Back to school stationery essentials for 2021
Give your kids a reason to be excited about heading back to school with fun and colourful new stationery.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From funky pencil cases to novelty notebooks, picking out new stationery can get kids invested in heading back to school for another year. With a range of retailers to choose from, you can find the perfect back-to-school stationery to put a smile on their faces and make getting them back into school-mode a little easier.
If you're on a tight budget and can't afford anything fancy, that's okay. There are loads of deals out there that offer impressive value for money while still letting your child keep up with the latest trends.
Shopping for back to school stationery
If you've been too busy these school holidays to make a list of your child's stationery needs for the year ahead, we've got you covered. Whether you're shopping for essentials, or just something fun for a little added motivation this school year, check out our top picks:
Fairy Soft Cover Pencil Case
Shark Hardcover Pencil Case
Large Double Zipper Pencil Case
Cute Cat School Pencil Case
Poke Ball Pencil Case Holder
ProCase Two Layers Big Capacity Pencil Pouch
Emoji Smile Canvas Pencilcase
Fur Ball Pencil Case
Anker Captain America Pencil case
MOO Hardcover Notebook
MOO Softcover Journal
Fluffy Panda S2 Notebooks
A5 Fluffy Unicorn Notebook
Fluffy Narwhal S2 Notebooks
Set Of 2 8X10 Notebooks
S&P X Disney Notebook Mickey Leo Blue A5
S&P X Disney Notebook Mickey Pearl A5
A4 Spiral Sketch Pad
Pens, pencils and more
Crayola! Take Note 6 Pack Washable Gel Pens
Crayola Take Note! 6 Pack Erasable Highlighters
Paper Crane 5 Pack Slim Ballpoint Pens - Pink & Lilac
Typo Mega Pen Pack
Typo Essential Pen Pack
Typo Erasable Multi Pen
Scribbles Stationery Colouring Pencils 12-Pack - Multi
Scentco Smencils Scented Coloured Pencils 10-Pack
Crayola Triangular Coloured Pencils 48-Pack
Dymo LetraTag 100H Handheld Labeller
Paper Crane A3 Weekly Planner Pad
Alphabet Ink Stamp Set
Typo Small Foldable Storage Crate
Typo Pen Holder
Personalised Kids' Name Labels 48-Pack
Maped Foldable Plastic Ruler
Paperchase Ombre Erasers X 2
Hunter Studio Washi Tapes - 16 Rolls
Stationery buying guide
Follow these simple steps to find useful stationery that your kids will love:
- Choose colourful items. Kids are attracted to bright colours, so choose stationery that features cartoon characters or their favourite colour. It will help them easily distinguish between notebooks for different classes and might even encourage them to do their homework!
- Get quality items. Purchase products that will last at least a year. This will ensure that your child's schooling won't be interrupted by broken spiral notebooks or pencil cases.
- Choose simple, useful items. Minimise the amount of stationery your child has to carry by shopping items like 4-colour pens, and make their lives easier by grabbing a binder to help keep all their notebooks together.
- Find a reputable shop. There are countless retailers that sell stationery, so look for ones that offer a combination of affordability, style and quality. The amount you need to shell out for pencils, notebooks and staplers can start to add up, so you want items that will give you your money's worth.
Stationery for primary school
Even in their early schooling years, your child will need a set of stationery that will take them from colouring-in to improving their writing skills. Here are some handy hints for the best stationery to suit their first few years:
- It will take some time before kids start learning to write with pens, so ensure they're stocked up with a range of pencils. Getting a multi-pack of colourful pencils will help bring out their creative side. Don't forget to grab an eraser or two so they can learn from their mistakes.
- Learning to write can be a challenging task. Make life easy by purchasing A4 notepads to give your child more room to improve.
- Kids will likely be doing a lot of cutting and pasting throughout their primary years. Keep little fingers safe with a pair of safety scissors and save some cash by buying glue sticks in bulk.
Stationery for high school
The further your child progresses through their schooling, the more their stationery needs will grow. Ensure they have everything they need by bearing these things in mind:
- Note-taking will be a huge part of your child's day-to-day workload, so make sure they have plenty of pens to keep the ink flowing. While their days of colouring-in are long gone, pencils are still needed for some subjects such as art and design and technology. Double-check their schedule with them before the year starts so they can start their classes with the right equipment.
- Another staple item they will fly through in no time is notebooks. Buy these in bulk because you know they'll forget to tell you that they're running low until the very last minute.
- The further into their mathematics studies they progress, the more your kids will need a calculator. Get value for money by ensuring they're set with a good scientific calculator that will see them through to graduation (don't forget to stock up on batteries).
Main image: Getty Images
Best deals on stationery
Popular Back to school - stationery coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|28 Dec 2020||FREE returns for all orders within Australia||********|
|13 May 2020||FREE home delivery on orders over $45||********|
|18 Jan 2021||$20 off when you sign up||********|
|24 Jul 2019||Free shipping||********|
|24 Jul 2019||Buy stationary and gifts||********|
More guides on Finder
Cute Halloween costume ideas for 2021
If you’re not into the blood and gore, try one of these adorable Halloween costumes instead.
Top craft ideas to keep kids entertained in isolation
Self-isolating with kids? We've rounded up 30 great craft ideas from Pinterest to help keep them entertained.
Where to buy cheap home schooling tech
Need a new laptop or tablet to help with home schooling? These are the best places to buy online.
Best places to travel in February 2021
5 holiday destinations that should to spend a few days to a week in this February.
January jitters: 70% of Aussies stressed by the new year
New research by Finder shows that 70% of Aussies are experiencing New Year stress. Debt, household bills and back-to-school costs are some of the biggest bugbears. Find out how to reduce the cost of school supplies.
Best places to visit in October 2021
Our top five Australia destinations to spend the middle of spring in. Plus, the best destinations to visit in Europe, USA, Asia and more for future travels.
Get 65% Off: Bright Star Kids Promo Codes January 2021
Make school and home life easy and fun with Bright Star Kids fabulous range of products. Create personalised gifts that are colourful and durable and save money with Bright Star Kids’ promo codes.
The best highchairs in Australia for 2021
Safe, durable and easy to clean, these highchairs will help ease mealtime stress.
School holiday activities in Newcastle for 2021
We’ve got the lowdown on the best activities to keep everyone happy throughout the upcoming school holidays.
School holiday activities in Hobart for 2021
Entertain your kids on a budget with these things to do in Hobart during the school holiday break.
Ask an Expert