Finance for an Anytime Fitness franchise
Your options to buy into the success of Anytime Fitness.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The fitness world is exploding and Anytime Fitness is a popular choice for many Australians. Offering convenience for people looking to exercise on their own schedules, this successful fitness chain has continued to expand in recent years.
If you're considering buying into an Anytime Fitness franchise there are a variety of important considerations, including how you're going to finance it. This guide will take you through several financing options available to you.
Costs and profitability
How much does an Anytime Fitness franchise cost?
The total initial investment will be around $300,000 plus the following applicable costs:
- Fit-out costs for the gym of up to $290,000
- An equipment lease package which can cost up to $240,000
- A one-time franchise fee of $37,500
- Ongoing monthly payment of $549
- No fees paid based on total sales
What other costs do I need to consider?
There are also costs outside what Anytime Fitness charges. These include:
- GST. Goods and Services Tax (GST) will likely be payable on your franchise purchase. While you will recover this cost when you lodge your first Business Activity Statement (BAS), you will be out that amount in the interim. GST will be 10% of the base purchase price.
- Working capital. Remember to consider the money required to actually run the business as well. It will take time to build up your working capital from membership fees so you need to ensure you have a sufficient amount to cover costs and debts. The average setup time for an Anytime Fitness club is three to six months, so you will require that time to accumulate membership revenue.
- Franchisor's legal costs. Ensure that Anytime Fitness includes legal costs in its overall price, otherwise you may have to pay an additional charge for preparing franchise contracts and leasing documents.
How profitable is an Anytime Fitness franchise?
Anytime Fitness is one of the two biggest 24-hour gym chains in Australia, the other being Jetts. It currently has over 420 clubs in Australia with reputable branding which is helpful in the startup phase. According to topfranchise.com.au, an Anytime Fitness franchise boasts 120% comparative growth.
The company will help you (the franchisee) determine viable markets and provide assistance in selecting an appropriate site. The territory you grant will also be exclusive which eliminates the risk of internal franchise competition. Once you begin to make sales Anytime Fitness franchisors will take a percentage of your gross sales.
Anytime Fitness also provides comprehensive training to help franchisees make the business profitable. There is a mandatory one-week training, followed up with daily or weekly assistance as required. You also have access to an online franchisor hub for support on issues that may arise in the startup phase.
What options do I have to finance an Anytime Fitness franchise?
Anytime Fitness is a successful franchise that can deliver stable revenue which gives you a few financing options:
- Unsecured business loan. If you don't have property to offer as security you can opt for an unsecured business loan. While there aren't a lot of options from the banks, many smaller business lenders offer unsecured business loans. You will generally be able to apply for between $5,000 and $500,000 and have one to two years to repay it.
- Secured business loan. If you're able to offer commercial or residential property as security then you can consider a secured business loan. As these are less risky for lenders, you will have more options here. Banks and other lenders can offer longer loan terms (10 years or more) when property is used as security for a business loan and you will be able to apply for up to $1,000,000 with some lenders.
- Business line of credit. If you're unsure how much you will need to borrow or just want cash on hand while you're setting up the gym, you may want to consider a business line of credit. If you're offering security you will generally be able to borrow up to 80% of the property's value. For unsecured lines of credit, you can apply for a limit up to around $400,000 which should suit the startup costs associated with an Anytime Fitness franchise.
- Peer-to-peer business loan. Another option to consider is a peer-to-peer (P2P) lender. When you apply with a P2P business lender, your loan is opened up to a loan marketplace and matched to an individual or group of investors that have a risk appetite for financing your business. You will receive a rate tailored to the risk your business represents.
Compare the below loan options suitable for purchasing an Anytime Fitness franchise
What should I consider when comparing my financing options?
There is a lot to think about when it comes to finding the right business finance. Here is what to keep in mind when sorting through your options:
- Are you able to offer security? This may help your chances of being approved and will give you more loan options to consider. However, how much you can borrow is tied to the property value and you also risk losing the property if the business fails.
- Do you have previous business experience? As this is a new business, some lenders may require you to prove your ability to run a business before they approve you for finance. You may need to give details of your experience.
- How much can you afford to repay? Remember to take into account the fees Anytime Fitness will charge when working out how much you will be able to repay. You may also find some business loans are more flexible than others in terms of repayments.
- Will you need ongoing access to capital? If you know how much finance you need then you can opt for a standard business loan where you will borrow a lump sum of money and repay it over a set term. If you are unsure or want the option to use more credit if you need it, you can consider a line of credit business loan.
- What fees and interest rates apply? Remember to compare the fees are rates of the business loan you are considering alongside similar loans to ensure it is competitive.
How do I get approved for finance?
There is no surefire way to get approved for a business loan, but here are a few things to keep in mind when applying:
- Eligibility criteria: Each business loan will come with minimum eligibility criteria that you need to meet in order to be approved. Go through the requirements carefully and make sure that you meet the criteria and can provide proof. If you have any concerns about meeting criteria, contact the lender directly.
- Business plan and financial forecasts: Since your loan application is to start a new business, the lender will have no business financials history from which to assess you. Instead, you can present your business plan and financial projections as well as performance of other Anytime Fitness stores to support your application.
- Your experience: You may need to provide evidence of your own business experience and capabilities to support your application.
- You're buying into an established brand
- You will receive comprehensive training and support
- You will have exclusive territory
- There are high entry and setup costs
More guides on Finder
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Christmas comedown: 1 in 4 Aussies worried about housing costs
One in four (25%) Australians are worried about how they will pay the rent or mortgage after Christmas, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site. Find out how the Finder App can help save you money in 2021.
How to start a fitness business
Read these top tips to help you launch a successful fitness company.
How to start a vintage clothing store business
Here's how you could turn your love for vintage clothes into a money-making enterprise.
How to start an electrician business
Here's how to get started if you want to turn your skills as an electrician into a business.
2018 Toyota HiLux Review
Looking to purchase a 4x4 ute? It might be worth adding the 2018 Toyota HiLux to your shortlist.
Solar panel quotes Sydney
What you need to know to get started with solar energy in Sydney.
When does your owner occupier loan become an investment loan?
Do you have to tell your lender if you rent out a room and turn your mortgage into an investment loan?
Serve up a new look with our full kitchen renovation guide including kitchen renovation cost.
Ask an Expert