Save with balance transfers, 0% deals & platinum perks exclusive to finder
Compare cards

Find a Tax Agent in Melbourne

What tax service providers are there in Melbourne?

There are a host of tax services available to residents of Australia’s second city. Some of the larger providers will have offices and others will offer their services entirely online, but rest assured, whatever way you prefer to do your taxes, you’ll find a service to help you out.

How do tax accountants in Melbourne  work?

Each different tax agent will work in a slightly different way, but only slightly. At the core of all of their services is you giving your financial information to them, them completing your return and your return being submitted to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The differences mainly lie in the amounts that you can complete online, over the phone or in person. The first thing you’ll want to check about your tax service is that they’re fully registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). Their website keeps a list of all registered tax service providers in Australia, so stick to services that you can find on the list. TPB registry of licensed tax services. After this, you’ll want to find a service that you can afford, that covers the service that you require and that works in the way you want to work.

Back to top

How to compare tax agents in Melbourne

There are three important factors in deciding which tax service you should use. These are:

  1. Do they offer the service you require? (Individual, business, trust etc.)
  2. What is their method of contact? (Entirely online, in person, over phone etc.)
  3. What are their fees?

At we believe in making things a little easier for you compare, so we’ve previewed some of Australia’s largest and most widespread tax services, including full information about what services they provide, the way that they work and their full fees. So when you’ve finished reading this article, take a look through our provider guides to find one that works for you.

Back to top

What areas in Melbourne are tax agents available?

In cities as populous as Melbourne, there are tax service offices just about everywhere. We’ve given you a list of suburbs in which you can expect to find them. Untitled design (1)

  • Eastern Suburbs

Including Belgrave, Balwyn, Kew, Box Hill, Mont Albert, Camberwell, Ringwood, Doncaster, Templestowe, Chadstone, Glen Waverley, Clayton, Oakleigh, Ferntree Gully, Rowville and Emerald.

  • Inner Melbourne

Including Melbourne CBD and immediate surrounding suburbs, such as Carlton, Flemington, Kensington, Port Melbourne, West Melbourne, South Yarra, Docklands, Albert Park, Balaclava, St Kilda, Collingwood, Richmond, Fairfield, Cremorne and Abbotsford.

  • Western Suburbs

Including Maribyrnong, Melton, Wyndham, Brimbank and Hobsons Bay. Suburbs within these districts include Keilor, Sunshine, Deer Park, Williamstown, Frankston, Calder Park, St Albans, Altona, Newport, Braybrook, Footscray, Burnside, Rockbank, Laverton North, Mambourin and Tarneit.

  • Northern Suburbs

Including Gowanbrae and Glenroy and as far east as St Helena and Briar Hill. This includes Heidelberg, Greensborough, Ivanhoe, Preston, Bundoora and Reservoir.

  • South East Melbourne

Include Beaumaris, Brighton East, Hampton East, Mornington, Pakenham, Cranbourne, Narre Warren, Dandenong and Clyde.

Back to top

What are some pros and cons of using a tax agent?

  • Ease. Tax can be taxing. If finance makes your head spin then a tax agent is a handy way to hand over your financial information and let the professionals do the rest.
  • Minimise errors. It’s important that you get everything completely accurate in your tax return to avoid penalties and other fees, a professional will take these concerns off your hands.
  • Maximum deductions. If you’re not sure what you can and can’t deduct, then perhaps its best to use a tax agent, who will know exactly what you will and won’t get away with.
  • Fees. The fees and commission can sometimes amount to a reasonable amount of money. If you want to avoid paying out any more than you have to then you might want to go it alone.
Back to top

What are questions to ask my tax agent?

  1. Are you fully certified with the TPB?
  2. Do you have expertise with my type of return?
  3. What deductions am I entitled to?
  4. What are your fees and are there any hidden charges?
  5. What are the key dates and timings of my return?
  6. What can I do in the coming year to increase my deduction for the next tax year?

If you’re living or working in Melbourne and you’re looking for a tax agent to take your return off your hands, you’re in luck. There are a range of services available to you.

Users are also requested to read all terms and conditions related document carefully before committing to any Tax Specialists Service.

Shirley Liu

Shirley is's publisher for banking and investments. She has completed a Masters in Commerce (Finance) and is the author of hundreds of articles. She is passionate about helping Aussies make an informed decision, save money and find the best deal for their needs.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    RyeJanuary 22, 2016

    a DSP recipient who got early release super last few years. seeing medical professionals quite often.
    does he better to get help from a tax accountant?

    • Staff
      ShirleyJanuary 22, 2016Staff

      Hi Rye,

      Thanks for your question.

      Since we can only provide general advice, you may want to consider the benefits of having a tax accountant. They will advice on the most tax-efficient way to draw on your super, but for a fee.

      Some accountants may offer a free consultation.


Ask a question