There are a host of tax services available to residents of Australia’s second city. Some of the larger providers will have offices and others will offer their services entirely online, but rest assured, whatever way you prefer to do your taxes, you’ll find a service to help you out. If you don't want to visit a tax agent, completing your tax return online through a registered agent is a great option.
Best tax agents and accountants in Melbourne**This is the minimum fee charged for income item tax returns. The price listed on this table is subject to terms and conditions. To find out more or to receive an accurate quote for your tax return, please visit the agent's website to submit an enquiry.
*The products compared on this page are chosen from a range of offers available to us and are not representative of all the products available in the market. There is no perfect order or perfect ranking system for the products we list on our Site, so we provide you with the functionality to self-select, re-order and compare products. The initial display order is influenced by a range of factors including conversion rates, product costs and commercial arrangements, so please don't interpret the listing order as an endorsement or recommendation from us. We're happy to provide you with the tools you need to make better decisions, but we'd like you to make your own decisions and compare and assess products based on your own preferences, circumstances and needs.
What areas in Melbourne are tax agents available?
In cities as populous as Melbourne, there are tax service offices just about everywhere. We’ve given you a list of suburbs in which you can expect to find some of the most popular providers.
|Tax Agent||Key Locations||Phone number||Price|
|H&R Block||Collins Street, MelbourneClarendon Street, Melbourne|
Smith Street, Collingwood
Bourke Street, Docklands
Swan Street, Richmond
|03 9131 040203 8647 1400|
03 9131 0491
03 9131 0603
03 9131 0426
|Starting from $70 for under 21s|
|ITP||Wray Cres, Mount EvelynLittle Collins Street, Melbourne|
Canterbury Road, Blackburn
Langhorne Street, Dandenong
Centre Road, Bentleigh
|03 9736 37881300 136 729|
1300 136 729
1300 136 729
1300 136 729
|Starting from $79 for under 21s|
Please note that this is not a complete list, but a snapshot of some key locations. If you don’t see your suburb listed here that doesn’t mean there aren’t services available in your area.
Make sure that anyone you are thinking of trusting with your tax is fully licensed and registered. To check this, make sure they are registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). The TPB section of the official Australian Government website has a full list of registered tax services.
How to compare tax agents in Melbourne
After you've checked that the agent is registered correctly, there are three important factors in deciding which tax service you should use. These include:
- Do they offer the service you require? (Individual, business, trust etc.)
- What is their method of contact? (Entirely online, in person, over phone etc.)
- What are their fees?
What are some pros and cons of using a tax agent?
- Ease. Tax can be taxing. If finance makes your head spin then a tax agent is a handy way to hand over your financial information and let the professionals do the rest.
- Minimise errors. It’s important that you get everything completely accurate in your tax return to avoid penalties and other fees, a professional will take these concerns off your hands.
- Maximum deductions. If you’re not sure what you can and can’t deduct, then perhaps its best to use a tax agent, who will know exactly what you will and won’t get away with.
- Fees. The fees and commission can sometimes amount to a reasonable amount of money. If you want to avoid paying out any more than you have to then you might want to go it alone.
What questions should I ask my tax agent?
- Are you fully certified with the TPB?
- Do you have expertise with my type of return?
- What deductions am I entitled to?
- What are your fees and are there any hidden charges?
- What are the key dates and timings of my return?
- What can I do in the coming year to increase my deduction for the next tax year?
If you’re living or working in Melbourne and you’re looking for a tax agent to take your return off your hands, you’re in luck. There are a range of services available to you. Alternatively, you can complete your tax return with the help of a registered tax agent online from anywhere in Australia. Use out table above to compare your options.
What's trending right now with tax?