Review: American Express FX International Payments
Earn Membership Reward points when you send and receive foreign currencies.
American Express can help you pay suppliers overseas at a better rate than normally offered by the banks, whether you have an Amex card or not.
Transfer money to more than 110 countries in some 80 currencies and save even more on your transaction by taking advantage of fluctuating rates with spot orders and forward contracts.
If your company has a credit card with American Express, you’ll benefit from its rewards program and earn points for every $30 you wire overseas.
However, one drawback is the hidden transfer fees for outgoing foreign and same-currency payments, which you won't be able to see until after you initiate a transfer. We'll go into all of this and more in the full review below.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
3 - 5 days
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
|Product Name||American Express money transfer business|
|Min. Transfer Amount||$0|
|Max. Transfer Amount||No limit|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Phone, Bank Account to Bank Account|
|Transfer Options||Regular payments, One off payments, Forward contracts|
Minimum transfer time
|3 - 5 days|
|Customer Service||Phone, Email|
|Available Currencies||AED, ANG, AUD, BBD, BDT, BGN, BHD, BMD, BND, BSD, BWP, BZD, CAD, CHF, CNY, COP, CRC, CZK, DKK, DOP, DZD, EGP, EUR, FJD, GBP, GHS, GTQ, HKD, HNL, HRK, HTG, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, JMD, JOD, JPY, KES, KRW, KWD, KYD, LBP, LKR, MAD, MNT, MOP, MUR, MWK, MXN, NAD, NGN, NOK, NZD, OMR, PEN, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, PYG, QAR, RON, RUB, RWF, SAR, SBD, SEK, SGD, SLL, THB, TND, TOP, TRY, TTD, TWD, TZS, UGX, USD, UYU, VND, VUV, XCD, XOF, ZAR|
|Exchange Rate Updates||Real time|
What are the fees for sending money with American Express?
Though you won’t pay fees for opening or maintaining an account, or for receiving incoming currency payments, you’ll see fees on your outgoing foreign and same-currency payments – and it won't be clear what they are until you start a transfer.
The fees depend on your recipient's country and the amount of money you’re sending. Any fees are deducted from your connected bank account.
What about Amex's foreign exchange rates?
You can find Amex's live rates on its website. Rates fluctuate with the market, so you'll know what you have to pay once you start your transaction and before you finalise the deal.
What services does Amex offer for international payments?
Make one-off outgoing and incoming transfers, as well as:
- Forward contracts. Lock in today's exchange rate for up to to 12 months.
- Foreign currency drafts. A quick solution to getting a cheque overseas that's much faster than sending one by mail.
- Rewards. If your business has an American Express card, you could earn reward points for every $30 you transfer. Use the points for things like shopping, travel and dining.
- Easy to use. You can lodge your invoice online or over the phone.
- Variety of transfer options. Choose from bank transfers, foreign currency drafts, cross-currency transactions and forward contracts.
- Extensive currencies worldwide. You can make payments in more than 80 currencies.
- Rewards. If you’re a cardholder, you can earn rewards for every $30 that you transfer.
- Low fees. There are no set-up or maintenance fees, and no fees for incoming currency payments.
- Keep records of payments. American Express keeps a record of all of your transfers.
- Limited customer service. Customer support is only available Monday through Friday.
- Transfer fees. Fees for outgoing foreign and same-currency payments are only made available after you initiate a transfer.
- Foreign exchange rates. While you receive real-time access to foreign exchange rates, these may not be available outside of business hours.
How do I make international payments through American Express?
- Sign up. Provide your name and the name, address and phone number of your business, then American Express will confirm your info to verify your account.
- Contact FX International Business Payments. Once you place an order overseas, log into your account or call and provide the supplier with your information.
- Lock in your rates. Once you provide the details of your transfer, your rate is locked in.
- Make your payment. Initiate the payment over the phone or online.
- Manage your international payments. Keep track of your transfers, upload files to save time and reduce errors and link your account to any Australian business bank all through your account.
- Get support. Customer support is available for you Monday through Friday by calling 1300 885 749, though you can access the online system 24/7.
With over a century of experience, American Express offers an easy way to settle up with suppliers overseas in almost any country you do business with. The company claims to have competitive exchange rates and fees, but those aren’t clear until you register your business and start a transfer.
Compare other overseas fund transfer companies for businesses before deciding what’s best for your business.
What are some alternatives for business transfers?
Use our comparison calculator to assess the transfer fees and exchange rates of our money transfer partners when sending money overseas.
Frequently asked questions
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.