generally offers slightly better exchange rates than Australia’s ‘big four’ banks. However, in most cases, its exchange rates aren’t as high as those offered by specialist money transfer services. See the comparison table below to determine how PayPal’s rates stack up against the competition.
|$1 AUD in||PayPal||Westpac||TorFX|
* Rates accurate up to 26 Sep 2016
Whenever you wish to send money overseas with PayPal, you can see the conversion rate that applies when you lodge your transaction. PayPal adjusts its rates frequently to stay in line with market conditions.
How much does it cost to transfer money with PayPal?
It’s free to sign up for a PayPal account. However, as well as exchange rates, you’ll also need to take fees into account when transferring funds. The fees which apply when you send money via PayPal depends on where your money is going and whether the transaction is funded from your PayPal balance, bank account or credit card. Fees are charged based on a percentage of the money you are transferring.
|Where are you sending money?||If transaction is funded by your PayPal balance or bank account||If any part of your transaction is funded by Credit Card|
|Brazil||1%||7.4% + fixed fee|
|Canada||1%||3.9% + fixed fee|
|China||0.5%||3.9% + fixed fee|
|Hong Kong||0.5%||3.9% + fixed fee|
|Singapore||0.5%||3.9% + fixed fee|
|Taiwan||0.5%||3.9% + fixed fee|
|US||1%||3.9% + fixed fee|
|Germany||3.3%||5.2% + fixed fee|
|Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, France||1.8%||5.2% + fixed fee|
|Poland||2%||4.9% + fixed fee|
|Other European countries||1.5%||4.9% + fixed fee|
|All other countries||0.5%||3.9% + fixed fee|
Minimum transfer amount and available countries
As PayPal is widely used for small payments, the minimum you can transfer in AUD is $0.03. PayPal is also available across 100 currencies around the world.
PayPal is available in 203 countries, a list of which can be found on the company’s website. While no such list exists of countries excluded from PayPal international money transfers, you won’t be able to use PayPal to send money to places like Afghanistan, Burma, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Syria or Sudan.
What types of transfers can you carry out with PayPal?
PayPal is designed to take care of one-off transfers when you need to send money to someone. While it is possible to set up regular scheduled transfers, this will incur a fee. Other transfer options, such as forward contracts or limit orders, are not available. Your PayPal account is linked to your bank account, which is how you can access the funds you receive and withdraw them.
If you need customer support, PayPal has a well-organised Online Help Centre. However, you can also phone or email the company with any queries you may have.
How to transfer money from your bank account to PayPal
- Log into your PayPal account
- Click "Add money" under your PayPal balance
- Select the bank account you want to transfer from, enter the amount to transfer and click "Add".
- The expected clearing date is 2-3 business days depending your bank.
The registration and transfer process
Both you and your recipient will need a PayPal account, but these are quick, easy and free to sign up for. You’ll need to provide:
- Your email address
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Linked bank account or credit card details
Once you’ve signed up and logged in, click on the ‘Send Money’ tab in your account overview. Enter the email address or phone number of the person you are sending money to, the amount you wish to send and the reason for the transaction. You’ll then be shown the fees and exchange rate which will apply, before being given the opportunity to review your transaction and then click ‘Send Money’.
The entire process is relatively straightforward and the money typically arrives within minutes.
What are the pros and cons of using PayPal?
- Better exchange rates than banks. PayPal’s exchange rates are typically a little better than those offered by the ‘big four’ banks.
- Fast. Your money arrives within minutes.
- Secure. PayPal transactions are protected by state-of-the-art security technology.
- Great for small transactions. PayPal’s fee structure is perfect for sending smaller amounts of money.
- Large fees for large amounts. The fee you have to pay for international money transfers is based on the amount of money you send.
- Exchange rates could be better. You’ll typically be able to find better exchange rates with money transfer companies.
What other products and services does PayPal offer?
PayPal offers a variety of products and services to customers, including:
- Online shopping. You can use PayPal to checkout faster at tens of thousands of online and mobile stores.
- Business solutions. PayPal allows business to accept payments from credit cards, debit cards, linked bank accounts and PayPal accounts online.
- PayPal Here App and Chip and PIN card reader. These services allow you to accept payments on the go.
Frequently asked questions
Is PayPal available for non-residents?
What’s their refund/ dispute handling process?
PayPal has a detailed dispute resolution process in place to ensure that you can send money successfully.
Is PayPal suitable for small businesses?
Yes, it’s simple to open up a business account with PayPal.
Is there an app available to conduct transfers?
The PayPal app only allows you to send money within Australia.
How can I check my balance?
This can be easily done by logging into your account online or through the smartphone app.
If you’re looking to transfer no more than a few-hundred dollars overseas, PayPal could be the best money transfer option for you. However, compare PayPal’s fees and exchange rates with those of banks and money transfer companies to ensure you end up with a great deal.
- Global Transfer Partners international money exchange
- Small Exchange: Dollar-bloc currencies, India’s forex dips and Macquarie Bank’s misconduct
- Sable International can assist with private and corporate international money transfer solutions
- Small Exchange: Turkey regulating foreign exchange, rates improving in PNG and G7 leaders maintain forex stance
- Small Exchange: China’s forex reserves surge higher, the Euro reacts to French election and unlicensed Kuwaiti exchange bureaus