Back to school stationery essentials for 2020
Give your kids a reason to be excited about heading back to school with fun and colourful new stationery.
From funky pencil cases to novelty notebooks, picking out new stationery can get kids invested in heading back to school for another year. With a range of retailers on offer, you can find the perfect back-to-school stationery to put a smile on their faces and make getting them back into school-mode a little easier.
If you're on a tight budget and can't afford designer gear, that's okay. There are loads of deals out there that offer impressive value for money while still letting your child keep up with the latest trends.
Shopping for back to school stationery
If you've been too busy these school holidays to make a list of your child's stationery needs for the year ahead, we've got you covered. Whether you're shopping for essentials, or just something fun for a little added motivation this school year, check out our top product picks:
Ellie Pencil Case
Santa Cruz Bone Slasher Pencil Case
Paperchase Mermaid Scales Triple Pencil Case
MOR Destination New York Pencil Case
Lucid Ballpark Jumbo Case
Paperchase Black Nylon Multi Pencil Case
Unit Nightfall Pencil Case
Shark Pencil Case
Glitter Moulded Pencil Case
Yes Studio A5 Notebook Assorted
Typo Personalised A6 Buffalo Journal
Paper Crane Bucket List Journal
A5 Ruled Notebook with 1 Pen
Paper Crane 3 Pack A4 Notebooks
Pens, pencils and textas
Sharpie 18 Piece Pencil Case Gift Pack
2 x Penline Manhattan Blue Ink Ball Point Pens 4-Pack
Paper Crane 90 Pack Coloured Pencils
Papermate Kilometric Pens Variety Pack
Complete Paint Drawing Colouring Set - 72 pcs
Faber-Castell Connector Pen Cube - 48 Pack
Unicorn Pom Pom Pen
Faber-Castell 12 Pack Tri-Grip Colour Pencils
Crayola Safety Scissors
Typo Take Charge Laptop Cover 13 inch - Mint
A4 Narwhal Sketchpad
Jastek CS2 EVO Scientific Calculator
Elmer's All Purpose School Glue Sticks 6g - 2 pack
Typo Hydrator Drink Bottle - Map
Typo Take Charge Laptop Cover 13 inch - Black and Rich Tan
Typo Novelty Usb 16gb - Avocado
Stationery buying guide
Follow these simple steps to find useful stationery your kids will love:
- Choose colourful items. Kids are attracted to bright colours, so choose stationery that features cartoon characters or their favourite colour. It will help them easily distinguish between notebooks for different classes and might even encourage them to do their homework!
- Get quality items. Purchase products that will last at least a year. This will ensure your child's schooling won't be interrupted by broken spiral notebooks or pencil cases.
- Choose simple, useful items. Minimise the amount of stationery your child has to carry by shopping items like 4-colour pens and make their lives easier by grabbing a binder to help keep all of their notebooks together.
- Find a reputable shop. There are countless retailers that sell stationery, so look for one that provides a combination of affordability, style and quality. The amount you need to shell out for pencils, notebooks and staplers can start to add up, so you want items that will give you your money's worth.
Stationery for primary school
Even in their early schooling years, your child will need a set of stationery that will take them from colouring in to improving their writing skills. Here are some handy hints for the best stationery to suit their first few years:
- It will take some time before kids start learning to write with pens, so ensure they're stocked up with a range of pencils. Getting a multi-pack of colourful pencils will help bring out their creative side. Don't forget to grab an eraser or two so they can learn from their mistakes.
- Learning to write can be a challenging task. Make life easy by purchasing A5 notepads to give your child more room to improve.
- Kids will likely be doing a lot of cutting and pasting throughout their primary years. Keep little fingers safe with a pair of safety scissors and save some cash by buying glue sticks in bulk.
Stationery for high school
The further through schooling your child progresses, the more their stationery needs will grow. Ensure they have everything they need by bearing these things in mind:
- Note-taking will be a huge part of your child's day to day workload, so make sure they have plenty of pens to keep the ink flowing. Whilst their days of colouring-in are long gone, pencils are still needed for some subjects such as art or design technology. Double check their schedule with them before the year starts so they can start their classes with the right equipment.
- Another staple item they will fly through in no time is notebooks. Buy them in bulk because you know they'll forget to tell you that they're running low until the very last minute.
- The further into mathematics studies they progress, the more kids are increasingly reliant on calculators. Get value for money by ensuring they're set with a good scientific calculator that will see them through to graduation (don't forget to stock up on batteries).
Best deals on stationery
Popular Back to school - stationery coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|25 Oct 2019||FREE returns for all orders within Australia||********|
|13 May 2020||FREE home delivery on orders over $45||********|
|9 Sep 2019||$20 off when you sign up||********|
|24 Jul 2019||Free shipping||********|
|27 Nov 2018||20% off first purchase when you sign up||********|
Main image: Getty
Ask an Expert