See where some prominent tax accountants in Melbourne are located and compare with online tax return services.
There are a host of tax services available to residents of Australia’s second city. Some of the larger providers will have offices and others will offer their services entirely online, but rest assured, whatever way you prefer to do your taxes, you’ll find a service to help you out. If you don't want to visit a tax agent, completing your tax return online through a registered agent is a great option.
- Online DIY tax returns starting from $19
- Online Tax Pro starting from $135*
- Business tax returns from $280*
H&R Block Tax Return Offer
Enjoy the flexibility of lodging your tax return online with H&R Block.
Use the online DIY tax return system to lodge your individual or business tax return in less than 10 minutes. H&R Block will guide you through the process with tips and tricks and an accountant will check your return before sending it to the ATO.
Or opt for an Online Tax Pro to lodge your return online with the help of expert tax consultants who will prepare your return for you and maximise your refund.
Best tax agents and accountants in Melbourne*
**The tax agents compared on this page are chosen from a range of products finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms "Best" and "Top" are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your personal financial circumstances when comparing products.
What areas in Melbourne are tax agents available?
In cities as populous as Melbourne, there are tax service offices just about everywhere. We’ve given you a list of suburbs in which you can expect to find some of the most popular providers.
|Tax Agent||Key Locations||Phone number||Price|
|H&R Block||Collins Street, MelbourneClarendon Street, Melbourne
Smith Street, Collingwood
Bourke Street, Docklands
Swan Street, Richmond
|03 9131 040203 8647 1400
03 9131 0491
03 9131 0603
03 9131 0426
|Starting from $70 for under 21s|
|ITP||Wray Cres, Mount EvelynLittle Collins Street, Melbourne
Canterbury Road, Blackburn
Langhorne Street, Dandenong
Centre Road, Bentleigh
|03 9736 37881300 136 729
1300 136 729
1300 136 729
1300 136 729
|Starting from $79 for under 21s|
Please note that this is not a complete list, but a snapshot of some key locations. If you don’t see your suburb listed here that doesn’t mean there aren’t services available in your area.
Make sure that anyone you are thinking of trusting with your tax is fully licensed and registered. To check this, make sure they are registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). The TPB section of the official Australian Government website has a full list of registered tax services.
How to compare tax agents in Melbourne
After you've checked that the agent is registered correctly, there are three important factors in deciding which tax service you should use. These include:
- Do they offer the service you require? (Individual, business, trust etc.)
- What is their method of contact? (Entirely online, in person, over phone etc.)
- What are their fees?
What are some pros and cons of using a tax agent?
- Ease. Tax can be taxing. If finance makes your head spin then a tax agent is a handy way to hand over your financial information and let the professionals do the rest.
- Minimise errors. It’s important that you get everything completely accurate in your tax return to avoid penalties and other fees, a professional will take these concerns off your hands.
- Maximum deductions. If you’re not sure what you can and can’t deduct, then perhaps its best to use a tax agent, who will know exactly what you will and won’t get away with.
- Fees. The fees and commission can sometimes amount to a reasonable amount of money. If you want to avoid paying out any more than you have to then you might want to go it alone.
What questions should I ask my tax agent?
- Are you fully certified with the TPB?
- Do you have expertise with my type of return?
- What deductions am I entitled to?
- What are your fees and are there any hidden charges?
- What are the key dates and timings of my return?
- What can I do in the coming year to increase my deduction for the next tax year?
If you’re living or working in Melbourne and you’re looking for a tax agent to take your return off your hands, you’re in luck. There are a range of services available to you. Alternatively, you can complete your tax return with the help of a registered tax agent online from anywhere in Australia. Use out table above to compare your options.