Lock in exchange rates and spend in 10 currencies with the Multi-currency Cash Passport from Australia Post.
Whether you’re travelling overseas or shopping online with foreign merchants, the Australia Post Multi-currency Cash Passport could help you save on currency conversion fees. You can load the card with Australian dollars which you can then transfer to nine supported foreign currencies. The card has locked in exchange rates, no transaction fees for purchases or withdrawals and comes with 24/7 emergency assistance.
|Available Currencies||AUD, USD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, NZD, SGD, THB|
|Multiple Currencies on One Card?||Yes|
|Number of Cards Issued||2|
|Minimum Load Amount||$100|
|Maximum Load Amount||$100,000|
|Maximum Load Amount (Annual)||$100,000|
|24 Hour ATM Cash Withdrawal Limit||$3,000|
|24 Hour Purchase (POS) Transaction Limit||$15,000|
|Card Issue Fee||$0|
|Initial Load Fee||$0|
|ATM Withdrawal Fee||Overseas: $0|
|Inactivity Fee (Monthly)||$4|
|Transaction Fee (for Purchases)||$0|
|Currency Conversion Fee||5.95%|
|BPAY Reload Fee||1% of the reload amount|
|Negative Balance Fee||$20|
|Account Closing Fee||$10|
|Available to Temporary Residents?||No|
What currencies can I load on the Multi-currency Cash Passport card?
The Multi-currency Cash Passport supports 10 international currencies including:
- Australian dollars
- New Zealand dollars
- United States dollars
- Canadian dollars
- Great British pound
- Thai Baht
- Singapore dollar
- Hong Kong dollar
- Japanese Yen
What if I make a purchase in a foreign currency that isn't loaded or supported on the card?
If you make a purchase in a foreign currency that isn't supported or loaded on the card, you'll be charged a currency conversion fee of 5.95% of the transaction value. The funds will be taken from the first loaded currency wallet in your default currency order.
Features of the Australia Post Multi-currency Cash Passport card
- Locked in exchange rates. When you move funds into one of the supported currency wallets, it will be locked in at the exchange rate that's in place at the time. This means that your travel card balance won't change as exchange rates fluctuate, helping you stick to your budget.
- ATM withdrawals. You can use this card to withdraw cash wherever Mastercard is accepted. While the card doesn't charge international ATM withdrawal fees, local ATM fees may apply.
- Secondary card. You'll receive an additional card for free which can be used as a backup in case your primary card is lost or stolen.
- Online account. The card comes with an online account which you can use to view your balances and transaction history, top up your account balance and transfer funds to supported currencies. You can also use the online account to find your closest Mastercard ATM locations.
- 24/7 global emergency assistance. If your card is lost, damaged or stolen, you can find the contact details on the Australia Post Cash Passport website. The contact numbers are different depending on where you're calling from.
How much does the card cost?
This card doesn't charge an initial purchase fee, but some of the costs you can expect when using the card include:
|Type of fee||Cost||When you'll be charged|
|Reload fee||$5||When you load funds on your card after the initial load.|
|Domestic ATM withdrawal fee||2.95% of the amount withdrawn||There are no international ATM withdrawal fees, so you'll be charged this fee if you use the card for domestic withdrawals.|
|Currency conversion fee||5.95%||If you spend in a foreign currency that isn't supported or loaded on the card.|
|Negative balance fee||$20||If your card falls into a negative balance|
|Monthly inactivity fee||$4 per month||If you haven't made any transactions on the account in the previous 12 months.|
|Cash out fee||$10||If you opt to cash out the remainder of your balance.|
How to apply for the Multi-currency Cash Passport?
If you've compared your options and decided this is the right travel card for you, you can order the card online or purchase it in store at Australian Post. If you purchase your card online, it'll take between five to seven days to arrive. Once you've received your card, you'll need to register it online or by calling 1800 098 231 and following the prompts.
The Australia Post Cash Passport card is a convenient travel money option for cardholders looking to avoid ATM withdrawal fees and spend in multiple currencies. As there are many Multi-currency Cash Passports and travel cards on the market, make sure to compare your options before you apply.